Suggestion on improving CW4's "Colonial Space" rating system

Started by Grabz, June 14, 2018, 05:54:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grabz

Quote from: Alter Old on July 11, 2018, 12:34:56 PM
I would left the assessment available to all, but the 'more' or 'advanced' button displays a separate rating from those who finished map, and from those who did not finish. In this case, there are general information about map and specific (in the light of score table).

Yeah, I have also seen a suggestion like this yesterday on Discord:

It's certainly another option I guess. Personally I don't see the point, aside from that it would be kinda funny, because it would indicate that the larger the difference between the ratings is, the more people have rage quit an actually good map, and then went to rate it low out of frustration because they weren't good enough to beat it.

I guess it's one indication of how difficult a map is, though I'm not sure if it's better than clear rate, and it wouldn't be attached to actually beating a map so it could more easily be skewed.
For quicker response, reply to me directly at Grabz#4707 on Discord. Find me on the KC server: https://discord.gg/knucklecracker

Alter Old

The assessment in such type does not show quantity of appraisers. It is necessary so:
3,1(32) => 9(4) & 2,25(28)
Last assessment, basically, is not mandatory, but for presentation it is useful. Well and players can make conclusions independently, whether not so? ; )
As usual, forgive for my English.

Karsten75

Quote from: Alter Old on July 11, 2018, 12:34:56 PM
Quote from: Grabz on June 14, 2018, 05:54:28 AM
Players must have finished the map to be able to rate.
I would left the assessment available to all, but the 'more' or 'advanced' button displays a separate rating from those who finished map, and from those who did not finish. In this case, there are general information about map and specific (in the light of score table).

This is very sensible and implementable. Good suggestion, thanks.

GoodMorning

Well, if you're going to do that anyway...

I suggest a histogram (which can give hints on the reasons why - a 1-and-10 very hard map, against a 3-to-5 mediocre map).

It's straightforward enough to recolour parts of the bars for the ratings of those who finished it.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

harrymcb

what if instead of a granular 1-10 system you just had a like or dislike button? then showed the percentage. i know some people like me are bad at granular rating. and they are harder to read as well. if a map is rated 5 did half rate 10 and half 1? or did all rate 5. it is a very different thing.

cornucanis

Quote from: harrymcb on October 02, 2019, 04:38:05 PM
what if instead of a granular 1-10 system you just had a like or dislike button? then showed the percentage. i know some people like me are bad at granular rating. and they are harder to read as well. if a map is rated 5 did half rate 10 and half 1? or did all rate 5. it is a very different thing.

This is the system that was used in CW2, though I can't say for a certainty why it was changed for later installments.

chwooly

Quote from: harrymcb on October 02, 2019, 04:38:05 PM

Netflix did this, I am not a fan.  1-5 1-10 works better IMO because you might not dislike the map but you dislike aspects, So how do you rate in that instance?

Cheers
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

Grabz

Quote from: chwooly on October 07, 2019, 06:11:40 AM
Netflix did this, I am not a fan.  1-5 1-10 works better IMO because you might not dislike the map but you dislike aspects, So how do you rate in that instance?
Just go by overall feeling I'd say. Was it an enjoyable experience or not?

It's not ideal but 1-10 isn't without fault as well. Everybody rates by their own scale so in the end a 1-10 rating system is an amalgamation of different rules that different users score by. For one person a 5 might be an average map, for another it might be a terrible map. For one person an 7 is a great rating, for another 7 means mediocre.
For quicker response, reply to me directly at Grabz#4707 on Discord. Find me on the KC server: https://discord.gg/knucklecracker

jaworeq

I don't like like/dislike system. It is implemented in steam reviews and I often feel it lacks something in between for cases when you enjoy some parts and purely hate others.

Dark Ambition

Why not just... drop a like/dislike, upvote/downvote rating system entirely, and replace with commendations?
Perhaps rather than ask the player to perform a whole survey on if they liked the map and why when they exit it (completed or not), just have them tick a yes or no box for commendations before they can continue back to the selection screen.
If you really liked a map, give it a commendation. If not, then... don't.
Maps with no commendations, and been out for a few days? Probably not a good map.
Maps with high commendations, obviously, a well liked map.

Could be combined with some of the other things here, but I think these systems are better when simple.

Comparison, Good Map

Rating: 8.62 - Num: 2506
Downloads: 5032

Commendations: 1220
Downloads: 5032
[close]
Comparison, Bad Map

Rating: 2.11 - Num: 346
Downloads: 938

Commendations: 12
Downloads: 938
[close]

See attached for small mockup

Grabz

Kind of like the star button in Super Mario Maker. I like it.

Although in SMM2 they ended up adding both a star button and a "boo!" button. Perhaps it's necessary to give players an outlet to say a level is bad, not just good. But then it's just a like/dislike system again.

Quote from: jaworeq on October 18, 2019, 03:22:17 AM
I don't like like/dislike system. It is implemented in steam reviews and I often feel it lacks something in between for cases when you enjoy some parts and purely hate others.
There is an in-between case: abstain from voting.

chwooly

Quote from: Grabz on October 26, 2019, 10:28:40 AM
Kind of like the star button in Super Mario Maker. I like it.

Although in SMM2 they ended up adding both a star button and a "boo!" button. Perhaps it's necessary to give players an outlet to say a level is bad, not just good. But then it's just a like/dislike system again.

Quote from: jaworeq on October 18, 2019, 03:22:17 AM
There is an in-between case: abstain from voting.

One of the great things about this game is that because of the forums, maps, and voting system people feel they have a voice, If that is taken away it will diminish that feeling, I firmly believe that the rating system has value. And I don't rate every map I play but I do like having the option,

8) I have found that with the like/dislike system from Netflix, I tend to make a point of rating those I dislike and not rating those I like.  ::) I am sure that there is some PHD dissertation waiting to be written on the social meaning of that.  8) ::)  I am fairly certain it would be that same if that system was implemented here.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

Grabz

Quote from: chwooly on October 26, 2019, 12:11:06 PM
One of the great things about this game is that because of the forums, maps, and voting system people feel they have a voice, If that is taken away it will diminish that feeling, I firmly believe that the rating system has value. And I don't rate every map I play but I do like having the option,

8) I have found that with the like/dislike system from Netflix, I tend to make a point of rating those I dislike and not rating those I like.  ::) I am sure that there is some PHD dissertation waiting to be written on the social meaning of that.  8) ::)  I am fairly certain it would be that same if that system was implemented here.
Well nobody's actually suggesting getting rid of the rating system entirely, you still have a voice as long as there is any sort of rating system. I'm in no particular boat because I think all the suggested rating systems have their pros and cons, though I do lean in favor of simplicity and limited user trust.

I watch some Netflix but it's hard for me to say as I always vote on shows I finish so I can keep track of what I watched.