Map Editor suggestions

Started by florrat, August 21, 2011, 07:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

florrat

I thought: Let's make a topic for all map editor suggestions.

To start:

1) I think a good option for fields should be that when moving, it will never pick up creeper (so it only picks up creeper when stationary). This is different than drip mode, since if I first move my field (with creeper) through solid ground, and then through creeper, it will still pick up creeper from that pool.
This might be useful in much cases. For example when making stalactites with dripping creeper. Your field should keep on moving below ground (because the player can dig away that ground, and then the field stops in the middle of the air). But if it then first reaches ground, and then creeper, you see the effects of the drop in that pool, which is not very neat (I noted that this happened in the map "Migration").

2) I want to be able to move fields to negative coordinates (so x<0 or y<0). This might be useful to make sure a field is fully out of the map (and thus that it does not carry creeper anymore). It is also possible to move fields outside of the map to the bottom or the right...

Ebon Heart

My biggest wants for the editor are permanently dark cells, and trigger fields.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

florrat

Quote from: Ebon Heart on August 21, 2011, 07:29:20 PM
My biggest wants for the editor are permanently dark cells, and trigger fields.
With permanently dark cells you mean cells which can't be lit up by beacons? And by trigger fields you means fields which do *something* (move or switch on/off) when *something* (unit moves somewhere, creeper density at (x,y) reaches <value>) happens?

cclloyd9785

If thats what trigger field means then yes I wanted that a lot too. 

Ebon Heart

Trigger field meaning something along the lines of an action in the field loop to say, check for X. If X is true/false, move to action set A/loop back to beginning/goto action Y and have different lists of actions, maybe main, and a, b, and c, which can be started by triggers.

TonyP2000

I also would like to see trigger fields.
Vote Tony!

Ebon Heart

Another of my big suggestions would be timed conversations IE: messages that appear in the editor at set times, and perhaps even timed mission completion, so you have to survive for X amount of time before you complete the mission and can rift out.

Ranakastrasz

I would like to be able to make units Invulnerable (also cannot be scrapped) and Immobile as an option for pre-built units. I would also like to be able to modify unit stats, if only for certain units. to allow for certain scenarios. (Immobile invulnerable maker producing a crap-load of anti-creeper functioning as a *shield generator* with fields to setup the anti-creeper as the shield, If it could be destroyed or moved, it would not function right, although stacking a crap-load of makers WOULD work aside from that. being able to make it use energy as well would be useful, in addition/instead of ore) I understand the issue with people imbalanceing the game, but It would allow for interesting scenarios for the other people who use it correctly.

Actually, I wonder if it would be possible to make *fractal alloy* pre-placed units, which require a network connection to function (meaning can receive packets, even if it doesn't use them, like a maker or reactor) in addition to their usual requirements, and may/may not be moved. They would be able to be more powerful than the normal version, so you could have *blaster turrets* somewhere deep under-creeper, (undamaged ofc) which if you could clear the area, it would tend to keep itself clear as well, for very little energy cost. Also, A maker in the same state as a shield generator, using ore to efficiently create a massive amount of anti-creeper for a shield dome, or a Multi-directional/remote repulsor (I wonder if this would be possible if you allowed several directions for a repulsor, using more energy ofc)

How about an option to have fields be active/inactive depending on certain objects, (I think I suggested this before) being either alive or powered, (destroy this gateway (or a new object) to disable the enemies' force pipes, which are constantly streaming creeper up against your force-field, or activate a totem (another new unit) to activate fields that block off a choke-point, but only if you hold it, and power it.

Grabarz

My suggestion is that we could paint fields on the terrain without having to delete it first. It's quite annoying to have to delete a lot of terrain to make creeper tunnels.
But since nobody really posted about it i think it was intentional on purpose...

Fisherck

Quote from: Grabarz on August 22, 2011, 09:15:18 PM
My suggestion is that we could paint fields on the terrain without having to delete it first. It's quite annoying to have to delete a lot of terrain to make creeper tunnels.
But since nobody really posted about it i think it was intentional on purpose...
On the top of the editor, there is a render ground button. If you unselect it, the ground will "disappear", and you can paint fields that way. And when you reselect it, the ground will come back the way it was. The only downside with this is that you can't see what tiles you are painting over...
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

Fisherck

Another suggestion is ground that breaks under pressure, instead of just the creeper touching it. That would make some more interesting map types. But showing a new type of ground would be hard. And it would make custom tiles that much harder. But it is a neat idea. ;)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

Grabarz

Quote from: Ebon Heart on August 22, 2011, 07:27:07 AM
Another of my big suggestions would be timed conversations IE: messages that appear in the editor at set times, and perhaps even timed mission completion, so you have to survive for X amount of time before you complete the mission and can rift out.
I second the idea for timed messages. It would be awesome for custom maps with timed stuff going on, like emitters starting or other things, to continue along with the story line.

Ebon Heart

Exactly, I focus on the plot heavily in my maps (mores now than before, even) and I can't rely on the player grabbing. Holocube at the exact moment I want them to. So for timed messages, you can comment on things such as, "oh my go, a big blob of creeper just spawned over our heads!" lol.

Ranakastrasz

Quote from: Ebon Heart on August 24, 2011, 03:43:46 PM
Exactly, I focus on the plot heavily in my maps (mores now than before, even) and I can't rely on the player grabbing. Holocube at the exact moment I want them to. So for timed messages, you can comment on things such as, "oh my go, a big blob of creeper just spawned over our heads!" lol.

With conditional messages, I imagine you could actually then determine what strategy is actually used, and make comments depending on it.

Lord_Farin

Quote from: Ranakastrasz on August 24, 2011, 03:51:03 PM
Quote from: Ebon Heart on August 24, 2011, 03:43:46 PM

With conditional messages, I imagine you could actually then determine what strategy is actually used, and make comments depending on it.
When conditional messages are not beyond your desire, why not load Virgil up with a request for a (simple) CW2 custom scripting language doing all these things?! Although awesome, the sheer imagined difficulty of this does withdraw me from actually requesting this...
Behold, Nexus! Looketh skywards, for thy obliteration thence nighs, my foul enemy!