Custom Map #4463: No guns. By: WWarrior

Started by AutoPost, May 29, 2017, 11:23:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #4463: No guns

Author: WWarrior
Size: 129x63

Desc:
On this map cannons, mortars and strafers are not working. But you are in luck because a new weapon has just been developed.

WWarrior

Spoiler
I'm aware that this map gets easy once you defeat the middle of the map.
[close]

stdout

Loren Pechtel

What am I missing?  This map seems utterly impossible.  Snipers work but the runners aren't coughing up anti-creeper.  Presumably beams work but I've never lived that long.  Sprayers have no anti-creeper to work with.  You simply get overrun and die, there are no tools to change this.

WWarrior

Quote from: Loren Pechtel on May 30, 2017, 08:42:29 AM
What am I missing?  This map seems utterly impossible.  Snipers work but the runners aren't coughing up anti-creeper.  Presumably beams work but I've never lived that long.  Sprayers have no anti-creeper to work with.  You simply get overrun and die, there are no tools to change this.
Try building some more collectors...
25 people managed to complete it so it is not impossible.

WWarrior

Quote from: stdout on May 29, 2017, 12:25:11 PM
Fresh innovative idea!
Just in case you want to create your own version I've attached the script that I used.

There are some small bugs:
Spoiler

• All collectors always emit anti-creeper even when they are not connected to the command node or are shot by a runner.
  • Collectors only emit on set times, so some might emit right when created, but others might just miss it and have to wait a cycle. This is the reason the delay and amount emitted are so low.
[close]

D0m0nik

Yeah also thought this was a great and original idea, nice job!

GoodMorning

Well done.

Regarding the bugs - it's best to accept that as-is. It's not impossible to change, but there's a lot of work to do the first part (recreate the entire network pathfinding, probably. The second part will be either fairly easy or downright impossible, depending on the behaviour of CONST_CONNECTABLE when stunned.

Edit: Also, I instinctively tried to cover the entire map in collectors at the end. Fortunately for my sanity, the terrain doesn't quite line up. Also, if allowed to build unchecked, the AC will eventually convert.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

WWarrior

Quote from: GoodMorning on May 30, 2017, 06:50:39 PM
Well done.

Regarding the bugs - it's best to accept that as-is. It's not impossible to change, but there's a lot of work to do the first part (recreate the entire network pathfinding, probably. The second part will be either fairly easy or downright impossible, depending on the behaviour of CONST_CONNECTABLE when stunned.

Edit: Also, I instinctively tried to cover the entire map in collectors at the end. Fortunately for my sanity, the terrain doesn't quite line up. Also, if allowed to build unchecked, the AC will eventually convert.
As in a number (byte,integer,float) overflow? Do you know at what number this happens? Checking if AC is below a number before emitting is not that difficult.

GoodMorning

True. C/AC is a signed 32-bit int, and float Creeper is 1000 int Creeper. So overflow is at a little over 2100 Creeper. I am fairly sure that SetCreeper is capped at 2K for this reason. This was originally a CW2 beta glitch, retained by popular demand. It is visible in the story missions at one point. However, the standard method for an Emitter is:
<-Amt SetCreeperNoLower

AddCreeper tends to be avoided because of the conversion, but most of the time it's not important.

Welcome to the forum, also.

I only mention this because I have an ongoing project to see if I can, in a legitimate game and without the Forge Singularity, get AC to conversion point before running out of patience and walking away. So far, no, despite the fact that this map has the fastest AC generation rate I have felt is in any way balanced.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

toolforger

I like the idea, but two things:

- Collectors seem to have negative energy income. A warning would have been fair.
- Once you stabilize, it kinda gets dull. Just spam collectors and wait until the AC overflows everything.