Custom Map #8106: Downward Spiral (HARD Version). By: Jason Stevens

Started by AutoPost, January 11, 2020, 01:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #8106: Downward Spiral (HARD Version)

Author: Jason Stevens
Size: 256x256

Desc:
This is an extended, more difficult version of "Downward Spiral". #Spore #Runner #Heavy-Creep #Pump #Sleeper-Spore (NOT a sleeper map) #AC-Turret

marvinitfox

Ok, lets see...

Additional ground to conquer: almost irrelevant. Once strong enough to take the spiral core, anything else will be trivial.

Add some mega spore launchers: strong and dangerous, but so close to the corner of the spiral that they become predictable, thus easily handled.

All ore on enemy lands: This *really hurts*, as creep release from killing the digi track will hurt, whereas even a light dusting of AC would have prevented.  Ah well.

All totems on enemy lands... Just forces micromanagement.
Sure you could nibble at the SW totems, but easier/faster/better to just make 4 guppies, then send&retrieveBeforeDeath them into that rich totem field.

So in short, this map is ridiculously easy, just a  lot of hard work to complete.
And seriously folks... have you seen the energy requirement for the Thor? It's over 9000!

Johnny Haywire

Heh, nice map!

I didn't do micromanaging because that's just annoying. My solution was to take out two of the super-spore towers right away then build on the closest outer ring. I then turtled up and kept the remaining spores from hitting anything. It took a few pauses to set up a network, but from there it was just a matter of letting it run and wait for the berthas to build.

I'd recommend building relays along with the collectors. They'll help your powergrid build up faster initially and transport packets faster later, both of which are good things.

I didn't build a Thor, nor take out the middle. But there are a lot of different approaches you could take in playing this map which makes it more enjoyable.

IMO, this is an excellent map. Sure, it could be more difficult and still manageable but it looks like it only about 1 in 10 players have been able to complete it so maybe it's difficult enough as it is.

Thanks for the map!  ;D ;D
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?