History Tournament - Assassinations

Started by RandyTravis, September 03, 2010, 01:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sqaz

Quote from: UpperKEES on September 07, 2010, 11:41:38 PM
Quote from: Fisherck on September 07, 2010, 11:05:18 PM
And one more thought. That tournament is only for dates that have already happened. So we are limited up to 2010, which is about 733650 maps. Not really a shortage there. But what about the other roughly 2800000 maps? Maybe we could set up a tournament for those too.

Indeed no shortage, but we could also extend the themes with future celebrations, like for for inventions: 1000 years use of electricity, light bulbs, telephone, internet and peanut butter.

Why? Those other maps will be no different from the ones before 2010, with 733650 maps you can still hold 146730 tournaments which is about 2822 years.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Sqaz on September 08, 2010, 12:40:30 AM
Why? Those other maps will be no different from the ones before 2010, with 733650 maps you can still hold 146730 tournaments which is about 2822 years.

Yeah, I agree we will have enough maps/dates to choose from. It's just an option when we would like to expand the amount of choices like Fisherck indicated, but for the time being the 'historical' dates will be fine.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

RandyTravis

Hey, just checking in from vacation (heading back home today or tomorrow). It's great to see some noob's idea was used to bounce into this! I'll definitely be a regular in the theme tourneys =].

UpperKEES

Quote from: RandyTravis on September 08, 2010, 09:06:00 AM
It's great to see some noob's idea was used to bounce into this! I'll definitely be a regular in the theme tourneys =].

Well, it's nice to see that newbies can have great idea's as well, just like the packet filter for Odin City was only suggested 3 weeks ago by someone new! :)

Quote from: RandyTravis on September 08, 2010, 09:06:45 AM
hey the idea of the tournament ending on saturday is fine by me, i just wanted to give it some time while i was out of town

Received the above by PM.

Let's make it Sunday at midnight (forum time), so it's in sync with the future tournaments.

Fisherck

Quote from: Sqaz on September 08, 2010, 12:40:30 AM

Two things.
First, we need to think of a theme and find five dates for that theme. Not every date is going to have one.
Second, how many specific dates will we be able to find for a theme farther than, lets say a thousand years? The farther you go, the less specific dates we will get.

Quote from: UpperKEES on September 08, 2010, 01:48:48 AM
Yeah, I agree we will have enough maps/dates to choose from. It's just an option when we would like to expand the amount of choices like Fisherck indicated, but for the time being the 'historical' dates will be fine.

Okay okay, it was just an idea. ;D I agree, no reason to make things more complicated than they need to be. But it is still an idea that can be used eventually. :)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

ontheworld

The scores are a bit late, but for some reason school wants me to have work for every part of school i have...

1. November 22, 1963             6932   26min 33sec      
2. April 14, 1865                    7703    17min 53sec        
3. January 30, 1948                8086   14min 12sec
4. June 28, 1914                    9769   1min 25sec
5. April 4, 1968                      7777   17min 09sec

Total score 40267

UpperKEES

Your scores are not late at all; you have more than 2 days left. By the way: I think your total score is 40267.

And are you telling me your first priority is school work while you can play CW? :o I really don't understand.... :P

ontheworld

yeah... i forgot to change the complete score.

Also, my teachers won't take the answer "i was playing CW" as an answer to why i didn't do homework

UpperKEES

Of course you don't say: "I was playing an awesome computer game called Creeper World."

You say: "I was developing my strategic planning skills." ;)

Fisherck

Quote from: UpperKEES on September 10, 2010, 03:42:36 PM
Of course you don't say: "I was playing an awesome computer game called Creeper World."

You say: "I was developing my strategic planning skills." ;)

I got to use that... Of course, some teachers do not take any excuse. :'(
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

IcEcAt

Hi. i played through these EVIL maps. How the hell do y'all get time so low? TELL ME!!!!!

any way, here are my results:

1. November 22, 1963        7910   15min 51sec     
2. April 14, 1865                9387   03min 55sec       
3. January 30, 1948           8506   10min 32sec
4. June 28, 1914               9777   01min 22sec
5. April 4, 1968                 8508   10min 31sec

Total Score:                 44088
   Total Time:                             42min 11sec

Hope i made it under the wire.

here's lookin to the next round....

Sqaz

Well, it's sunday, the tournament is over so (and I'm pretty sure noone can reproduce my scores  ;)) I think I can tell you all how I did it:

1. November 22, 1963         This is the hardest map here, and the only one I can't beat in more than 9500. I used: 5 blasters. You should move OC to the upgrade and totem close to the little pit, then build up 2 energy and start building your blasters, with the first one secure the small island to the left of the current OC position, then build a relay to the higher ground next to the middle emitter, and cap that with three blasters, then move the other blasters forward and if you place them well, a spot close to the second highest emitter should be free of creeper, build a collector there, and connect the last totem with the city.  

2. April 14, 1865               Maybe the hardest map to execute. I used 1 blaster. Move OC to the island closest to the emitters, build three collectors there to get some energy and connect the first totem, but don't power it up yet. Once you finished the first two simultaneously build collectors you start building the blaster, you will never fully charge it, just let it gain two or three ammo-packets and drop it in the creeper (not too long obviously or else it's destroyed) and keep doing that. While still building the blaster you start with the relay chain to the other totems, you'll place the first one on your island so it can connect to the two other totem islands, then just build three more relays and you win.    

3. January 30, 1948          Fool's mate. So no blasters used, just 1 SAM. Move OC to the right of the small pit, get the upgrade, connect the two reachable totems, for the lowest one you must make sure you stay close to the edge of the terrain, otherwise the creeper will destroy your collector. Then you build the SAM, and while keeping OC connected to the SAM you can bridge the last totem.

4. June 28, 1914              Fool's mate. Easiest map here, I don't get how Kees and Fish got those 5 extra points here. This map is very straightforward, move OC to the middle of the higher terrain, then build collectors to the left and right totem, et voilĂ .

5. April 4, 1968               Another not so hard map. I used one blaster, move OC next to the totem closest to it's current position, then just build up some energy, make sure to connect to the upgrade, and build a collector as close as possible to the upper totem. Then build the blaster, place it to the right of OC on the lower terrain, so the even lower terrain is just in it's reach, this should clear up a place to connect to the second totem. Then just use OC to connect the upper totem.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Sqaz on September 12, 2010, 02:23:47 AM
Well, it's sunday, the tournament is over so (and I'm pretty sure noone can reproduce my scores  ;))

Well, actually people have until midnight today forum time (7 AM Monday morning Belgium time for you ;)), but I agree nobody will probably be able to reproduce this in a way they would beat your score. I'm glad you gave up beating mine! :P

1. November 22, 1963. This is the hardest map here, and the only one I can't beat in more than 9500.

I'll post how I did it (with screeny) after the official closing time, although I also couldn't make the 9500 points for this one. I'm glad this map was hard, so it was possible to gain more time. I've probably spent just as much time on the fool's mate maps just to gain a single second and I don't really like that (especially when I'm still not at the first spot after hours of micromanagement ;)).

L'ythelle

Well, it's sunday, the tournament is over so (and I'm pretty sure noone can reproduce my scores  ;)) I think I can tell you all how I did it:

1. November 22, 1963       and connect the last totem with the city.   

3. January 30, 1948          and while keeping OC connected to the SAM you can bridge the last totem.

5. April 4, 1968                Then just use OC to connect the upper totem.

Thank you for this. Of all the simple things to do, I forget this one the most. Maybe I'll do a little better in the next tournament.

UpperKEES

Quote from: L'ythelle on September 12, 2010, 07:56:31 AM
Thank you for this. Of all the simple things to do, I forget this one the most. Maybe I'll do a little better in the next tournament.

You can find some more (Chronom) tips here.