Is the Creeper a living organism

Started by Clean0nion, October 07, 2013, 08:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clean0nion

Randomgold

Well, it's not a liquid per say.  More like a runny gel I think.  As for whether or not it's alive...hmmmm

Spoiler
No, I don't think so.  See, once we get to the last few missions, we learn that it 'remembers' what it destroys and then transmits that data.  That means it's probably more like a computer network.  It just happens to be one that operates in a very different manner than what we think of.  It might have some organic properties, but it's probably not really alive.   
[close]

Captain Ford

Straightforward answer: No, it's not organic, and my impression has always been that its made with materials that don't normally exist in our reality (which is why it can be produced from thin air and simply vanishes into nothing when its destroyed).

Otherwise, it really depends on how abstract you want to get.

Grauniad

Back in CW1 days we spent some time defining the exact nature of Creeper. While the exact description is nor readily available to me now, I recall that it was not a liquid - and it does not spread like a liquid either. The exact mechanism by which it spreads is modeled on the flow of heat through material
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Imposter

Quote from: Grauniad on October 07, 2013, 11:06:16 PM
Back in CW1 days we spent some time defining the exact nature of Creeper. While the exact description is nor readily available to me now, I recall that it was not a liquid - and it does not spread like a liquid either. The exact mechanism by which it spreads is modeled on the flow of heat through material
Yea, I think one of the CW1 bonus missions mentioned what equation it was modeled after.

steveman0

Quote from: Captain Ford on October 07, 2013, 11:00:03 PM
Straightforward answer: No, it's not organic, and my impression has always been that its made with materials that don't normally exist in our reality (which is why it can be produced from thin air and simply vanishes into nothing when its destroyed).

Otherwise, it really depends on how abstract you want to get.
Somewhere in the CW lore (in CW2 I believe) the creeper is explained to exist in an alternate dimension which is bridged by the emitters and anti-creeper is similar but from a different reality still.  So, yes it is something that isn't organic and is something beyond the form of what is typical in the regular universe.