Mapmakers - submit a score for map approval

Started by Karsten75, April 02, 2010, 11:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karsten75

The new map approval system has gone live. Starting July 11 2010, only maps with a score can be uploaded.

You must now submit a score before uploading the map. You, or a tester that you send the map to, can submit this score. The only condition is that the map must never be saved again using the map editor - the same file* that was played must be submitted for the score to be recognized. Scores must be submitted before the map is uploaded or approved  - you will not be able to see the score, but it will be recorded and will be available as soon as your map is approved.

1. Open Creeper World.

Check that you have the most current version of Creeper World. As of now that is version 380 0572. If you do not hav ethe latest game patch, download it from here: http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/patches.php

Then click on the green Custom Maps button. Do not click on the Launch Your Custom Game button. that button does not allow you to submit a score.

2. On the Custom Maps screen, click the blue Import Custom Map button.

3. Navigate to the location where you saved your custom map, click on the file name and click Open on the dialog.

4. Now play your map to completion. On the completion graph, click the Continue button.

5. On the screen to submit your score, fill in at your name (optional - if you don't, your uploaded score will be recorded as "anonymous"), and click on the Submit button.

It's that easy. Having a score settles all arguments on whether your map can be beat.

All maps that pass the rules for acceptable content and that can be beat will be published, regardless of hard or complex they are.

*Note: The file can be sent from one player to another and it can be renamed by either the map author or the person play-testing the map. The only condition is that it must not be saved with the map editor. Each time the map is saved with the map editor, a unique uid is assigned to the map. It is this uid that is used to match the scores to the map in the database.

UpperKEES

Great!

Does the map already have to be uploaded (awaiting approval), or can I submit a score even before uploading it?
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Karsten75

Updated the first post to indicate that scores can be submitted for any map, at any time, whether the map has been uploaded or not.

Xylnalya

Is this made mandatory, or just to 'speed up' the approval process?

Sqaz

No, unfortunatly it isn't mandatory.

But Karsten: UpperKEES just noticed that I posted a score on my River map, and it said number of plays 1 while this was the second score I uploaded.
This apperently happens when the name of the map you save on your own computer is different than the name you give your map when you upload it.

Well, it's just to let you know, cause it shouldn't be like that.

Karsten75

Quote from: Sqaz on April 02, 2010, 02:19:27 PM
No, unfortunatly not.

But Karsten: UpperKEES just noticed that I posted a score on my River map, and it said number of plays 1 while this was the second score I uploaded.
This apperently happens when the name of the map you save on your own computer is different than the name you give your map when you upload it.

Well, it's just to let you know, cause it shouldn't be like that.

OK, I'm testing it now.

I cannot reproduce this. But what I think may be the case is that if your first score was better, then perhaps it did not upload or update your second score.  I have noticed (and should have remembered before I uploaded a map to test this) that if I play and get a good score, then try again, get a slightly worse score and upload, I still show 1 play and the lower score. If my 3rd attempt is again lower than the 1st, then it will update to show the 3 attempts. I'd test it out, but don't want to clutter virgil's maps database and give him a lot of extra work to delete maps.

Sqaz

The second score was better on that map, did you change the name of your original map whan you had to give in the name to upload it (like first your map was saved in a cwm file called A, but when uploading it you called your map B). Otherwise I have no idea what it could be.

SPIFFEN

Maps with scores should be uploaded before maps without scores .
But maps with no scores should also be uploaded ,
they should only get low priorty to be uploaded .

Many times i dont have time to finnish playing the map ,
so i uploade it before i post an score to it .
So i play it later when i have time .

And it would be nice if makers used copy and paste
so the maps get the same name .
Its confusing when the names is diffrent .
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

Sqaz

Quote from: SPIFFEN on April 02, 2010, 03:52:19 PM

That's a great idea, nobody is forced to put scores on their maps but still you are rewarded when you do so.

This might really cause people to put scores on all their maps.

Karsten75

Quote from: Sqaz on April 02, 2010, 03:49:18 PM
The second score was better on that map, did you change the name of your original map whan you had to give in the name to upload it (like first your map was saved in a cwm file called A, but when uploading it you called your map B). Otherwise I have no idea what it could be.

So you renamed the file between playing it and uploading it? I cannot see how that would affect it.  What it might be is that you installed the map twice in your Custom maps list. once when you played it and then you renamed it, uploaded it with a different name, down... oh heck, it gets too complicated.

All I know is that map scores are there with a uid that is immutable. All scores for a map with the same uid is recorded in the same place. Even if I renamed the file, the map uid does not change - I tested that.

Kamron3

As the popularity of the game goes up, the maps should be in a section of the website inside of the forums.

_k

Karsten75

Quote from: SPIFFEN on April 02, 2010, 03:52:19 PM

Yes, I was hoping Virgil would find the time and that the data was located in a way that the preliminary score could be displayed on the map approver screens. It would substantially cut down the testing time on the more difficult maps where doubt exist.

ThePhantom

would a custom maps score still be added if I had saved another map's starting data to it by accident then brought back the original data with a system recovery from checkpoint

if it doesn't I'll need to replay a map I just added lol
This is for the record.. I will not go silently into the night! I will not go without a fight! Tonight I make my final stand! I go forth in the hell I choose for myself, not the one chosen for me! I will return from this hell, or leave this world knowing I died a cause I wanted to die for!
~Phantom

Kamron3

Karsten75

Quote from: Kamron3 on April 16, 2010, 05:56:51 PM
For my recent Tribon - Pt. 6 submission.

OK, I released it. Thanks for the score.