Two users on same computer

Started by Karsten75, January 16, 2010, 01:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karsten75

I think I saw somewhere that it was OK to install CreeperWorld on more than one computer in the same household? If not, please let me know and I'll buy another license - it is well worth the $10.

Anyway, I had CW on my laptop, but I thought I'd like to try it on a better computer, our family computer.  So I installed it there. Before I could play it, my daughter started playing it. I helped her through the install, enter keycode, install patch process.

Now when I try to play it on my userid, I get the warning that I must first register it at the .314 level before upgrading it to the .346  level. I don't think this patching idea has been thought through well for new installations or for multi-user computers.

Kamron3

Don't see why not? It's just pretty easy to just use the same key a billion times and no one cares. You bought the key, you can distribute it (legally) whatever way you want.

_k

Karsten75

Quote from: Kamron3 on January 16, 2010, 02:00:07 PM
Don't see why not? It's just pretty easy to just use the same key a billion times and no one cares. You bought the key, you can distribute it (legally) whatever way you want.

_k

Not sure what you are answering, but here's the issue. I installed the full .314 on one userid. Entered the key and unlocked the game. Then I installed the patch. Now if I want to play it on another userid on the *same* computer, I have to uninstall it again, install the .314 file, enter the key, then install the patch.  Now is it going to work on the first userid or will it ask me to unlock the first userid again?

If so, I have to decide up front how many userids on the same computer wants to play the game, then unlock all of them before I install the patch.

Kamron3

Not sure, I don't use multiple Users on my computer, but you should just be able to log into a new User, install the game and patch it there.

Or if you are talking about using the same game on a different profile copy your CreeperWorld folder in C:\Program Files\Knuckle Cracker and then you have two different accounts. delete the data if you want to start again.

_k

knucracker

The easiest thing to do is just install the game, enter the key, then patch the game.  You can do this for each user.  Whenever you run the game and enter the key, it creates the key information in the creeperworld applicationdata directory (which is user specific).  You can also copy this directory from one user to another if you want to go about it manually.

Note that installing an old version of CW, patching, even uninstalling the game does not delete or mess up your save game progress, custom maps, etc.  They stay put.

As for multiple use, and keys, etc. 
Naturally, buying a personal copy doesn't give you distribution rights to everybody in the world... but this almost goes without saying.
That said, I don't intend for people to have to buy a separate license for each user in their household or for each computer in their house....  A bunch of game companies DRM you to death and activate the game and only let you install so many times and other crazy stuff.  I intend that you can install the game on the computers you own in your home for use by members of your home.  Basic common sense in other words.

Karsten75

Quote from: virgilw on January 16, 2010, 03:57:44 PM
The easiest thing to do is just install the game, enter the key, then patch the game.  You can do this for each user.  Whenever you run the game and enter the key, it creates the key information in the creeperworld applicationdata directory (which is user specific).  You can also copy this directory from one user to another if you want to go about it manually.

So what I have to do is as follows:

. Install the game
. Log in to each user that wants to play the game, start the game, enter  the key code.
. install the patch.

or

. install the game
. start the game and enter the key code
. upgrade the game

and then if another user wants to play the game, find the creeperworld applicationdata directory and copy that to the other user's directory? and that will not copy the played games and saved data from user to the other, but just the key code?

or

Every time a new user wants to play the game I have to uninstall the game, install the game again, enter the key code, install the patch?  This almost sounds the easiest. Except my sister's account is not admin, so she cannot install stuff, so I may have to find a workaround.

Note that installing an old version of CW, patching, even uninstalling the game does not delete or mess up your save game progress, custom maps, etc.  They stay put.

As for multiple use, and keys, etc. 
Naturally, buying a personal copy doesn't give you distribution rights to everybody in the world... but this almost goes without saying.
That said, I don't intend for people to have to buy a separate license for each user in their household or for each computer in their house....  A bunch of game companies DRM you to death and activate the game and only let you install so many times and other crazy stuff.  I intend that you can install the game on the computers you own in your home for use by members of your home.  Basic common sense in other words.

Yea thanks, I had no intention of distributing the key code to anyone else, it was just for installing on another computer in our house, which I thought you said somewhere was OK to do.

knucracker

In the creeperworld applicationdata directory is gameData.dat.  This is the file that has your progress, scores, etc.  If you don't copy that (but do copy everything else), then you won't get the other person's scores and progress.  The file keyData.dat contains your key, gameState.dat contains the last saved screen location and windows size, and the customGames directory contains all of your imported custom maps.