game randomly crashes

Started by Ebon Heart, May 15, 2011, 01:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ebon Heart

every once in a while, the game just crashes, it's happened on two maps so far and made me have to start over because I didn't save... and it always seems to happen within 30 seconds of when I would have beaten the level. it's incredibly annoying.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

Sqaz

What were you doing at the moment of the crash?
Maybe it's something with your computer, since noone in the beta had that problem?

Blaze

You must have a horrible computer or it has something wrong with it because my computer is most likely the worst out of everyone else's here!

I've never had it crash on me, send me back to the menu, yes, crash, no.

Kamron3

This needs to be moved to support.

Ebon Heart

it happens when I place nullifiers, idk why. I was placing the very last nullifier for the map, "intelligence" and it crashed... and I didn't save!

Kamron3

Quote from: Ebon_Heart on May 15, 2011, 02:36:29 AM
it happens when I place nullifiers, idk why. I was placing the very last nullifier for the map, "intelligence" and it crashed... and I didn't save!

Shh and go to sleep and wake up in the morning with a brand new start. :D

Grauniad

Quote from: Ebon_Heart on May 15, 2011, 01:02:32 AM
every once in a while, the game just crashes, it's happened on two maps so far and made me have to start over because I didn't save... and it always seems to happen within 30 seconds of when I would have beaten the level. it's incredibly annoying.

Do you have any more info?

Start with stuff like what OS, the configuration of your machine (memory, processor), the version of AIR that you are running, what maps you were playing, etc.

Use this to determine your version of AIR: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407625.html

Download a new version of Adobe AIR from here: http://get.adobe.com/air/?promoid=BUIGQ. Install it and see if that helps.

If you know how to look at Windows event logs, can you see any significant events in there?
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Ebon Heart

I have the most recent version of Adobe Air... and nothing spectacular happened at the time.

Kamron3

Quote from: Ebon_Heart on May 15, 2011, 02:42:32 AM
I have the most recent version of Adobe Air... and nothing spectacular happened at the time.

Strange, does it just stop responding to you? Or does it display an error message?

Ebon Heart

I'll place a nullifier, then a message will pop up, "we're sorry, creeper world 2 has encountered an error and needs to close" no lagg or anything, it just... encounters an error.
EDIT: as it's only happened twice so far, I'm not sure if it's the nullifiers that cause it or yet. It may very well be a coincidence.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Kamron3 on May 15, 2011, 01:33:37 AM
This needs to be moved to support.

Because new players will probably look for the CW2 section first, it could be a good thing to have 2 separate support sections for both games:
- it will prevent lots of posts from being moved
- it will be more clear what game is causing problems
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Ebon Heart

The best I could find was cw2 gameplay discussion, so I put it there. I thought this was just cw1 support, but what do I know?

mthw2vc

It is officially KnuckleCracker support, although given that CW2 hasn't even been out 24 hrs yet, there aren't many CW2 topics here just yet.

knucracker

If you are having crash problems with AIR then do all of the normal things like reboot, shutdown browsers, other apps, etc.  If on a clean start you still have a problem, then the next thing to check is your video drivers.  AIR will use acceleration if you have the right card, so your video drivers can also be an issue.  If you have the steam client installed, you can let it update your drivers.  In the steam client, click the steam menu in the upper left hand corner and select "Update video drivers".  This is probably the easiest way to make sure they are up to date.  Alternatively, you can of course download and update the drivers yourself.

If you still have problems after that, then look for similar issues in other apps.  Sometimes you may find hints in other crashes as to what might cause the system instability.