Map editor isntall issue.

Started by Alyssa~, January 01, 2010, 08:00:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alyssa~

Hi, when trying to install the map editor, I get a message saying.

"Sorry, an error has occurred. The application could not be installed because the AIR file is damaged. Try obtaining a new AIR file from the application author."

So this is the first place that popped into my mind to look for advice, how should I go about this?

knucracker

Try downloading it again and compare the file size each time you download it.  If they don't match, then you probably got a corrupt or partial download.  Also make sure you are logged in as an administrator on your machine when you try to install it (and that you have adobe air 1.5 installed already).  Note that if you have the game installed, you will by definition already have adobe AIR installed.

Alyssa~

I've downloaded it multiple times, the file size is the same each time (2.3mb) I'm the only account on my machine, thus the administrator, I also have the game installed.
Thanks for trying though, any other ideas?

knucracker

Check to see if your system thinks it is already installed.  You can look under Add Remove Programs in windows, or in C:\Program Files\CreeperMap.  If your system thinks the editor is already installed, you may need to uninstall it first.

Also, do you use any special kind of downloader software?  Or, are you just clicking the link to download the map editor and then saving it to disk?  If you have special download software, it might corrupt the download.  Note that when you save it to disk it should be called "CreeperMap-0314.air" and it should be exactly 2,380,016 bytes big.

Alyssa~

My computer doesn't think it's installed, I just checked now, through both add/remove programs and in the C drive (just to be sure) nor do I use any special softward to download.

Karsten75

There are some programs that clean up installer files. I can't remember which ones, but running one of those might help.  Just be very careful.  Try downloading only from Microsoft or a safe site.

Oh! Revo Uninstaller is one. Bu there is an installer cleanup somewhere on the MS site as well.

Also, try uninstalling Adobe AIR and reinstall that?

Just guessing and along the line of things I might try.

What OS are you using?

Alyssa~

Vista, alas. D:

Because i'm too cheap to afford Win7 and got my new lappy a few weeks before those that got the free Win7 upgrade.

I'll look into the installer cleanups, here's hoping it works, i've wanted to get some map ideas down for the whole day. XD

Alyssa~

Also, tried uninstalling and resintalling AIR, that didn't work, nor did the installer cleanups. ><;;

Karsten75

Quote from: Alyssa~ on January 01, 2010, 03:33:05 PM
Vista, alas. D:

Because i'm too cheap to afford Win7 and got my new lappy a few weeks before those that got the free Win7 upgrade.

I'll look into the installer cleanups, here's hoping it works, i've wanted to get some map ideas down for the whole day. XD

That's not so bad, I too run Vista (Ultimate) on this machine (I have another with Win 7).

I'm sorry none of my suggestions helped.

knucracker

If you google for:
The application could not be installed because the AIR file is damaged

You will get lots or articles about this.  Most of them are tweetdeck or some other popular air app and people having trouble.  The recommended solution is to uninstall the app, uninstall air, then reinstall air and the air app.  Some people do this a couple times before it works.  The other option is to bug adobe about it or to check their forums. 

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful... it is really strange that you can install the game and not the map editor.  They are both very similar air apps.

Alyssa~

I've even tried that and that's failed to work. :S And I am grateful you tried, it's nice to see people like you. ^^

I DO have any idea, i'm unsure if it'd work, but if someone sends me the map editor through an email instead of me trying to grab it off the site? :x

It could work, but it's just me thinking. (<email removed by Kamron3> for anyone who wishes to do so)

Also, I just tried downloading the map editor on another PC and I got the same message, i'm going to try on a third tonight.

Karsten75

Sent.  I suggest you remove your email address from public forums.

Alyssa~

yeah...suppose that was a rather stupid move. ^^;;

But thank you, it actually worked. XP <3

Karsten75