Particle Fleet Demo Now Available!

Started by knucracker, September 28, 2016, 10:56:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knucracker

Quote from: Praetonus on September 28, 2016, 04:33:33 PM
Quote from: virgilw on September 28, 2016, 04:09:08 PM
Take a look at the attached screen shot.  That should be the stage you are on.  Do you see the red arrow pointing to the cancel button and the "Press cancel" text at the top of the display?  My suspicion is you might not see that text and you don't notice the cancel button.  Perhaps that text isn't showing in the linux version...

I don't have the arrow or the text. I tried clicking the cancel button after building the mine and the omni, it didn't do anything.

Can you post a screenshot of what you see when the tutorial seems to stop?
Also, can you still interact with the game (move the ship around ,etc)?

It's a very odd error.  Seems to be at a very high level.  There's nothing strange in the log either.

I just tried it on a ubuntu 15.10 system (running in vmware with a hacked up opengl driver) and everything seems find (text, arrow, etc).  So I'm at a loss as to what would cause the tutorial to stop like that.  So, I'm looking for other issues that might give a hint.

Praetonus

Quote from: virgilw on September 28, 2016, 04:44:20 PM
Can you post a screenshot of what you see when the tutorial seems to stop?
Also, can you still interact with the game (move the ship around ,etc)?

It's a very odd error.  Seems to be at a very high level.  There's nothing strange in the log either.

I just tried it on a ubuntu 15.10 system (running in vmware with a hacked up opengl driver) and everything seems find (text, arrow, etc).  So I'm at a loss as to what would cause the tutorial to stop like that.  So, I'm looking for other issues that might give a hint.

I've put the screenshot in the attachments. This is right after jumping in with the HQ. If I hit "done" on the story dialogs, no new text shows up, even after building the mine and the omni. I can still interact with the game after that.

Xeneonic

Having played the demo from begin to end (prologue - 5 + the 2 extra missions), this game is as awesome as I had hoped (Although I could already tell from the videos posted by virgilw).

Also, karsten, why are you listed in the credits as bridge painter? I'm very curious as to the origins of that credit :P

Sorrontis

Quote from: Xeneonic on September 28, 2016, 05:38:15 PM
Having played the demo from begin to end (prologue - 5 + the 2 extra missions), this game is as awesome as I had hoped (Although I could already tell from the videos posted by virgilw).

Also, karsten, why are you listed in the credits as bridge painter? I'm very curious as to the origins of that credit :P

What's the 2 extra missions?
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Grabarz

Quote from: Sorrontis on September 28, 2016, 06:02:01 PM

Look at the Inception menu, next to Story. You can play two more missions there, which are much more involving than the first 5 campaign missions.

Sorrontis

Quote from: Grabarz on September 28, 2016, 06:02:46 PM

Look at the Inception menu, next to Story. You can play two more missions there, which are much harder than the campaign.

I was curious to their names :) I'm not running the demo  ;)
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Xeneonic

Quote from: Sorrontis on September 28, 2016, 06:04:09 PM
Quote from: Grabarz on September 28, 2016, 06:02:46 PM

Look at the Inception menu, next to Story. You can play two more missions there, which are much harder than the campaign.

3: Daisy Chain and 7: Archipelago

Karsten75

Quote from: Sorrontis on September 28, 2016, 06:04:09 PM

#3 Daisy Chain
#7 Archipelago

knucracker

Quote from: Praetonus on September 28, 2016, 05:11:27 PM
I've put the screenshot in the attachments. This is right after jumping in with the HQ. If I hit "done" on the story dialogs, no new text shows up, even after building the mine and the omni. I can still interact with the game after that.

So you do not ever see the screen in the attached screenshot?

Praetonus

Quote from: virgilw on September 28, 2016, 07:02:29 PM
So you do not ever see the screen in the attached screenshot?

No, I don't. If I close the story dialogs before jumping in with the HQ, there are no popups or anything.

knucracker

I doubt it will make a difference, but try downloading the demo again.  I just built the demo again off of the 1.0 source (mostly typo fixes).  If you had a corrupt version or something odd like that, grabbing it again would help.
http://knucklecracker.com/common/demo.php

Other than that, I'm at a loss.  No errors or exceptions in the log, and it looks like the mission started.
You might also click around on the other things on the main menu (the help, credits, etc) to see if there are any problems with those. 

12345ieee

Debian sid, amd64, running on a laptop (integrated graphics).
Everything works perfectly, AFAICS.

Valley

Tried the story and planetfalls beautiful map (nicely done), everything's running fine.

Win 10 64x

Praetonus

Quote from: virgilw on September 28, 2016, 07:44:20 PM
I doubt it will make a difference, but try downloading the demo again.  I just built the demo again off of the 1.0 source (mostly typo fixes).  If you had a corrupt version or something odd like that, grabbing it again would help.
http://knucklecracker.com/common/demo.php

Other than that, I'm at a loss.  No errors or exceptions in the log, and it looks like the mission started.
You might also click around on the other things on the main menu (the help, credits, etc) to see if there are any problems with those.

Unfortunately it's still the same thing with 1.0. The rest of the game seems fine, including the available inception missions.

knucracker

Really.... those inception missions work but the first story mission doesn't.  That makes basically no sense :) 

All I can figure is it has to do with the overlay text.  That is used in the first two story missions and never again I think.  It may be trying to use a system font - perhaps one that doesn't exist on your machine.  I would expect some error in the log, but who knows.  That is really the only thing unique about the story mission.  It also tries to show that overlay text right after the first conversation box is dismissed.

That overlay text should be "Arial".  See if you have that font on your system.