Custom Map #9211: CSM-A1. By: zipakos

Started by AutoPost, January 18, 2021, 09:54:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #9211: CSM-A1

Author: zipakos
Size: 144x144

Desc:
Simple long map. #CSM Thanks to everyone that has made a script or/and a map and he/she kept the interest for this game going. Special thanks to builder17

Builder17

Kinda wish I had saved more often, accidentally activated the red crystal in lower left corner. :(

Have to see if it's still possible to win now! ;)

marvinitfox

Quote from: Builder17 on January 19, 2021, 02:07:31 AM
Kinda wish I had saved more often, accidentally activated the red crystal in lower left corner. :(

Have to see if it's still possible to win now! ;)
It only, um, triples the enemy output.

My puzzle on this map: is it possible to retain both sprayers at the beginning, yet still gain a  foothold that can grow?
It would be *awesome* if I did not have to sacrifice one of them.
But despite many attempts, I could not quite manage this.

Builder17

Quote from: marvinitfox on January 19, 2021, 02:09:45 AM
My puzzle on this map: is it possible to retain both sprayers at the beginning, yet still gain a  foothold that can grow?
It would be *awesome* if I did not have to sacrifice one of them.
But despite many attempts, I could not quite manage this.

Try exploding one over strong emitter in right side of your base area, it could work.

RrR

Quote from: marvinitfox on January 19, 2021, 02:09:45 AM

You can do keep both sprayers with some help from
Spoiler
spores.
Spoiler
At the beginning, land the CN in lower left corner
[close]
[close]

zipakos

You can save both the sprayers and you can finish the map with the red crystal enabled.  :)

Builder17

Johnny Haywire

Don't forget that with a single sprayer you can wall off the area around a negative crystal and use the sprayer to extract all the AC, thus rendering the crystal inactive.  ;)

I enjoyed this map. It may not be quite as refined as other CSM maps, but I think zipakos is off to a good start!

Just a few observations:
1) Once you start expanding, everything is pretty easy... almost all the enemy emitters are at 10 strength and are easily overpowered. It would be nice to face increasingly stronger enemies along the way.
2) I really love the idea of incorporating one or two sprayers in the mix - that was a fun twist!  ;D
3) I don't know about most people, but I prefer the 1 = 100 terrain height modification. It allows for deeper creeper  8)

Please keep up the great ideas and thanks for the map!  ;D
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

tamashii

thanks for the map ^^

It was quite unusual in many aspects and I agree it could be smoother, but the new aspects made me enjoy it.
One thing that would have increased my fun would have been a single ore patch somewhere (or more). I'm not sure what you assumed how this would play out, but I tried different starts and "had to" explode one sprayer. it would have been nice to give ammunition to my one sprayer without flying back and forth often.

Thanks for setting this up, looking forward to your next one
alea iacta est: 42

Johnny Haywire

QuoteI'm not sure what you assumed how this would play out, but I tried different starts and "had to" explode one sprayer.

If you go back to previous comments, RrR found a solution that works... I'd just add for clarification that you may need to fly your sprayers around for a bit before you can find a place for them to be safe and effective.  ;)

Loren Pechtel

I'm totally stumped here.  The only way I can get a toehold is sacrificing both sprayers and I can't expand at that point.

Johnny Haywire

I'll explain RrR's tactic in a bit more detail if you'd like...

Spoiler
Land the CN in the lower left and power up the spore upgrade tower. In the meantime, keep your sprayers airborne so they don't get destroyed.

When the spores fire, notice the emitters they target and land your sprayers near them to boost their effectiveness. If I remember right, I had to orbit my CN and land one more time in the lower left before securing the area.
[close]

Btw, this tactic is totally not necessary to win the map, but it does make it more interesting. You can always just terp an area and send the AC to your CN to hold it there, then move your sprayer to another area and build up the AC as deep as you wish up to the max limit.

Hope this helps!  ;)

hbarudi

Tough start but doable, I lost one of the sprayers, wish they enabled sprayer building with a limit of 2 so we could rebuild it. Once we get going, using the hints from other comments here, the order of the numbered doors helps in the intended order of beating the map.

Loren Pechtel

Quote from: Johnny Haywire on January 26, 2021, 12:02:45 PM
I'll explain RrR's tactic in a bit more detail if you'd like...

Spoiler
Land the CN in the lower left and power up the spore upgrade tower. In the meantime, keep your sprayers airborne so they don't get destroyed.

When the spores fire, notice the emitters they target and land your sprayers near them to boost their effectiveness. If I remember right, I had to orbit my CN and land one more time in the lower left before securing the area.
[close]

Btw, this tactic is totally not necessary to win the map, but it does make it more interesting. You can always just terp an area and send the AC to your CN to hold it there, then move your sprayer to another area and build up the AC as deep as you wish up to the max limit.

Hope this helps!  ;)

Whew!  Got it.

Johnny Haywire