Game Mechanics Quiz 1 - How much do you really know?

Started by UpperKEES, October 18, 2010, 11:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ontheworld

EDIT: nope, gonna look into it before answering

soo... results i found of damage in one shot:

1 1 1
1 2 1
1 1 1

wich is 10*5 is indeed 50 ccc/energy packet
edit: i can't answer anymore but new rsults:

1 1 1
0 2 0
1 1 1

thepenguin

We have become the creeper...

Aurzel

i guess you're right about needing a longer interval of time to test it out since i tested it several times by using a one second interval and my results varied from a little more than 10 to a little less than 12 although i am sure i did check it on the second +/- a couple of frames

UpperKEES

My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

mniip

When blast attacks on full empty area, it decreases creeper like there:

I think 10 ccc per blast.
Fully armed blaster can blast 50 times.
To Arm blaster fully you need 10 energies.
therefore Blaster can decrease up to 50 CCC per energy.

PS: We can reach 50 ccc/energy when we but blaster into creeper that is deeper than 2.

ontheworld

we just gave 50ccc to be wrong, and he wants specific answers

UpperKEES

Quote from: mniip on October 31, 2010, 03:06:16 PM
up to 50 CCC per energy.

Incorrect, as you can see in my previous post.

Please note that the maximum damage can also be done without putting the blaster into deep creeper. I will prove the correct answer after it has been given.

Sqaz

After some empirical testing I saw at max 8 squares can be damaged so the answer is 40ccc.

Which, actually, has been said 2 times already but never as a first answer.

ontheworld

Quote from: Sqaz on November 01, 2010, 12:29:29 PM
After some empirical testing I saw at max 8 squares can be damaged so the answer is 40ccc.

i was gonna, but decided to look for myself... i'm such a douchebag from time to time...

UpperKEES

Correct. :) One point for you.

I think only once (by mthw2vc), but unfortunately (for him), he sticked to his other answer.

Explanation:
A blaster can do damage to a maximum of 8 cells, see below:

This will happen when the creeper is up to 1 elevation level deep. On the left you see a blaster firing into very thin creeper and damaging 8 cells. The damage of this shot is probably less than 1 ccc (8 x 0.1 ccc). On the right you see a blaster firing into creeper of exactly 1 elevation layer deep. The damage of this shot is the maximum you can get: 8 ccc (8 x 1 ccc).

A blaster will not always damage 8 cells however, see below:

This will happen when the creeper is more than 1 elevation level deep. On the left you see a blaster firing into a pool with creeper of about 1.8 layers deep. The shot does the maximum of 2 ccc damage to the cell it targets, plus a maximum of 1 ccc to 6 neighboring cells, so in this case the damage is 1.8 + 6 x 1 = 7.8 ccc. On the right you see a blaster firing into creeper of exactly 2 layers deep. Again the shot does the maximum damage of 2 ccc to the target cell, plus 1 ccc damage to 6 neighboring cells, which makes a total of 8 ccc (again max. damage for 1 shot). When the creeper would be deeper than 2 layers, let's say 3 elevation levels deep, a shot would do exactly the same thing, leaving some creeper in all damaged cells. The maximum damage of 2 ccc for the target cell is also the reason spores with an intensity higher than 2 can't be taken out by a blaster with 1 shot when hitting the surface.

When you drop a blaster into the creeper this works exactly the same way, see below:

On the left you see a blaster dropping into shallow creeper; 8 cells are damaged in this pattern:

On the right you see a blaster dropping into deeper creeper; 7 cells are damaged in this pattern:

One blaster shot costs 0.2 energy, so it can fire 5 times on 1 unit of energy, which makes the maximum damage per unit of energy 5 x 8 = 40 ccc. When you realize that a mortar shot does a maximum damage of 42.4 ccc per unit of energy, you can easily conclude that dropping blasters into a pool of creeper is just as effective as using mortars. Of course this isn't the case when you let them target shallow creeper at the edge of a plain.

ontheworld

i didn't say it in my edit, but with my calculation+ new test results it would have been 40 =/

UpperKEES

Quote from: ontheworld on November 01, 2010, 05:30:41 PM
i didn't say it in my edit, but with my calculation+ new test results it would have been 40 =/

Yeah, with some testing this answer could have been found rather easily. I even thought this was the easiest question up to now. It's always a trade off: do you take the time for some testing and also the risk that someone else posts the answer just before you, or do you give it your best shot as fast as possible? Both can work....

UpperKEES

Sqaz

Emitter
Start
(seconds)
Interval
(seconds)
Intensity
(ccc)
# blasters needed
without firing
rate upgrade
# blasters needed
with firing
rate upgrade

Total:
A: 19
B: 16

So A= 19 and B= 16

This is all done through empirical testing, and even though some of the results are strange it should be perfect :P.

ontheworld