Custom Map #1442: Castle Wars. By: Xorgye

Started by AutoPost, September 26, 2019, 06:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1442: Castle Wars

Author: Xorgye
Size: 256x144

Desc:
Claim your foothold and conquer the enemy castle! Omni Map, GoodMorning Mode game #BravoGoodMorning #ThanksToBuilder17 #ThanksToYum234

Xorgye

Sorry for missing some of the more 'default' things in this type of map:
-TiconDefenceRange
-Lines between the gate and the control
Don't know what happened, first time using these scripts. Coudn't get TiconDefenceRange workingm I think I missed some images.

Those things aside, what do you think of this map? I got it in 24 minutes.
It has a hard start, but after the third castle you get a steady flow going.

reddwarf12

I had a good time with the map - pretty relaxing. I didn't use the control gates at all (I guess because of missing lines), so just treated it as a regular map. I did it in like 34 minutes, but I'm a casual player rather than a speed player. Sometimes I check several times per day to see if there's a new map, and get excited if there is one. Thanks for making them!

yum-forum

Welcome to MapMaker's Club and Good lu!  :)
1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last

Xorgye

Quote from: reddwarf12 on September 26, 2019, 09:39:40 PM
I had a good time with the map - pretty relaxing. I didn't use the control gates at all (I guess because of missing lines), so just treated it as a regular map.

Yeah this map started as a regular map. Added the gates in for extra attack vectors, and because I like the gate mechanics.

Playing every map counts for me as non-casual ;-) But was it too easy? Or is this pace a good one?

Xorgye

Quote from: yum-forum on September 27, 2019, 03:42:15 AM
Welcome to MapMaker's Club and Good lu!  :)

And thank you on your help to get the templating working and thus being able to use bridges and flip mire!

FOXX

Quote from: Xorgye on September 26, 2019, 06:51:08 PM
Coudn't get TiconDefenceRange working I think I missed some images.

Hi Xorgye,

i didn't play the map yet but here is the TiconDefenceRange script from Stickman and the image i always use in my maps.
If you have the image loaded into the right image slot and added te script to a prprlcore you can change the range settings (if needed - default is 40) and you can change the color of the ring via the Red Green Blue settings. If done click apply and then copy the core over the TiconDefenseGun with the "C" key and it should work.

About the Lines not working between bridges and controllers - euh, no idea. Do you use the latest version of the system? i recall the early version have no lines.

Greets
FOXX
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!
Including  CUSTOM MODULE MAPS & SHIPS

Xorgye

Quote from: FOXX on September 27, 2019, 05:02:23 AM
...here is the TiconDefenceRange script from Stickman and the image i always use in my maps....

About the Lines not working between bridges and controllers - euh, no idea. Do you use the latest version of the system? i recall the early version have no lines.

On the Ticon script: I didn't use a template map. I imported the exchange map into the editor folder and then extracted the scripts. But that way, you don't get the images. I couldn't find the original images, so I got stuck there. Next time I will use a exchange map as a template instead of importing the scripts, much more easy.

And the bridge-controller lines were there in the exchange map where I got the scripts from. But when using it on my own map, they just didn't show. But same here: next time I use a exchange map as a template instead of importing the scripts myself.

FOXX

Quote from: Xorgye on September 27, 2019, 10:30:43 AM
On the Ticon script: I didn't use a template map. I imported the exchange map into the editor folder and then extracted the scripts. But that way, you don't get the images. I couldn't find the original images, so I got stuck there. Next time I will use a exchange map as a template instead of importing the scripts, much more easy.

And the bridge-controller lines were there in the exchange map where I got the scripts from. But when using it on my own map, they just didn't show. But same here: next time I use a exchange map as a template instead of importing the scripts myself.
Yeah, that way you also have the images needed.
Have fun.
Greets
FOXX

ps -> if you are going to work with templates this mod can be very handy  https://gitlab.com/KubeRoot/PFMapSize

The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!
Including  CUSTOM MODULE MAPS & SHIPS

CyberDyneSystems

Loved it. It was not too easy, it was very well balanced I thought. Once you get going, you are going to win, but still need some strategy.

I did use the gates, and frankly did not notice that they were "different" until I was reading here.
I like the concept a lot. Sure, you can call it "good morning mode" but the organic nature of the terrain vs. the grids most use made it seem very different.

Bravo!

svartmes

Great map! Very nice balancing, layout and pacing. I very much enjoy these more "basic" (as in no custom units) style yum/gm maps and would love to see more. I really liked the organic feel of the "islands", made it feel fresh and oldscool at the same time :)
Only thing I dont like is the "collect all to finish" (when map is won and over it's just tidious to hunt pickups, please uncheck this) but still,
10 out of 10 from me!

Xorgye

Well, thank you!
I'm currently working on a successor so stay tuned for more ;-)

Quote from: svartmes on September 30, 2019, 09:39:32 AM
Only thing I dont like is the "collect all to finish" (when map is won and over it's just tidious to hunt pickups, please uncheck this)
Yeah, don't like it neither. I have some story connected to them so that's why I enabled it.
I'm going to disable it, I want to have only things in my maps that I like myself and this isn't on that list :P Thanks for noticing ;-)

Quote from: svartmes on September 30, 2019, 09:39:32 AMI very much enjoy these more "basic" (as in no custom units) style yum/gm maps and would love to see more. I really liked the organic feel of the "islands", made it feel fresh and oldscool at the same time :)
Quote from: CyberDyneSystems on September 29, 2019, 05:26:04 PM
I like the concept a lot. Sure, you can call it "good morning mode" but the organic nature of the terrain vs. the grids most use made it seem very different.
A lot of the map is on purpose.
1) Fun. I play games for fun, so I want them to be fun. Maybe needing some cleverness, but I don't want it to be hard for the sake of being hard.
2) The map consists of phases. So not only do you receive a reward when you win the map, but you gain worthy rewards on the way.
3) Guns. A lot of bullets flying in all directions is fun. The towers are buffed to drain less energy so you can actually use them early on. The emergent is for that purpose only: towers constantly shooting on them :D So that's why there is a lot of emergent but they have not that much health.
4) Different tactics. I love it when you can disable a tower by removing its energy source or by miring their ground profile. I like to have early game aggressive moves that leave you vulnerable but are just fun to pull off.
5) Life surroundings. It is hard to make maps come to live in a game like this, but I can trick your brain. Things have a purpose in life, as a human you thus seek purpose in all you see. I try to make the maps look more appealing by having a little 'landscape story' for each part of the map.

I hope to inspire others to do the same with their maps... so I have more fun maps to play in Particle Fleet :P

By the way, the last map (Where doppels fear to tread) from Aardvark123 is visually like the kind of map I like. I found it to be fun just watching that map and imagining what happened.

svartmes

Btw, while making my latest map I was looking at yours and realised that the Control lines are missing because you have no image in Custom0pp (first slot in 64x64pp).  Just add the Square graphics there and it works :)

Xorgye

Wow, didn't know the fix was that easy. Thanks!

Too bad I can't go back and change the map...