Custom Map #1357: symmetric

Started by AutoPost, August 16, 2012, 06:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1357: symmetric

Author: mexxor

Desc:
I'm always one for the symmetrics, so i try to be so in my map today :) (at least when we talk about the terrain, not the units :D)

chwooly

Honestly, Symmetry doesn't make up for being tedious. And this map is tedious. it is just make as many cb's as you can.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

Gabar

Well, I like your maps, this one is no exception. Keep doing that good.

TypoNinja

So much potential, was enjoying it, even if it was a tad on the sloggy side.... right up till the second last room where the drones started. Then you blew it.

For once is wasn't actually the drones that annoyed me, you didn't commit the cardinal sins of too much HP, or crazy speed.

Lots of blasters backed up by makers per side, still can't hold back the in coming creeper without spamming C-bombs. I don't find the idea of spamming C-bombs and trying to squeeze nullifiers in between C-bomb waves to be even remotely fun.

Mexxor

Quote from: TypoNinja on August 16, 2012, 09:51:57 PM
So much potential, was enjoying it, even if it was a tad on the sloggy side.... right up till the second last room where the drones started. Then you blew it.

For once is wasn't actually the drones that annoyed me, you didn't commit the cardinal sins of too much HP, or crazy speed.

Lots of blasters backed up by makers per side, still can't hold back the in coming creeper without spamming C-bombs. I don't find the idea of spamming C-bombs and trying to squeeze nullifiers in between C-bomb waves to be even remotely fun.
I did it myself, didn't I?
Did you upgrade the range and fire rate of your weapons?
i needed only 3 blasters on each side, and with one hell of a lot blasters (not really, just something like 15-20) I cleared the whole room (pf course, also with the AC)
You did not even need that many C-bombs i think i used ten or less in that room
Just bomb the creeper storage and all you have to do is to follow the creeper as it goes...
"Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure."
― George Carlin

Mexxor

Quote from: chwooly on August 16, 2012, 07:41:03 PM
Honestly, Symmetry doesn't make up for being tedious. And this map is tedious. it is just make as many cb's as you can.

Does it say: Symmetry makes up for being tedious?
It does Not say anything about making up for anything else
Its just the type of game you like or don't like ;)

Quote from: Gabar on August 16, 2012, 07:42:48 PM
Well, I like your maps, this one is no exception. Keep doing that good.

Thank you :)
I just like to see the AC fighting the creeper, its fun
"Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure."
― George Carlin

Gabar

I like this kind of map because I love to see AC fighting Creeper, like maps where you free some trapped AC emitter which helps you.... or your maps, where you use AC to help a lot.
But the part of the drones was a bit tedious, just that part.
Good work.

KernoX

I also had a problem with the last room ... Maybe I am not quick enough or what, but I lacked the missile silos. Creepers are there too quickly received. Perhaps it would help me different plan, I do not know. Everything else was fine  ;).

Randomgold

The last part with the drones is tricky, but there's a way to do it that's (probably) faster than just straight spamming of bombs.  It still needs some spamming, but not as much.

Spoiler
When you get to the last row where the drone gates are, put enough blasters and makers to keep the drones and creeper from advancing.  At the top and bottom, the creeper bottlenecks, leaving two sizable gaps.  Put a rift in the one on the bottom, using bombs to clear out the creeper enough to get the packets through.  Once it's built, put a blaster next to it.  Then, once that blaster starts reducing the drones, just use bombs to open up the path, and move your blasters in range of the drone gates so they take out the drones as soon as they emerge.  Set a few blasters to target creeper, set up a few bombs for a nice safety net, and nullify at you leisure.  This is probably not needed, but I find focusing on one side at a time is less of a strain as well.
[close]

While there's probably a faster way to get through this part, it's how I did it, and it worked wonders (once I figures id out.  Took me awhile to get it. 

TypoNinja

Quote from: Mexxor on August 17, 2012, 03:41:24 AM
Quote from: TypoNinja on August 16, 2012, 09:51:57 PM

i needed only 3 blasters on each side, and with one hell of a lot blasters (not really, just something like 15-20) I cleared the whole room (pf course, also with the AC)
Just bomb the creeper storage and all you have to do is to follow the creeper as it goes...

No I'm completely clueless and didn't upgrade anything.

Of course I upgraded range and fire rate, I had them maxed. Hell I had everything maxed out by the time I made it to the drones. With 12 blasters I lost ground to the incoming creeper, never mind the three you say you used. I was making some progress spamming C bombs, killed a couple of emitter collections, but at that point it simply wasn't fun anymore.

I didn't say I couldn't beat your map, I said it stopped being fun. I normally look for maps like this, but you got the balance wrong at the end there, in terms of enjoyment for me. Maybe some people enjoy that kind of pace, but I just found it tedious at the end.

JmfR

No I'm completely clueless and didn't upgrade anything.

Of course I upgraded range and fire rate, I had them maxed. Hell I had everything maxed out by the time I made it to the drones. With 12 blasters I lost ground to the incoming creeper, never mind the three you say you used. I was making some progress spamming C bombs, killed a couple of emitter collections, but at that point it simply wasn't fun anymore.

I didn't say I couldn't beat your map, I said it stopped being fun. I normally look for maps like this, but you got the balance wrong at the end there, in terms of enjoyment for me. Maybe some people enjoy that kind of pace, but I just found it tedious at the end.

Yeah 3 blasters per side and only a few C-Bombs?? I had 12 blasters and 14 makers and that couldnt even stay even I had to keep sending two C-Bombs per side just to stay even. I finaly built enough C-Bombs to wipe the 4 emitters on the left and build defenses with a rift and the drones swarmed it and cleared it thats when I gave up

Strubbel

The inital pile of creeper was converted with two CB, after that some makers and blasters were sent in... With lots of blasters it's quite easy to move forward and kill every emitter in the drone area...
Didn't have any problems there...

Mexxor

well, that is also somewhat like how i did it ;)
― George Carlin

Bongo

It was pretty good. Not epic but not terrible. My only question is:

Did it drive you insane that the map is 32 units across while the Liberation Ship is 5 units across? Did you put the ship on one side and then the other (several dozen times?) Did you hit the screen in agony that you couldn't make the ship 6 units across or add another ship? Did you put a line of infinite Terrain on one side to make the ship be in the middle then put a line of infinte Terrain on the other side to 'even it up' but now the ship wasn't in the middle anymore?

I'm sorry. I couldn't resist. I love messing with obsessive compulsives. :) (I used to be one. :P )

Shanglion

I wanted to like this map but, you have to be extremely dependent on c bombs. Not a fan of that at all.