Custom Map: Hard Art 2: Envy

Started by AutoPost, July 25, 2010, 11:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miss Melissa

UpperKEES

Quote from: F0R on July 27, 2010, 06:34:59 AM
UpperKEES you gotta use the painting that is showed you that my friend did +)

I'm not completely sure which one you mean. Please remind me! Anybody with a good idea is welcome to suggest; I have 3 spots left at the moment (although I have several options already).

Quote from: RichieRich on July 27, 2010, 09:03:43 AM
Thanks UpperKEES & of course Miss Melissa

That was a fun map and nice for a change to be able to get going so quickly in your maps. I expected it to be harder.

I realize I did put 3 Expert Only maps online before this one (including 'Bored To Death'), but most to come will be just hard, so comparable to this one. I needed to give the player some more initial starting space to be able to generate enough energy for at least 1 mortar and 2 drones and still keep building (so a minimum of 4 units of energy per second).

Having said that though, I'd say I failed half a dozen times before I got a time in. TBH it probably saved me posting a really slow time - I kept losing the survivors on the left by not paying attention.

I failed a couple of times myself as well. Not because I forgot about them, but because I wanted to save them as late as possible to save energy and set a fast time. Twice the left pod died on me at the moment my drones just dropped their first bombs. I also forgot about the emitters increases and kept wondering why I was first able to save them with flying mortars and later couldn't. :P If you don't play for the high score it shouldn't be too hard to keep them alive though. Maybe setting a cooking timer (every 3 minutes or so) might help to remind people! ;D

Interesting in the scope for different ways of doing it - evident in the comments above.

I actually didnt use any blasters (and only 3 mortars and 3 drones) until I launched into the middle after making six. I actually only capped the middle and top right in my second time.

Happy with my time - which I think I could shave a minute or so off but that is about it.

Spoiler
Yep, mortars are a lot more useful than blasters on this map. I've tried to give them a more important role after releasing quite some 'blaster maps' during the Nice Job series.
[close]

Liking this series UpperKEES. Thanks for the time and effort.

Thanks! I hope you'll like the next ones as well. I've tried to keep adding 'new' things in my maps, so I hope you're up for a little experiment.

Quote from: Miss Melissa on July 27, 2010, 11:19:43 AM
i dont mind at all, it looks great!
thanks for putting so much time and effort into making my art fun and come alive.  :)

I'm glad to read this, because 'changing' a work of art is often not liked by the artist. It was a lot of fun to make this map!

Quote from: Miss Melissa on July 27, 2010, 11:19:43 AM
ive gotten some PM's about my art and would like to add some of my other paintings here (if thats ok with u).. just as soon as i have time and someone can let me know how i can post pics here without them being online already.  :P

Sure, that's fine; they are worth seeing. :) I'll send you a PM how to do this, but please don't post the picture yet of your second painting I'll use.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

NNR_Alex

Quote from: UpperKEES on July 27, 2010, 03:41:53 AM
I assume you had a deficit causing your drones to refuel slowly? I use only 2 drones (simultaneously) and the pods never got in danger. When you target number 1 in a deep part between the left and the top pod and number 2 in a deep part between the left and the bottom pod you should be fine, but you can't wait too long after refuelling them. The right pod will be save because of you mortar. I would add a second mortar later on to be able to expand your terrain, which will be more effective than the blasters. But before you advance first build up as much energy as the available space allows. Use the blasters mainly to cap the emitters and in tight area's. Having some storage might help you to supply enough fuel for the drones (if you're able to keep it filled up).

I hope this helps; let me know if you get stuck again.

I don't think i had a deficit, and i did have one storage built.  I don't remember how many reactors i had running, i think the final count before i lost (yup you guessed it the far left pod)  was at least 7 reactors, and a few collectors for expanding my network.  I'll keep in mind to put off on building any blasters though until i'm ready to take out like the center emitter.  My problem may have just been like what you and a few others had, i just waited just a bit too long to send the drones back out, i'm not the best multitasker on CW. (which is another reason i don't like air juggling maps, not that any of that had to be done here)

UpperKEES

Quote from: NNR_Alex on July 27, 2010, 03:01:49 PM
I don't think i had a deficit, and i did have one storage built.  I don't remember how many reactors i had running, i think the final count before i lost (yup you guessed it the far left pod)  was at least 7 reactors, and a few collectors for expanding my network.  I'll keep in mind to put off on building any blasters though until i'm ready to take out like the center emitter.  My problem may have just been like what you and a few others had, i just waited just a bit too long to send the drones back out, i'm not the best multitasker on CW. (which is another reason i don't like air juggling maps, not that any of that had to be done here)

7 reactors only give you 2.1 energy, so with the few collectors and Odin City this makes a total of about 3.5, which is not much after 10 minutes of game play. Better generate some more before you start building anything else.

Spoiler
I would cap the bottom right emitter first. That one is easier (weaker and closer) and it will give you enough space to build anything you like.
[close]

Spoiler
The closer you get to the pods, the less important your drones become, so you can use one of them to support your blasters advancing. Just make sure you keep using the other to keep the left pod alive.
[close]

Fisherck

Fun map. I liked both the map and the piece of art behind it. Terrain wise, I liked how parts would fill up, then spill into the next section.

My assult strategy was to go around, and not through. I never set foot on the big green dot. Some mistakes I made and learned from were:
1. To build relays insted of collector heading to the far end, I lost a couple times moving a blaster and not realising it was keeping the network connected.
2. The small green dot on the top right can be held by 2 blasters, but (unless you are very fast) they will probally need to be replaced. I also learned that the hard way.
3. I learned I did not have enough energy by the end, which almost caused me to lose the map. By the end, I probally had one second to spare before my blasters would have run out of juice and the emmiter would have taken out my relay. :o Close...
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

F0R

here you are The pic that my friend did in year four. Very well designed
http://yfrog.com/jaartnp

UpperKEES

Quote from: Fisherck on July 27, 2010, 04:02:37 PM
Fun map. I liked both the map and the piece of art behind it. Terrain wise, I liked how parts would fill up, then spill into the next section.

My assult strategy was to go around, and not through. I never set foot on the big green dot. Some mistakes I made and learned from were:
1. To build relays insted of collector heading to the far end, I lost a couple times moving a blaster and not realising it was keeping the network connected.
2. The small green dot on the top right can be held by 2 blasters, but (unless you are very fast) they will probally need to be replaced. I also learned that the hard way.
3. I learned I did not have enough energy by the end, which almost caused me to lose the map. By the end, I probally had one second to spare before my blasters would have run out of juice and the emmiter would have taken out my relay. :o Close...

Thanks Fisherck! I think these are some very nice tips. Great time as well! Sometimes you just need a little luck (referring to that 1 second).

Quote from: F0R on July 28, 2010, 03:03:03 AM
here you are The pic that my friend did in year four. Very well designed
http://yfrog.com/jaartnp

Ah, that one! I remember now. If I had a kid myself I might have included one of his/her 'works' as well, but I'll skip this one if you don't mind. ;) I did use the Escher-like impossible cube by the way (which will be HA-4).

Miss Melissa

as promised.. here are some of my other paintings. if u want to see more.. just ask.  :)

SPIFFEN

PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

UpperKEES

Quote from: Miss Melissa on July 29, 2010, 10:04:55 PM
as promised.. here are some of my other paintings. if u want to see more.. just ask.  :)

Thanks, I love them! :) You might want to attach the full size pictures however, because these thumbnails don't provide much detail and your works are worth seeing!

Quote from: SPIFFEN on July 29, 2010, 10:08:00 PM
Nice paintings =)

Yeah, and she created almost 30 of them (as far as I know).

Quote from: UpperKEES on July 27, 2010, 02:10:08 PM
I've tried to keep adding 'new' things in my maps, so I hope you're up for a little experiment.

This is what I was talking about....

Mare

Miss Melissa, I LOVE YOUR ARTWORK PLEASE POST MORE!!!
Lying is an Art Form, to succeed, some truth most be woven into the fabric of deception -Anonymous
If you want something done then do it yourself, if you can't,then ask someone to do it for you, making sure to compensate later. If you cannot do that, then you're better off doing nothing at all -Me

Miss Melissa

Quote from: Mare on July 30, 2010, 07:12:56 PM
Miss Melissa, I LOVE YOUR ARTWORK PLEASE POST MORE!!!

u think lying is an art form.. should i believe u?  ;)
of course i will!  ;D
tho i think ive posted the best of em already.

Miss Melissa

Quote from: UpperKEES on July 30, 2010, 12:21:52 PM
Thanks, I love them! :) You might want to attach the full size pictures however, because these thumbnails don't provide much detail and your works are worth seeing!

too pixely if i make em bigger, but thank you.
thanks for giving me a platform to show off my stuff, it rarely gets seen beyond friends, family and the odd client.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Miss Melissa on July 31, 2010, 02:36:03 AM
too pixely if i make em bigger, but thank you.

You shouldn't enlarge them by resizing, but just attach the original pictures instead of the thumbnails.

Quote from: Miss Melissa on July 31, 2010, 02:36:03 AM
thanks for giving me a platform to show off my stuff, it rarely gets seen beyond friends, family and the odd client.

You're welcome. I think HA-8 will be the map based on your second painting.