Main Menu

Terraforming

Started by bobandirus, March 12, 2010, 02:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobandirus

As the creeper is modeled as heat, so what (I imagine) is happening, is that areas are getting warmed up. The creeper wants to get the area to the highest temperature, and this corresponds to the depth of creeper. Im imagining the 'hight under mouse' bit as effectively a temperature graph.
Therefore the lower the hight of the area, the more its got to be warmed up (to an extent). Also, the blasters and mortars cool down the area.
My idea is this, that you can set a blaster or a mortar to fire into an area without creeper, and this hight of the area decreases. This hence means that you have a larger area to pool creeper into. This would also make sense, in the thought that the mortar is a bomb, so would just blast away at the land.
Not sure how useful it would be, and how intensive it would be though. Possibly useful on bigger maps, or as a way to get an otherwise hard to reach emitter (due to terrain, for example) less of a threat to you.
I know my spelling is shaky, have fun! Shake along with it :P

Twi

Hate to say it, but something very similar to this was already brought up.

It even had the same topic title.

http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=294.0
Currently watching: ARIA, Dog Days, and other unlikely things.
And some likely things, too!

SPIFFEN

If i understand correctly ,
wouldnt decreaseing the terrain by an shot form an tower destroy the layout for most of the maps made .
This might would make maps unbeatabel until you level the terrain by towers .

But :
If an fully armed Mortar could destroy 1x1 terrain lvl by 1 lvl with all the firepower , it would be nice .
And ,
If and fully armed Blaster could destroy 1x1 wall pice with all the firepower .

But then it has to be selected to do so every time ,
and need to be fully armed .
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

mothwentbad

The general idea is the same, but the specifics sound a little different from what I said. It might be nice for CW2. The game would totally play differently if this were added, and it might take some work to program it.

bobandirus

Quote from: Twi on March 12, 2010, 04:33:15 PM
Hate to say it, but something very similar to this was already brought up.

It even had the same topic title.

http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=294.0

Sorry, been away for a while, and didnt spot that. Didnt bother to search was my fault, sorry again. Although your idea is a little different I think.
I know my spelling is shaky, have fun! Shake along with it :P

UpperKEES

First of all, the creeper is modelled as (the movement of) heat. This doesn't mean it is heat, or that weapons are cooling down the area (although it's not bad to think like this modelling wise; it is better than thinking of it like a fluid).

However terraforming could be implemented anyway. I'm just afraid that carefully designed and challenging maps will be reduced to a crappy map by one or two shots of a terraforming weapon. Or the other way around: maps might become impossible to solve.

If such a thing is implemented, I would use a device that can be locked onto one specific square on the map. It would also be a completely new playing mode (with all consequences).
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

mothwentbad

As I mentioned elsewhere, terraforming could make for a drastically different game on a map where you have no weapons that can destroy creep. You could also make the gates take longer to open, or something.

It might be pretty tricky to design and play properly-balanced maps. One option might be to include terraforming along with conventional weapons, but to make terraforming expensive or only available in a fixed amount, like a power-up.