Custom Map: Nice Job 18: The Chemist

Started by AutoPost, June 15, 2010, 08:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: Nice Job 18: The Chemist

Author: UpperKEES

Desc:
This map is probably on the edge between 'Medium' and 'Hard', but I've chosen for 'Medium' as you never have to engage the creeper in the parts where it's deep and intensive, which makes this map definitely easier than my hard rated maps. Put on your lab coat and enjoy!

UpperKEES

Title:
Nice Job 18: The Chemist
Difficulty:
Medium
Creeper type:
Land only
Remarks:
This map is probably on the edge between 'Medium' and 'Hard', but I've chosen for 'Medium' as you never have to engage the creeper in the parts where it's deep and intensive, which makes this map definitely easier than my hard rated maps. Put on your lab coat and enjoy!
Description:
When you arrive at your chemistry laboratory, you notice that your set up looks fine, but your formulas are all over the place.

Because this is your first day as a chemist you really need them. Fortunately your chemicals are still in their test tubes and the beaker.

Please use all chemicals, collect the formulas and light the Bunsen burner before you get killed in that Erlenmeyer flask!
Download page:
Nice Job 18: The Chemist
Full size screen shot:
More maps:
Apply here for another job ;)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

NNR_Alex

I think i've come to the conclusion that whatever your time is, i usually take at least twice as long, at least on my first run, i'm not sure how i could speed up my run on this one, but i don't really play for scores anyways, at least i kept it under an hour this time.

snowmaker (JM)

Nice map. Oh course, I have always enjoyed your themed maps. Keep em coming.

UpperKEES

Quote from: NNR_Alex on June 16, 2010, 01:13:41 PM
I think i've come to the conclusion that whatever your time is, i usually take at least twice as long, at least on my first run, i'm not sure how i could speed up my run on this one, but i don't really play for scores anyways, at least i kept it under an hour this time.

On my first run I would be about 10 minutes slower as well, so don't worry about that. Regarding shaving off those last few minutes: I've been playing CW almost daily for about half a year now, so just keep going and you'll keep improving. I still do. And having fun is much more important than setting a fast time; it's just that setting a fast time is a lot of fun to me as I love that additional challenge.

Quote from: JM on June 16, 2010, 07:43:37 PM
Nice map. Oh course, I have always enjoyed your themed maps. Keep em coming.

Thanks JM! :) 7 more will be released (2 per week). Nice Job 25 will be the last in this series. They're all finished by now and I'm very happy with how they turned out.

Edit:

Quote from: NNR_Alex on June 16, 2010, 01:13:41 PM
i'm not sure how i could speed up my run on this one

I forgot to give a tip:

Spoiler
After building collectors on and under the table and to the right of the Erlenmeyer flask you should have an energy collection of about 4 units per second. This is enough to build some blasters and get the first 3 techs and upgrades (in the bottom test tubes). I use 4 blasters for this, besides the 2 I already had to defend OC. Then stop advancing and build reactors until you have enough energy to complete the map. Finishing it is just a matter of 5-7 minutes after that.
[close]

NNR_Alex

well i just shaved a lot of time off my run on my second go through.  again i probably do things the hard way, i build collectors on and under the table all right but i also go up the sides of the map, leap frogging my way to try and keep as much creeper back as i can, then i go for the top test tubes first, so i at least have the speed tech and drones to make things go faster, usually two drones to just bomb the bottom test tubes and clear out enough creeper so my blasters are overwhelmed when i drop them in, after that it's in the bad when i round up the last notes.  normally i hate using drones but they come in handy this time.

UpperKEES

Ah! 12 minutes faster!  8)

The nice thing about most CW maps (and I hope including mine) is that you can solve them in many different ways. I always try to allow for that freedom.

Spoiler
I never thought of going up on the sides because I figured it would cost me more energy than the additional collectors would bring me, but maybe I am wrong about that. The speed tech is always nice to have (I use them for every map when available), but as long as you stay close to OC you don't really need it (yet).
[close]

Spoiler
On a map with limited space I always go for the reactor tech first, because getting more energy will allow me to build more structures at the same time and give my final attack a huge push. When I'm up to about 10 energy, I just create 12 more blasters (2 batches of 6), so I can rush forward dropping them into enemy territory and building the connecting collectors behind them.
[close]

Spoiler
This is also how I conquer the test tubes: I drop all blasters above the lower tubes and quickly build a collector inside that area. One blaster is enough to stop the creeper from 1 tube and I leap frog a second into the tube. Your worst enemy at that time is your deficit, so don't spend your energy on anything else. After getting the first 2 upgrades a part of that problem is already solved. (And now I think about it, I should have chosen 10% more energy first, instead of 10% less building costs).
[close]

Spoiler
I only use 1 drone in the end to clear some terrain before I drop my blasters. Mortars will often target the creeper inside the laboratory glasswork, but because I've set the intensity so that they won't overflow it's actually a waste of energy. Just keep a blaster close to their exit for a Loki effect. ;)
[close]

Karsten75

I'm amazed and impressed with the exquisite effects you've achieved in this map.  But as usual with your maps, I fail. :(

UpperKEES

Thanks Karsten! :)

Did you read the above tips I just posted before you tried? That might help a lot.

Spoiler
I've made a screenshot how to defend your initial position with almost no cost of energy (because of the narrow spaces the creeper has to go through, which makes a blaster very efficient), see attachment. The 3rd blaster is not needed, but was used to conquer the top part of the terrain and will be used to get the techs & upgrades.
[close]

Spoiler

Quote from: UpperKEES on June 16, 2010, 09:43:56 PM
After building collectors on and under the table and to the right of the Erlenmeyer flask you should have an energy collection of about 4 units per second.

Correction: apparently it is 3.2 units of energy per second at that moment.
[close]

Karsten75

I had a different strategy, but it didn't work out. I might try again. I think I won your Netherlands map, but I don't recall any other map since then.

NNR_Alex

i usually think 'how much energy can i get first before diving in fully'.  i knew the creeper would be easy enough to push back up along the sides, it's the loki effect as you discribed it only now it's a long narrow tunnel rather than a small opening.  i used 3 blasters to go up the sides, two to start leap frogging my way up, but when you get to the high wall that the creeper overflows on you have to leave a blaster there to keep it from overflowing into the narrow passage way, that's where the third blaster comes in at.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Karsten75 on June 17, 2010, 02:03:18 AM
I had a different strategy, but it didn't work out. I might try again. I think I won your Netherlands map, but I don't recall any other map since then.

My Netherlands map (NJ-1: The Engineer) is definitely harder than this one, because of the energy limit and the emitters that are closer together. The time you've set there is actually very good!

Two other relatively easy maps are NJ-8: The Life Guard (don't let the amount of emitters scare you; most of them are set to zero) and NJ-10: The Teacher. You can also give these a try if you like.

Quote from: NNR_Alex on June 17, 2010, 02:21:14 AM
i usually think 'how much energy can i get first before diving in fully'.  i knew the creeper would be easy enough to push back up along the sides, it's the loki effect as you discribed it only now it's a long narrow tunnel rather than a small opening.  i used 3 blasters to go up the sides, two to start leap frogging my way up, but when you get to the high wall that the creeper overflows on you have to leave a blaster there to keep it from overflowing into the narrow passage way, that's where the third blaster comes in at.

I might give this a try when someone beats my score. This is not unlikely, because I recall setting a better time during testing (I lost 2 collectors in a test tube due to a deficit). Thanks for sharing your strategy!

Fisherck

Very fun map! It took me a little more than a couple tries to get
my time down, let alone finish it. I liked how you needed to fight
the Creeper at multiple points, keeping you multitasking.
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

UpperKEES

Thanks Fisherck! :)

And wow, the completion times got very close (top 3)!

Karsten75