Custom Map #100: ETF1: Whirlpool

Started by AutoPost, August 28, 2011, 01:01:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #100: ETF1: Whirlpool

Author: eighttailedfox

Desc:
EightTailedFox Mission 1: Whirlpool. The creeper form a whirlpool in which to assault you. You cannot survive a direct assault. Work fast as possible to reactivate your warp drive. It will be your only salvation.

Mare

Excellent map!! I loved it, it was well done. I wanted to know where you got the character pictures from. Did you make them or did you get them from somewhere?

PS: The creeper from minecraft?!?!? Nice job!!
Lying is an Art Form, to succeed, some truth most be woven into the fabric of deception -Anonymous
If you want something done then do it yourself, if you can't,then ask someone to do it for you, making sure to compensate later. If you cannot do that, then you're better off doing nothing at all -Me

Ebon Heart

I LOL'd at the minecraft creeper. Nice job, keep up the good work!
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

Fisherck

It was a very good first map! The creeper did make me laugh. I liked the multiple places where the creeper could break through, and you had to worry about. But the creeper surrounding the LS (with the decayable terrain around it) was never even close to threatening me. And the creeper that would shoot up on the sides I just blocked with shields. But I am an expert at this game, and it will provide a better challenge to normal players. ;)

Keep it up!
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

TonyP2000

Cool custom tiles! This is a pretty good map, sure better than my first map.
Vote Tony!

Sqaz

Great map, keep up the good work.

Quote from: Fisherck on August 28, 2011, 09:13:42 AM
But the creeper surrounding the LS (with the decayable terrain around it) was never even close to threatening me. And the creeper that would shoot up on the sides I just blocked with shields.

I think it was meant to be that you finish the map before those emitters break free, as they are 100M intensity I don't think you would be able to withstand that.
I also blocked the Creeper everywhere (not just the sides but also the middle shooting thingy) with shields, not sure if that was meant to be, but as you had tons of energy it doesn't really make that much of a difference.

eighttailedfox

Google my friends. Then a photo editor. Bam. Custom Characters.

As for the whole purpose to the time limit and the emitters that aren't threatening, if you take your time, and let the whirlpool reach you, you cannot survive, this is fact. I've tried, it can't be done.

Second, this is a map you will see again in my series. Since you took all the good resources this first time around, you won't have as much help next time. The previously useless emitters will be a pain next time.

I'm glad at the positive feedback from you guys. So in advance, I would like to apologize for the slog in map two. It won't happen the same way again. Map 2, The Brick We lay, will be out in 10 hours.

Edit: The tiles were an incomplete Fisherck set, that I completed. He has them posted in the custom tile thread.

Fisherck

Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:46:21 PM
I think it was meant to be that you finish the map before those emitters break free, as they are 100M intensity I don't think you would be able to withstand that.
I also blocked the Creeper everywhere (not just the sides but also the middle shooting thingy) with shields, not sure if that was meant to be, but as you had tons of energy it doesn't really make that much of a difference.
I know that. :D I was just saying that being in danger of those emitters were such a long way off that I didn't give them a secong thought. :)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

Kithros

Quote from: Fisherck on August 28, 2011, 04:38:00 PM
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:46:21 PM
I know that. :D I was just saying that being in danger of those emitters were such a long way off that I didn't give them a secong thought. :)

Truthfully there's very little of anything that's threatening in this map (for me) - I would have been fine if all the artifacts gave no resources. As it is I pretty much maxed out packet speed ASAP and just rushed down with mass microrifts. I never even needed to worry about either the left/right emitters pushing creeper up or the phantoms. Difficulty aside the map seems pretty good though.

EDIT: One thing worth mentioning - the normal terrain tiles are very dark and it can be a little difficult to tell whether it's terrain or empty space at times.

Mare

Quote from: eighttailedfox on August 28, 2011, 04:22:43 PM

As for the whole purpose to the time limit and the emitters that aren't threatening, if you take your time, and let the whirlpool reach you, you cannot survive, this is fact. I've tried, it can't be done.

Second, this is a map you will see again in my series. Since you took all the good resources this first time around, you won't have as much help next time. The previously useless emitters will be a pain next time.

I'm glad at the positive feedback from you guys. So in advance, I would like to apologize for the slog in map two. It won't happen the same way again. Map 2, The Brick We lay, will be out in 10 hours.

Edit: The tiles were an incomplete Fisherck set, that I completed. He has them posted in the custom tile thread.

Good job finishing fisherck's terrain tiles!!!
I loved the map and can't wait for the next one!!

PS: MORE A.I.!!! SHE IS FUNNY!!!
Lying is an Art Form, to succeed, some truth most be woven into the fabric of deception -Anonymous
If you want something done then do it yourself, if you can't,then ask someone to do it for you, making sure to compensate later. If you cannot do that, then you're better off doing nothing at all -Me

eighttailedfox

Quote from: Mare on August 28, 2011, 04:54:25 PM
Quote from: eighttailedfox on August 28, 2011, 04:22:43 PM

Good job finishing fisherck's terrain tiles!!!
I loved the map and can't wait for the next one!!

PS: MORE A.I.!!! SHE IS FUNNY!!!

Does AI have a gender? Either why it's name is JORDAN.

toastkid

I'm missing something obvious with this map i think - i've destroyed all the generators and creeper (apart from that spiraling in towards the ship) and don't know what to do now.  I guess the key is the bit of wall at the bottom right with the blue x but i don't know what i'm supposed to do with this...

eighttailedfox

It means you destroyed a gateway prematurely.

toastkid

Quote from: toastkid on December 09, 2011, 01:18:04 PM
I'm missing something obvious with this map i think - i've destroyed all the generators and creeper (apart from that spiraling in towards the ship) and don't know what to do now.  I guess the key is the bit of wall at the bottom right with the blue x but i don't know what i'm supposed to do with this...
Never mind, i just figured it out - i hadn't collected the bunkers, once i did that (after a bit of pondering) it seemed obvious.  Great map! :)

Relli

I remember my first time through, I threw up a nullifier on that gateway while I was collecting the bunker, then learned that I had to leave it alive for a while. Thanks a lot for giving it two health :D