Neutral AI

Started by Xynt, November 25, 2017, 04:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xynt

I'm considering making a map where the player and an AI both attack the creeper. The AI will be able to at least rebuild, but hopefully will actually be able to actually act and react. My problem is that I want it to actually have to use an energy grid like a player would and be non-interactable with. Eg. I can't attack it's units nor move them, and vice versa, and I can't collect energy in places where it already has collectors. How should I go about doing that, or is it not possible?

Sorrontis

That's a very very tall order - one that's nearly impossible to be honest. You would have to essentially use Sleeper Map coding as an ally rather than an enemy. A few coders could be of help, but you will/would have to do most of the work.

Let's see if one of them pop their heads out to volunteer. Good luck!
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Xynt

Yeah. I played around both with the Abraxis AI from PAC and the Sleeper AI. The Abraxis AI is decent at rebuilding, however whatever you want it to maintain absolutely must be built prior to the map's start. Something similar could be used for, say, "protect the colony" or similar missions. The Sleeper AI would be a prime example, however, it would need to "understand" how the energy grid works for it to be exactly as intended.

A potential replacement which I've settled on is to have it build certain groups based on conditions, such as when the creeper gets too close, the map's spore towers are built, etc.

The only part I'm having trouble with, like I said, would be having the AI utilize a complete replica of the standard player units without the player having the ability to exert control over them. I already figure that I'd have have to recreate them manually, however advice on doing so would be appreciated.

GoodMorning

If you want it to use a distinct grid, you have to recreate the units.

If you are willing to settle for a grid which can be linked to the player network, you can pre-land a CN and use a lot of SetUnitSelectableOverride to prevent player control.

Interesting idea, but I have other demands on my time. Planetfall has an equally significant project underway. You have reasonable odds of having someone to talk to, but we won't be doing much scripting on your behalf.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Builder17

Quote from: GoodMorning on November 26, 2017, 02:42:20 AM
If you are willing to settle for a grid which can be linked to the player network, you can pre-land a CN and use a lot of SetUnitSelectableOverride to prevent player control.

And if using tech limits is fine, you can separate two networks with void and disable guppies,relays, strafers and bombers.

Attached modified version of PAC AI that makes units unselectable, do you know how to use it?