Unapproved Map Discussion

Started by knucracker, April 14, 2010, 02:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

Description:

QuoteThe Creeper is (still) rising fast, so you better hurry with the mortars.

Rejection message:

QuoteI have rejected this map because the creeper is indeed rising fast, so I'd like you to submit a score before I can approve it.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

UpperKEES

Descriptions:

QuoteYou are in for a Tough Climb.

QuoteYou are in for a Tough Pass.

QuoteYou are in for a Tough Climb and Pass.

Rejection message (3 x):

I have rejected this map because it again features the same terrain as Artillery 1-4. Seven similar maps (although the game play might be different) become rather boring and I have to apply the same rules to everybody, especially with so many maps in the queue. I hope you'll understand after reading the discussion about it.

UpperKEES

Description:

QuoteVery CPU intensive energy collection goes up to 50+! Lot's of Blasters and Drones! Enjoy!

Rejection message:

QuoteI have rejected this map because it's too CPU intensive. There is no need for a 50+ energy collection, as Odin City can't disperse more than 32 packets per second.

UpperKEES

Description:

QuoteVery hard level with 3 Random Facts!

Rejection message:

QuoteI have rejected this map because it is impossible to connect to the lower left totem. You have obviously not played and tested this map yourself, which is mandatory as you've seen above the upload form. Please submit a score when uploading maps in the future. You can read here how to do this:
http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=980.0

UpperKEES

Description:

QuoteImpossible

Rejection message:

QuoteDon't you think we have enough to do here? I will reject any future maps clearly created just to bother people without any further notice.

Karsten75

Quote from: UpperKEES on May 26, 2010, 05:07:48 PM
Description:

QuoteImpossible

Rejection message:

QuoteDon't you think we have enough to do here? I will reject any future maps clearly created just to bother people without any further notice.

I don't know what's funnier - the map or your response!   :D

UpperKEES

Yeah, I get a bit sick of all the crappy maps today. I had to reject 7 of them in just 1 evening. Is it so hard to create (and test!) an original map? Apparently yes....

BermanPost

Quote from: UpperKEES on May 26, 2010, 01:34:48 PM
Description:

Rejection message:

QuoteI have rejected this map because the creeper is indeed rising fast, so I'd like you to submit a score before I can approve it.

Done (or at least attempted).

Karsten75

Quote from: BermanPost on May 27, 2010, 06:19:44 PM
Quote from: UpperKEES on May 26, 2010, 01:34:48 PM
Description:

Rejection message:

Done (or at least attempted).

Your score came through just fine, so I approved your map.

BermanPost

Quote from: UpperKEES on May 26, 2010, 01:46:57 PM
Descriptions:

QuoteYou are in for a Tough Climb.

QuoteYou are in for a Tough Pass.

QuoteYou are in for a Tough Climb and Pass.

Rejection message (3 x):

I have rejected this map because it again features the same terrain as Artillery 1-4. Seven similar maps (although the game play might be different) become rather boring and I have to apply the same rules to everybody, especially with so many maps in the queue. I hope you'll understand after reading the discussion about it.

Yeah, I get it.  It is not enough to design tough maps that require interesting/unique strategies, people want to be visually entertained as well.  Unfortunately, while I think I am good at one of those I do not have much skill in the other.  Perhaps some sort of collaboration is in order...

BermanPost

I did a redesign of Tough Climb to make the map look different without disrupting the game play and strategy and have submitted it.  Also, I submitted a score with it already assuming you agree that is looks sufficiently different so you know it is possible.

UpperKEES

Quote from: BermanPost on May 27, 2010, 06:36:13 PM
Yeah, I get it.  It is not enough to design tough maps that require interesting/unique strategies, people want to be visually entertained as well.  Unfortunately, while I think I am good at one of those I do not have much skill in the other.  Perhaps some sort of collaboration is in order...

:)

You don't need to create pieces of art of course, just something new to explore. Custom backgrounds often make it harder to see what you're doing when wrong colors have been chosen for instance. I know some people who asked somebody else with graphical experience to create the background images for them (and these maps look very nice).

When you look at the number of downloads for certain maps you'll see that maps with interesting terrain quickly draw the attention of people doing a quick scan for a nice map to play. If it lacks good game play however, people will tend to ignore future maps by the same author. Besides that you will have to accept that rather hard maps (like the ones I make myself) will be played by less people, just because not everybody is able to finish them or because people don't have the time to spend 30-45 minutes on a map, but rather play 2-3 quick ones that can be completed in 5-10 minutes. Luckily you'll always be able to find a map of your likings with over 2000 maps available.

Karsten75

Quote from: UpperKEES on May 28, 2010, 04:13:56 AM
Quote from: BermanPost on May 27, 2010, 06:36:13 PM
Yeah, I get it.  It is not enough to design tough maps that require interesting/unique strategies, people want to be visually entertained as well.  Unfortunately, while I think I am good at one of those I do not have much skill in the other.  Perhaps some sort of collaboration is in order...

:)

You don't need to create pieces of art of course, just something new to explore. Custom backgrounds often make it harder to see what you're doing when wrong colors have been chosen for instance. I know some people who asked somebody else with graphical experience to create the background images for them (and these maps look very nice).

When you look at the number of downloads for certain maps you'll see that maps with interesting terrain quickly draw the attention of people doing a quick scan for a nice map to play. If it lacks good game play however, people will tend to ignore future maps by the same author. Besides that you will have to accept that rather hard maps (like the ones I make myself) will be played by less people, just because not everybody is able to finish them or because people don't have the time to spend 30-45 minutes on a map, but rather play 2-3 quick ones that can be completed in 5-10 minutes. Luckily you'll always be able to find a map of your likings with over 2000 maps available.

Please let's move as much discussion out of this thread as possible. As for terrain variety, let me just point out that Expert Round now has over 1,000 downloads, making it one of the most popular maps on here.  :)  Now that it has made the list of maps that can be pwned, I suspect that will steadily grow,

UpperKEES

Quote from: Karsten75 on May 28, 2010, 09:12:27 AM
As for terrain variety, let me just point out that Expert Round now has over 1,000 downloads, making it one of the most popular maps on here.  :)  Now that it has made the list of maps that can be pwned, I suspect that will steadily grow,

Expert Round just proves that some maps can become a hype (at that time) and that the number of downloads is just one indicator that doesn't say too much about the quality of a map, as it is actually one of the easiest to beat. We see a few of these every week nowadays and no one is very enthusiastic about them.

Regarding the list of maps that can be pwned: it should be 10 times longer. I stopped adding maps over 2 months ago. Just use the 0-5 minute time filter; 90% of the maps displayed could be listed in that thread, so I don't think it's very valuable.

UpperKEES

To all map makers:

Please see here why your map may not have been reviewed/approved/posted yet. My apologies for the likely delay.