"Save As" function?

Started by DethbyIT, November 15, 2011, 03:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DethbyIT

I think the "Save" function we now have (CW2) is a huge plus for all the players - even in the relatively simple games. It makes it so much easier (and tempting) to experiment with different approaches to problem-solving.

Is there any known method to "Save" a game in progress to a file on my computer? I would love to be able to store more than the alloted 8 games and return to some of the tougher ones as I have time.

The reason for asking this is that I just accidentally saved over the top of my "Liberation Pinball" game that I've been working on for almost 2 months <insert lots of rude words here>.

Thanks,
dbit

thepenguin

for a PC the save games are stored in %appdata%\CreeperWorld2, and so they can be moved around from there
We have become the creeper...

DethbyIT

Quote from: thepenguin on November 15, 2011, 03:52:14 PM
for a PC the save games are stored in %appdata%\CreeperWorld2, and so they can be moved around from there

Excellent!
On Windows 7, it is:
C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\CreeperWorld2 - with all 8 slots, plus the QuickSave showing as *.CW2 files.

I had Pinball sitting in Slot 7, so I could have saved that somewhere else on my HDD - then copied it back any time I wanted to give it another go - right?

thepenguin

Quote from: DethbyIT on November 15, 2011, 04:06:16 PM
I had Pinball sitting in Slot 7, so I could have saved that somewhere else on my HDD - then copied it back any time I wanted to give it another go - right?

correct, I wrote a script to get all the files out of the folder, but I never wrote the part to put them back in because I didn't want to over-write any of my saves by accident

1. Open notepad
2. Copy and paste this code
@echo off
if exist "C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Pinball" echo d | xcopy "%appdata%\Creeperworld2" "%cd%\Creeperworld2" /e /s
if not exist "C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Pinball" echo d | robocopy "%appdata%\Creeperworld2" "%cd%\Creeperworld2" /e /s

3.Save as GetCW2Dir.bat
We have become the creeper...

DethbyIT

Ahh - simple is good!
Thank you for the Batch code. I can always read those things, but not much at writing them.