long chain + depletion question

Started by Aurzel, January 05, 2010, 03:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurzel

i was doing this to see how long a chain of packets i could get for the fun of it, and instead found that starvation started going up since odin city only emitted 21 packets instead of 32, what's going on did i miss something?

Karsten75

Updated:

I think it was a problem with your experiment. I did one of my own and packets seem to flow out at 32/"time click." Ineresting was to watch the starvation count decline by 32 per as well. Clicking on the image will open a larger version.

Karsten75

I have a lot of images that I can stitch together into a "movie." Might be interesting to watch... or not, since the lag in the experiment was horrible. I guess wathing paint dry might also be fun.

Aurzel

still doesnt explain why my despersion stopped at 21

Karsten75

I can't quite read the number on your image for collection, but do you have sufficient collectors to collect >21 units of energy? You have no reserves, so if you are unable to collect enough enrgy, you cannot disperse all the packets. My quick calculation of your image says you have 64 collectors (one is a reactor) that perhaps each collect .4 units of energy giving a max of 25 units of energy.  That is in the ballpark with what is being dispersed.

Look again at my experiment. I have collectors and reactors that collect >32 energy and I have a *huge* reserve of energy. That reserve is depleted (and always was during peak demand) by 31 units.

Do the math here.

Aurzel

you'll see that its not just one reactor, its several dozen overlayed and my energy s 51.9

TheBuilder

should only need 40, the extra 8 is so that u have a positive production/ fill up reservers
Not even death can stop the truly determined.

I told them, "I want to add to the world."
They said, "Then learn how to use the editor."
I asked, "What is the editor?"
They said, "Life."

Aurzel

like i said, my depletion is only 21 not 32, and i didnt calc how much energy i'd be getting, i just kept clicking on the reactor button until a lot had been put on the map

knucracker

If you built just one storage unit, you should get the 32 per second.  With no storage your energy tank in Odin city is just 20 big.  So it gets emptied on one cycle of the game and it doesn't get any back in the tank till the next iteration.... this is why you top out at 21.  Build one storage and your tank will increase to 40 and you will be able to source the 32 per second.

At least this is what I think should happen based on my memory of the code :)

Karsten75

I'm not sure that explains what Aurzel is seeing. Note that he is not seeing bursts of 21 packets, but a spread-out effect that is similar to a single building requesting packets. I would have thought that if Odin City had a storage facility of 20, then it would send out a burst of 20 packets tightly spaced together. Wht his map is showing is more along the lines of Odin City dispensing at the request rate of a singe facility being built.

Aurzel

actually kar the dispersed rate would be the result of the large number of speeds have in between those reactors

Karsten75

Quote from: Aurzel on January 06, 2010, 04:29:26 AM
actually kar the dispersed rate would be the result of the large number of speeds have in between those reactors

I'm not even beginning to understand that.

TheBuilder

Not even death can stop the truly determined.

I told them, "I want to add to the world."
They said, "Then learn how to use the editor."
I asked, "What is the editor?"
They said, "Life."

Aurzel

ok let me start again:
i have a ton or speeds underneath that big pile of reactors
better? lol

SPIFFEN

There is an thread that is locked about storage makes city send more units ,
it sayd that 2 storage max this .
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links