Main Menu

1.0.3 Beta

Started by knucracker, November 23, 2016, 06:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knucracker

The steam beta branch for Particle Fleet has been updated with build 1.0.3b11.0.3b2
Please give it a shot and let me know if you have any major problems. 
[Right click the game in steam and go to "Properties".  Then select the "BETAS" tab. Select "Beta" from the dropdown on that page]

See the TODO- Short Term topic for the current changes:
https://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=21687.0

12345ieee

Big V, the ship stats are terribly obnoxious, I don't want to trigger them every time I mouseover a built ship.

Any chance I can show them only if I mouseover over the ship in the left list?
Or disable them at all, I typically want them only at the very beginning of a mission.

Or maybe, put them somewhere else, do you have space under the left ship list in 720p?

knucracker

I added an option to the graphics menu just for that... (it is already there). :) I figured some folks wouldn't want that popup on ship mouse over.  I might also default it to off.  It defaults to on right now because I wanted people to see it.

As for space, at 720 the build panel takes up the whole height.  I could of course put it in different spots based on available real estate, but try turning it off on ship mouse over and see if it is more reasonable for you.

knucracker

1.0.3b2 has been pushed to the steam beta channel.

12345ieee

Now I'm probably asking way too much, but could you fit the new ship preview in the bottom bar, on the left, instead of a separate tooltip?

Even 800x600 has extra space in the bottom bar.

knucracker

Here's a screenshot at 1024x720 when the UI is mostly all being used.  That bottom bar gets used for a range of things depending on what is selected.  When a ship is selected, for instance, it is completely full of control buttons for each ship.

So to get the ship info preview to work in most cases, I didn't have many options other than the popup. (Note also that the screenshot is showing how much space is taken up by a max sized ship).

12345ieee

I forgot the editor window.
Sorry for the noise.

Is it possible to get just the "current_energy/energy [p%]" to the bottom bar?

knucracker

Are you talking about for a given ship?  Currently, I show the energy total (but not the max energy) for each ship in the popup (once the ship is building).  Showing the total can be done, but it isn't as intuitive as you might think all of the time.  It can vary based on the presence of tanks (and possibly guppies if I add support for that).  Those things can come and go during construction/destruction of a ship.  So the energy max, and hence a % indicator can move around for reasons other than raw energy storage and use.

For instance, a well supplied tanker might show 99% full and then drop to 10% when tanks complete construction, then climb up to 100%.  If I track guppy storage, that percent would go up and down based on when guppies are landed and loading.

Stickman

Quote from: virgilw on November 30, 2016, 01:54:43 PM
Showing the total can be done, but it isn't as intuitive as you might think all of the time.  It can vary based on the presence of tanks (and possibly guppies if I add support for that).  Those things can come and go during construction/destruction of a ship.  So the energy max, and hence a % indicator can move around for reasons other than raw energy storage and use.

For instance, a well supplied tanker might show 99% full and then drop to 10% when tanks complete construction, then climb up to 100%.  If I track guppy storage, that percent would go up and down based on when guppies are landed and loading.

My five cents: use "current energy"/"maximum possible energy by design". Just add up CM, tanks and guppys storage and put that number as maximum possible energy for the ship, and count percentage from there. What useful information would variable maximum storage provide?
You already use this system for hulls  - why do you need to change it for energy?
=====> This is a moderately pointy stick. You need to poke me with it once in three days if you need PRPL from me

12345ieee

Quote from: Stickman on November 30, 2016, 03:14:04 PM
Quote from: virgilw on November 30, 2016, 01:54:43 PM
Showing the total can be done, but it isn't as intuitive as you might think all of the time.  It can vary based on the presence of tanks (and possibly guppies if I add support for that).  Those things can come and go during construction/destruction of a ship.  So the energy max, and hence a % indicator can move around for reasons other than raw energy storage and use.

My five cents: use "current energy"/"maximum possible energy by design". Just add up CM, tanks and guppys storage and put that number as maximum possible energy for the ship, and count percentage from there. What useful information would variable maximum storage provide?
You already use this system for hulls  - why do you need to change it for energy?

Pretty much.

My general problem is that I find the ship/omni UI severely lacking in information and functionality.
I miss something similar to CW3's Cannon/Mortar UI, especially for omni, so that:

* I can see energy and life expressed in numbers and with a big bar, easy to read and judge, instead of judging the length of a bar 10 pixels long and 2 pixels wide.
* I can deactivate/disarm/stop resupply them, as of now I can only disarm (very granularly, though), but "stop resupply" would be great in early game.

yum-forum

When will be ready 1.0.3 non-steam version of game?
1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last

Dark Ambition

QuoteCompletion date? Heh. When it's done. -Torbjorn