packet speed nodes

Started by Aurzel, November 24, 2009, 04:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurzel

i have a uestion regarding these about the mechanics, how do they work? do they double the speed of the packets, raise it by a percentage each time, raise the speed by a fixed value?

knucracker

Each speed node will increase the speed of the packets by some amount.  The equation is:
packet speed = 2 + s*0.5
Where s is the number of speed nodes that you have.

So if you build 4 speed nodes the packet speed will be double the initial speed of two.  Build 8 to triple it, 12 to quadruple it....

Or you can fill a map with speed nodes to explore the propagation limit (a packet must visit each node along the way, it can't skip a node).  So if you build enough speed nodes your packets will instantly hop from one node to the next along their path.

Aurzel

oooh i'll try that, since on one map i had 20+ speeds and the packets were zipping along the line quite fast, oh and one other question, speed increases how fast the packets move but not how fast they're produced so for example:
a blaster placed will take just as long to build between when the first packet gets there and when the last packet gets there even if there's none or 20 speeds right?

knucracker

Correct, speed only increases how fast the packets move, not how fast something will build once the first packet reaches the structure.

The reason I say "once the first packet has reached the structure" is because the total path length from the city to the structure being built affects how long it takes the stream of packets being produced to initially reach the structure.

Say a structure takes 10 packets to build and that each packet is requested by the structure once per second.  You would conclude it takes 10 seconds to build the structure.  It actually takes 10 seconds plus the time it takes for any packet to travel from the city to the structure.  This "lead in" cost is reduced by building speed nodes and can be critical when you are bombarding a hill and you have only a few seconds to get a structure built as a beach head.

The same logic follows for ammo resupply.  Very distant units can starve for ammo unless you build speed nodes.

Another interesting experiment is to build an intentionally serpentine path (snake the thing around all over the place).  The lead-in time to build things at the end of the path can exceed the actual build time for the structure.  In this case you will see all of the construction packets for the structure on the network at the same time.... merrily wandering their way through your path towards the structure at the end.  The effect of building speed nodes becomes immediately apparent in this situation. 

Aurzel

yep, i also tested what you said about many speeds, dunno how many i had i just kept pressing the button over and over till i had tons and the packets literally danced two spots per node, saw it once on the node and once on the line halfway between that one and the next, it actually makes the build time seem longer because you're thinking, its going so fast yet it still builds so slow heh

wiskerando

Quote from: virgilw on November 24, 2009, 08:07:14 PM

Or you can fill a map with speed nodes to explore the propagation limit (a packet must visit each node along the way, it can't skip a node).  So if you build enough speed nodes your packets will instantly hop from one node to the next along their path.

So these speed nodes only help if the energy packets actually pass through them?  You have to put them over the energy line between collectors?

Aurzel

no speed nodes help as long as they're connected to the network, doesnt matter where