Smarter Launchers

Started by sayaks, June 16, 2011, 12:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CobraKill

Packets already do that. the'll turn around if there path get blocked bu if that's the only way it will just keep going
Never trust a computer that doesn't fit through your nearest window.

Kithros

Constantly having these things repath would be convenient, but ultimately making them calculate their path constantly would become too much of a performance issue I imagine. That said, having missiles repath after they already have a target would have lots of silly side effects, because they would very often end up just flying back and forth without hitting anything because of slight changes in creeper density.

Ranakastrasz

I was actually being sarcastic about those other suggestions, but I probably should have menioned that I knew about the performance issues. I guess that is what happens when you post when you should be sleeping.

CobraKill

Yeah you're right kithros. But Virgil has worked wonders before and I think he can again ;)

ontheworld

Quote from: The Commander on June 18, 2011, 12:45:49 PM
Yeah you're right kithros. But Virgil has worked wonders before and I think he can again ;)

He can't go and change the core of adobe AIR... Wich would be necessary in order to let constant checking be managable. That, and what would they do if every path was blocked? hang still?

CobraKill

who knows? I thin I'm going insane

ontheworld

You are indeed going insane

CobraKill

iddqd

It simple to implement.
For each cell store "incoming damage".
For next target search max(density - "incoming damage")

CobraKill

Quote from: iddqd on July 06, 2011, 07:46:36 AM
It simple to implement.

Well having them repath would be laggy as hell. Having 20+ Weapons already lags alot.

Kithros

It simple to implement.

Except that creeper moves during this time as well, and if you try factoring that into the calculations it will start to get absurdly complicated.

Personally I would like the ability to manually target where launchers will fire (as an option, not by default), and that launcher won't target anywhere else until you tell it to do something else. This could be useful for this situation as well as many more subtle situations where you are using a launcher more defensively (can apply when dealing with very high densities of creeper)

Ranakastrasz

Quote from: Kithros on July 06, 2011, 09:46:02 AM
It simple to implement.

Except that creeper moves during this time as well, and if you try factoring that into the calculations it will start to get absurdly complicated.

Personally I would like the ability to manually target where launchers will fire (as an option, not by default), and that launcher won't target anywhere else until you tell it to do something else. This could be useful for this situation as well as many more subtle situations where you are using a launcher more defensively (can apply when dealing with very high densities of creeper)

This is how my suggestion works, It sidesteps the whole problem of the creeper moving around by making the launchers spread their fire out around the dense creeper, with less overkill.

CobraKill

Good Idea Kithros!

iddqd

Quote from: Wolf Shadow on July 06, 2011, 08:58:40 AM
Well having them repath would be laggy as hell. Having 20+ Weapons already lags alot.
Not need to "repath".

Except that creeper moves during this time as well,
Why this is problem?

and if you try factoring that into the calculations it will start to get absurdly complicated.
It's very simple.
All you need is increase "incoming damage" when rocket launched. And decrease when rocket hit the target.
In current version search is max(density). I don't think max(density - "incoming damage") will affect performance.

Kithros

Quote from: iddqd on July 06, 2011, 10:38:32 AM
Quote from: Wolf Shadow on July 06, 2011, 08:58:40 AM
Not need to "repath".

Except that creeper moves during this time as well,
Why this is problem?

and if you try factoring that into the calculations it will start to get absurdly complicated.
It's very simple.
All you need is increase "incoming damage" when rocket launched. And decrease when rocket hit the target.
In current version search is max(density). I don't think max(density - "incoming damage") will affect performance.

If you start taking into account what the creeper density *will* be when the launcher hits the creeper, then you have to take into account that the creeper is moving during that time as well. If you clear out all the creeper with  the first missile, there will be creeper flooding back into that position during that time - in some instances, if not accounted for, the 2nd launcher might not fire at all when it still should be - this would make it extremely hard to hold back creeper from very high intensity emitters where you want the launchers to constantly be firing at the close creeper to reduce the need for blasters/repulsors. The calculations for how the creeper will move during this time will become excessively complicated to need to do every single time a launcher wants to fire a missile.