Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #529: Quick & Dirty

Author: Sorrontis
Size: 256x256

Desc:
Boom! It's dirty! #NoPRPL

Sorrontis

This one is really easy, like, totally easy. I'm not going to give you any hints.

Edit: I made this map today because I'm taking a break on my PRPL heavy map. I need some ScriptVar definitions, and until then, well, I might as well work on other things!

Edit 2: So, original time of 18 minutes, brought it to 16; I believe I could bring it to 14. The best of you, I think 10-12 is possible, but very hard.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

svartmes

Sorrontis

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

ColonelSandersLite

General thoughts:
The lathes are interesting, but having used them, I don't think they're an improvement.  They have a tendency to run out of power in the field unless you turn off missiles and particle beams.  I never got to actually use the Gulag.  The other ships are good.  The custom HQ is a pretty nice upgrade, without changing the nature of the HQ too much.  The first problem I spotted is that the custom HQ gets replaced by the standard HQ if you lose it.  This might be a game limitation.

The second and by far the biggest problem?  You must pick up all items to finish the mission.  This is something I normally find annoying outside of campaign missions, but this mission takes it up to 11.  On my first run, it took me 9 minutes to activate the totems.  It then took me 7 minutes to fly around the map, clean up the strays, and collect all the crap that you just don't need.  On the second run, both times where much faster, but proportioned similarly.

My Rating:
8/10

My time:
15:55 first run.
9:15 second run.

Difficulty:
Easy

ColonelSandersLite

I think I see how svartmes did that 8:00 and I would have had a very similar second time if I didn't make a couple of dumb mistakes in execution.

svartmes

Ok here's how I did it:
Spoiler

Started by mireing the startarea with the cannons with the omnis and built the 2 lathes, batton, zappa and big ship (also grabbed the omni pickup to the right early). Waiting for the big ship to get done I started to move up on the left edge taking out the stuff thats in the way (flipper emitter, mired the cannon Island, doppelspawner, stunner). Sent omnis to take out the top mirespawners and also burn some rock. First to cut away the (6) for easier mireing and then more to fit the big ship (cut the "beam" below), I actually think this tactic could be improved on though. Finally moved the big ship up in range to Power the totems.  After that it's just rushing to get the pickups.  Amptech used: movespeed, omni reactors+cannons, rockburn.
[close]
One could probably shave off a couple of seconds of my time as I'm not much for doing perfect runs or frameadvancing. This was my second attempt, first try landed at about 10 minute mark iirc and I only retried after reading Sorrontis comment thinking "challenge accepted" :)  Fun times! I thank you for it!

ColonelSandersLite

Yeah, that was my approach as well.   Tried a third time and got 8:15.  I'm pretty positive that 30 or so seconds can be shaved off that with this approach.  I know I wasted too much time grabbing energy mines when I should have just been grabbing important pickups at the end.  I also screwed up and got one of my lathes destroyed and rebuilding him definitely slowed my time on that last segment.

JoaoPistori

Sorrontis

Quote from: JoaoPistori on January 10, 2017, 09:18:08 AM
How did you change HQ design?

It's a bug that will be fixed very soon. Enjoy it while you can :)

Sorrontis

That was also my approach, but I was slower. Also, Colonel, I agree with the pickup thing, I don't know what I was thinking. Although, that only takes me 2 minutes to clear the board.

Sorrontis

RrR

7 minute time probably possible. You can ignore ~ 75% of the map & not engage with any of the ships. Rate limiting step is building of the largest ship

Stickman

Pretty fun to figure out without totems and rock burner.
=====> This is a moderately pointy stick. You need to poke me with it once in three days if you need PRPL from me