Custom Map #35: Wrong side. By: Sorrontis

Started by AutoPost, September 17, 2016, 04:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #35: Wrong side

Author: Sorrontis
Size: 256x144

Desc:
Break through the walls of death, make your way to survival.

harrymcb

Sorrontis

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

harrymcb

That custom ship must be strong to even get to one energy mine. I can't wait to try it

jaworeq

God damn it man! We landed on the wrong side!

chwooly

I was playing this map today and wanted to move the Embargo with a lathe inside, However even using "m" didn't get them to move together. Is there any way around this?
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

Cavemaniac

Quote from: chwooly on September 19, 2016, 11:30:44 PM
I was playing this map today and wanted to move the Embargo with a lathe inside, However even using "m" didn't get them to move together. Is there any way around this?

Select them both, them use 'e' to make them move (actually slide) and maintain their exact orientation.

Pays to have them facing the way you want before you do this - this is best for shuffling forward or back a bit rather than big moves.
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Sorrontis

they don't move at the same speed, which is the problem. I don't know if there's a way to make them slow down, except by micro managing with the pause and "n" key
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Sorrontis

I see my reputation from CW3 continues here. Low plays # and low score  8)

Karsten75

Quote from: Sorrontis on September 20, 2016, 12:53:25 AM
they don't move at the same speed, which is the problem. I don't know if there's a way to make them slow down, except by micro managing with the pause and "n" key

I've been asking for Virgil to make a formation of ships fly at the speed of the slowest unit in the fleet. Maybe, hopefully it won't be a game-changer that he can't implement post-release. Can't be too hard to set maximum speed to the lowest of all selected units. I hope.

JAFLOC

Sorrontis

I had assumed that it was going to be something that'll come in the future. Nice, but not particularly a game breaking thing.

JAFLOC?

Xalos

Quote from: Karsten75 on September 20, 2016, 01:06:04 AMI've been asking for Virgil to make a formation of ships fly at the speed of the slowest unit in the fleet. Maybe, hopefully it won't be a game-changer that he can't implement post-release. Can't be too hard to set maximum speed to the lowest of all selected units. I hope.

I should hope that's an optional thing, or at the very least is only used when the formation move key is used.  But what do I know, I haven't played the game yet! ;)

chwooly

Quote from: Cavemaniac on September 20, 2016, 12:35:36 AM
Quote from: chwooly on September 19, 2016, 11:30:44 PM

Select them both, them use 'e' to make them move (actually slide) and maintain their exact orientation.

Pays to have them facing the way you want before you do this - this is best for shuffling forward or back a bit rather than big moves.

Forgot about the "e"

Too many options
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

chwooly

Quote from: Sorrontis on September 20, 2016, 12:56:48 AM

That is because you design maps for elite players and not for average players. You might argue that they are average but your plays and scores contradict that.

This is a trend that I saw in CW3 with you and other map makers and seems it will be repeated here.

When Virgil mentioned that you don't have to use the default fleet as given by the map designer to play, people already wanted to know how to restrict that.

This trend in the long run is unfortunate because it most likely will lower the games popularity due to players rage quitting and not recommending it to their friends. There is a reason most games have difficulty selection.

Unfortunately I don't have an answer for how to work around this or even know if I am right. What I do know is that so far I am much more a fan of the game play in the CW series than I am of PF.
― Robert A. Heinlein

Sorrontis

Quote from: chwooly on September 21, 2016, 04:24:19 PM
Spoiler
Quote from: Sorrontis on September 20, 2016, 12:56:48 AM
[close]

That is because you design maps for elite players and not for average players. You might argue that they are average but your plays and scores contradict that.

This is a trend that I saw in CW3 with you and other map makers and seems it will be repeated here. Really?

When Virgil mentioned that you don't have to use the default fleet as given by the map designer to play, people already wanted to know how to restrict that. I'm happy players aren't restricted. It'll make the game even more interesting. As long as the times are keep separate for custom/default.

This trend in the long run is unfortunate because it most likely will lower the games popularity due to players rage quitting and not recommending it to their friends. There is a reason most games have difficulty selection.

Spoiler
Unfortunately I don't have an answer for how to work around this or even know if I am right. What I do know is that so far I am much more a fan of the game play in the CW series than I am of PF.
[close]

I was being happy-sarcastic :D

However, good analysis.
A difficulty scale would be great. I don't know how Virgil would implement it though.

This is a trend that I saw in CW3 with you and other map makers and seems it will be repeated here. Really?

When Virgil mentioned that you don't have to use the default fleet as given by the map designer to play, people already wanted to know how to restrict that. I'm happy players aren't restricted. It'll make the game even more interesting. As long as the times are keep separate for custom/default.