DMD map rating system

Started by Builder17, April 26, 2016, 01:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Builder17

That's stupid that rating can be given only in score sending screen. It should be possible to rate DMD map , you have played , from online maps menu as well IMO.  :)

Karsten75

Quote from: Builder17 on April 26, 2016, 01:41:30 PM
That's stupid that rating can be given only in score sending screen. It should be possible to rate DMD map , you have played , from online maps menu as well IMO.  :)

You just called Virgil "stupid"?  :o

GoodMorning

A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Builder17

I talked about system...  :-[ I am sorry that my message could be misunderstand this way.  :(
English isn't my mother language still.  :'(
I know Virgil doesn't have currently time to do any changes , I just told my opinion about DMD.

Edit: When I sended first message , I was angry , because I forget to rate map I played and wasn't able to rate it without replaying it...   >:(

Karsten75

Well your anger might have made you blind. If you simply go back into the map, you can rate it. No need to replay it. Virgil was not as shortsighted as you thought.

I just tested it. I started a DMD map, then left it and got the rating screen. Didn't rate it. WHen I selected the same map again from the DMD, I could rate it without opening it.

GoodMorning

Still, think before you write, think twice before you put it on the Internet.

On the matter of languages: usually, one would say "English isn't my first language", or being poetic/flamboyant, "English isn't my mother tongue". However, your (written) English seems better than that of many who speak no other language. (Would that I did.) What is your first language, then, may I ask? (Note: this conversation might need to be moved...)

Karsten75

Quote from: GoodMorning on April 27, 2016, 08:44:41 AM
What is your first language, then, may I ask? (Note: this conversation might need to be moved...)

Take it here: Where are you from?

Good rule on here: Don't make work for the mods. :)

Work makes me grumpy. Playing Creeper World makes me happy.

GoodMorning

OK. What's the best way for me to redirect from here to there? Is there some button I have missed?

chwooly

The new rating system is bad, I realize there are children here that like to whine a lot when they get low scores however that is not a reason to change the system, And yes, I can always use the forum, But that well devolve into name calling and eventually getting banned for being mean to the children. At the most to appease these children make it so if you have put in some time, 5 or 10 mins then you should be able to rate even if you didn't finish. I have maps that I have scored because I can't finish them, Yes I score them low because IMNSHO that is what they deserve. Now my opinion is not longer counted. This is a great way to marginalize those of us who are not power players. And I am willing to bet that there are a lot more casual players that have bought these games then the power players

If you are going to marginalize everyone then take away the scoring system and the rating system completely, This will stop the children from whining, This is 1 of the few games I play actually the only 1 play where there is a rating system.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

Karsten75

I am not aware of a change in rating system and I believe that Particle Fleet will have a somewhat revised system. The rating system is only effective as a) feedback to map makers and b) as a guide to enjoyable maps. In that aspect, it is similar to a movie rating system. Since not all people like the same movies, the system is inherently flawed. I never understood why teenage vampire movies or zombie apocalypse movies are highly rated.

Rhadamante

My 2 cent : rating isn't that useful anyway. I'd much rather have a sort of comment system directly in the game (with a login sorta thing). That wouldn't remove problems, nothing is perfect, but comments are much more useful for both map makers and players.
I get that it's not easy to implement such a thing though.

Karsten75

Comments will remain here on the forums. It's far easier to manage than to build an entire system into the game.

Builder17

Most players don't find forum , any idea what to do about it?  ???

Karsten75

Quote from: Builder17 on July 14, 2016, 02:35:04 PM
Most players don't find forum , any idea what to do about it?  ???

You mean to say they don't see the "forum" button on every custom map? I don't think Virgil's budget stretches to eyeglasses and cognitive remediation for players.

Builder17

Was that joke or did you meant it seriously , Karsten75? :)

I meant it's not fault of button visibility , but I feel that all players don't think forum is something they should use.  :-\

Or don't some players just want use forum?