Custom Map #591: Octagons. By: Sorrontis

Started by AutoPost, January 27, 2017, 11:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #591: Octagons

Author: Sorrontis
Size: 300x300

Desc:
That's a variation on squares. I couldn't do a dodecahedron. I'm not an artist. Don't expect so much from me. #NoPRPL

yum-forum

Interesting map, but toooooo many "moving emitters" and only 1 LATHE-ship...   :o
Will continue tomorrow.  :)
1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last

Sorrontis

Quote from: yum-forum on January 27, 2017, 03:53:35 PM
Interesting map, but toooooo many "moving emitters" and only 1 LATHE-ship...   :o
Will continue tomorrow.  :)

I'm assuming you mean the swarm bots?

As for lathe ships, there should be two:
A Yggtros and an Eater.

EDIT: I should say, there's 8 totems /\.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Stickman

I started at 12. Might be not the best start, which might lead to worse experience.

That was interesting but less enjoyable that squares. There are some great ideas with emitter control tech (poor thing is rarely used), mire spawner suppression, optional ticon defense you have to choose if you want to use by keeping a supply ship close, maybe even more I overlooked.

On the other hand, I was personally quite annoyed by some problems. Unlatheable structure at they center is not that dangerous, but, well, annoying. Lathe balance is weird - pretty much just HQ for quite a while (Yggtros tends to loose its unarmored lathe way to easy, making it unreliable), then you suddenly get Eater that can go alone against almost any threat, except "swarm bots". The "swarmbots", these particle-spewing doppels, also count as annoying due to lack of good options to deal with them. They are less frustrating on yum's maps, as yum normally provides something equally overpowered to counter them. I could deal with one nest of these before finding out where Sorrontis hid these totems.
=====> This is a moderately pointy stick. You need to poke me with it once in three days if you need PRPL from me

Sorrontis

I started at the two 5s. Was a pretty decent run. No clue what RrR did though.

Thanks for the review. I agree, the Yggtros will be redesigned soon.

I'll try again with diamonds.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

yum-forum

Quote from: Stickman on January 28, 2017, 09:03:06 AM
I started at 12. Might be not the best start, which might lead to worse experience.

That was interesting but less enjoyable that squares. There are some great ideas with emitter control tech (poor thing is rarely used), mire spawner suppression, optional ticon defense you have to choose if you want to use by keeping a supply ship close, maybe even more I overlooked.

On the other hand, I was personally quite annoyed by some problems. Unlatheable structure at they center is not that dangerous, but, well, annoying. Lathe balance is weird - pretty much just HQ for quite a while (Yggtros tends to loose its unarmored lathe way to easy, making it unreliable), then you suddenly get Eater that can go alone against almost any threat, except "swarm bots". The "swarmbots", these particle-spewing doppels, also count as annoying due to lack of good options to deal with them. They are less frustrating on yum's maps, as yum normally provides something equally overpowered to counter them. I could deal with one nest of these before finding out where Sorrontis hid these totems.

+1  Absolutly agree with Stickman: very havy "moving emitters" and almost no ships against it.
I finished map, but not so enjoyed as previous one. 2 ships with LATHE wery weak, secret totems was for me unpredictable.
Hope to enjoy this map in SANDBOX MODE...  ;)
1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last

D0m0nik

It took a while to get over the disappointment at the lack of dodecahedrons, I feel a little cheated  :P

I really liked the map, the swarmbots created a unique dynamic and you have to build up around the edges staying out of harms way and gaining strength before the push into the middle.

Spoiler

I started top right and worked around the map very quickly in a counter-clockwise direction using omnis where possible. It is worth pointing out that there are already tech upgrades selected at the start, for me defensive structure and mine canons were vital as a mine can then pretty much guard itself. Omni upgrades also vital.

As for swarm bots - distract them with a sucicde unit and then blast them from the side with your MK7s (is that name of the big guns??), they fall easily.
[close]

Lathe ships - I collected the little one right at the end and didn't use it, the big V shaped one I thought was very good, requires a constant source of power but that gave an interetsing logistics problem.

I will prob give this one another go starting in another area.

E9577

A nice map, and extremely challenging.  Its not a battle; it's a campaign.  I think I spent 4 or 5  days on it starting at the bottom left and working right and up before I went for the top left corner.

Johnny Haywire

This one is pretty much a series of cool challenges - so many different places to start, and virtually any of them can work.

The HQ can respawn, and the enemy doesn't actively expand nor recapture areas (i.e., no enemy lathe ships) - so you can go at your own pace and not worry.

Once you get "The Eater" - you pretty much won't need any other ships, unless you enjoy micromanaging.

The "swarmers" present the greatest challenge in the map, but you can dispatch them fairly easily...
Spoiler
1) As dom noted above, you can distract them with one ship and target them with another. They target the closest threat.
2) They apparently don't consider omnis to be threatening, and will not fire at them. If they collide (in space or ground) they'll destroy the omni. But you can drop an omni in the middle of the base (assuming you've made room for it) and then it's easier.
3) The upper-right swarmers seem stronger than the others. Save them for last.
4) They are squishy. Their guns are dangerous, but their armor is lacking so ram them quickly and they'll go pop.
[close]

EDIT: I missed a totem, and thought I had to take all the other bases, but I didn't see the totems. I took down the upper-right swarmer base before activating them. This is a lot more difficult than activating totems. If you like to win the easy way, just Activate them. That makes stuff really easy.
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?