[How-To] Creeper World 3 on Linux (wine)

Started by born2chill, October 04, 2013, 03:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

born2chill

Editorial note:
Please note that a native Linux beta is now available. Please feel free to try it out from here. -G.

A guide to installing CW1 and 2 can be found here: http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=6877.0

hi guys,

although (i guess?) V plans to release a native linux version I couldn't wait and had to try to get it to run with wine. It seems it runs very well, even on my cheap-a** laptop. I used the default windows 32 bit binary, didn't try with 64bit yet.

System specs:
Arch Linux 64bit
Intel ULV 2*1.33GHz, 4GB RAM
i965 IGP Graphics

I had to install wine, wine-mono, winetricks and lib32-intel-dri. This is how I did it on Arch, but I guess other distros ship those libraries too.
~# sudo pacman -S lib32-intel-dri wine wine-mono winetricks

Package versions
- intel-dri 9.2.0
- libva-intel-driver 1.2.0
- xf86-video-intel 2.21.15
- lib32-intel-dri 9.2.0
- wine 1.7.3
- wine-mono 0.0.8-1
- winetricks 20130707

For other graphics card you'll need the respective Nvidia or AMD 32bit GL libraries, otherwise you'll be seeing errors like:
libGL error: failed to load driver: <driver name>

As for wine, we'll need dx3d and corefonts:

~# winetricks corefonts
~# winetricks d3dx9_43

To install the game just run the installer with wine:
~# wine CreeperWorld3-<version>.exe

In winecfg I created an entry for the CW3 executable and added overrides for d3dx9* (native, builtin). And that's it - CW3 ready to run!
~# wine <path-to-cw3-install>/CW3.exe

On a typical wine installation this probably looks like that:
~# wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/KnuckleCracker/Creeper\ World\ 3/CW3.exe

To make the annoying debug messages (fixme:... and the like) go away start the game like so:
~# WINEDEBUG=fixme-all wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/KnuckleCracker/Creeper\ World\ 3/CW3.exe

greez,
b2c

edit:
- added package versions
- changed title to reflect this is a how-to

Editorial note:
Please note that a native Linux beta is now available. Please feel free to try it out from here. -G.

J

CW3 curretly doesn't work on linux
congrats on making CW3 work under linux

teknotiss

Quote from: J on October 04, 2013, 04:32:05 PM
CW3 curretly doesn't work on linux

looks like you can jam in through though. V might be interested in this.
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

miquelfire

Officially, CW3 doesn't work on Linux, but unofficially with wine however, it could work. That's the point of this thread. :P

Grauniad

Quote from: teknotiss on October 04, 2013, 04:44:24 PM
V might be interested in this.

Virgil is aware of this thread and is pleased to know it can be done. I guess on his to-do list is still getting the game to run in native Linux.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

knucracker

I'm going to have a go at getting unity to play well on Linux... so maybe we can have a native build.  But hearing that somebody got it working under wine... very cool.

dicky82

So,
i've managed it to run CW3 with wine64 in Linux MInt x_64, everything works just fine, after:
messing with my dualmonitor setup, wine in fullscreen always gets my second monitor which is on the side and the smaler one, so i have to start cw with a shellscript which does this:

xrandr please disable my second monitor, and predend we have a single-monitor-setup
wine run cw3
xrand pleas, with a shitload of parameteers, bring my dualscreen setup back to life

this is just fine, since the scripts are already there, other games needs them to.

BUT

my mousewheel is just not working in CW3, running something like notepad++ and my wheel wheels like it should, any ideas anyone?

Grauniad

A native Linux build is now in beta test. Go here to download and evaluate: http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=14505.0
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon