CW3 Linux Native Version

Started by knucracker, January 08, 2014, 08:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knucracker

I have posted a native linux build of CW3 here:  http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=14505.0
I have tested it under Debian 7.2 briefly.  If you have a linux system, give it a shot and let me hear back with your results.

lvdata

It seems  to work ok. I was able to copy my CW3 directory from my Win 7 x64 to Ubuntu 13.04 x86 and retained my status of having finished the main game.  I am running it on the same hardware, and performance wise it seems to be about the same. Anything in particular you would like tested? CRPL scripts? A system/planet that would be more of a torture test?

LvData-Ubuntu is my player ID for CS and DMD maps I play under the Linux version.  Just look at the bottom of the score lists, as my preferred play style is to both turtle and OCD it and make sure all my units are on a nice grid, organised and on flat smooth terrain.  Something I picked up from my SimCity days..... ::)

LvData

knucracker

That's awesome news to hear it worked for you and with good performance!
What kind of GPU do you have in your system?  Were the GPU drivers part of ubuntu or did you have to configure them by hand?

Now, additional things to test.  Please make sure you have any important work closed on your linux machine before testing.  If the game sticks in full screen or something I don't want you to lose any important work.
- Try full screen and various window sizes.  Try resizing the window by dragging the bottom right corner.
- Try to load a mission using the Load File functionality from the main menu.
- Try posting scores, loading CS, DMD, etc.  Anything that uses network functionality.
- Try remapping input controls in the settings.  (Also, make sure the scroll wheel is working for zooming by default).

These are the areas I'm most concerned with since I've seen spurious reports with Unity and Linux with other games from google results over the last couple years.

Grauniad

It's more in the "small detail" areas. Fonts, images, sounds. Stuff like that. Borders around stuff, all those little rendering details. Graphics quality.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

steelwing

Sweet! :)  I know what I'll be doing when I get home.

ponnuki

It worked fine for me (Debian testing, video card is reported by Xwindows as "Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000"). I tried all the things suggested and they all work, including mouse wheel (so it's already better than wine!), remapping keys, network, full screen. Minor problems: When full screen, scrolling up and down by moving the mouse towards the edge of the screen does not always work; scrolling side ways work fine. In the "load file" screen, I get the error message "Directory '/Volumes' not found".

It did not work on my work computer due to an out-of-date libc - for which my boss will probably be thankful.

nineinchnick

I'm on Arch Linux x86_64. I had the 1.10 version running under Wine. Now I can run the game, but on the planets screen planets are not rendered. Sometimes I see the ship only. The  Return to Origin button doesn't work either.

Probably some libs are too new, Arch is quite a bleeding edge distro.

I tried it with vainlla settings and after copying mission files from wine dirs. BTW it's not using xdg dirs? It creates a Documents directory in my home dir and did not use my localized version.

I just checked out the Player.log in unity3d's dir and found this exception:

FormatException: Unknown char: .
 at System.Double.Parse (System.String s, NumberStyles style, IFormatProvider provider) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
 at System.Single.Parse (System.String s) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
 at XMLHelper.ReadFloatNode (System.Xml.XmlNode doc, System.String name) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
 at InputManager.Read () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
 at MainMenu.Awake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename:  Line: -1)

I'm on pl_PL locale where a comma is used as a decimal separator. I can't find any dots in double values in config files though.

Got it working when running with C locale.

steelwing

Quote from: virgilw on January 09, 2014, 08:33:10 AM
What kind of GPU do you have in your system?  Were the GPU drivers part of ubuntu or did you have to configure them by hand?

Now, additional things to test.  Please make sure you have any important work closed on your linux machine before testing.  If the game sticks in full screen or something I don't want you to lose any important work.
- Try full screen and various window sizes.  Try resizing the window by dragging the bottom right corner.
- Try posting scores, loading CS, DMD, etc.  Anything that uses network functionality.
- Try remapping input controls in the settings.  (Also, make sure the scroll wheel is working for zooming by default).
Slackware x86_64 on kernel 3.12.6, ATI Radeon HD 4350 using the radeon (xf86-video-ati) open source driver.  3D graphics library is Mesa 9.2.5.
Full screen and window versions work fine.
Campaign missions work fine (based on playing and posting from the first two).  Check my scores, posted under the name Steelwing.
I'm starting from scratch in this install, so I don't have access to DMD or Colonial Space yet.  I'll report on those once I've checked them out.
Key changes work, as does zooming by scroll wheel.
In order to exit, I had to click the Exit Game button twice.

knucracker

Quote from: nineinchnick on January 09, 2014, 05:33:13 PM
I'm on Arch Linux x86_64. I had the 1.10 version running under Wine. Now I can run the game, but on the planets screen planets are not rendered. Sometimes I see the ship only. The  Return to Origin button doesn't work either.

Probably some libs are too new, Arch is quite a bleeding edge distro.

I tried it with vainlla settings and after copying mission files from wine dirs. BTW it's not using xdg dirs? It creates a Documents directory in my home dir and did not use my localized version.

I just checked out the Player.log in unity3d's dir and found this exception:

FormatException: Unknown char: .
 at System.Double.Parse (System.String s, NumberStyles style, IFormatProvider provider) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
 at System.Single.Parse (System.String s) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
 at XMLHelper.ReadFloatNode (System.Xml.XmlNode doc, System.String name) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
 at InputManager.Read () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
 at MainMenu.Awake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename:  Line: -1)

I'm on pl_PL locale where a comma is used as a decimal separator. I can't find any dots in double values in config files though.

Got it working when running with C locale.

Send me your InputManager.xml file.... and if you don't mind tell me where you find it on your system :)  This file gets created when you modify you key settings.  On windows it lives here:
c:\Users\virgilw\AppData\Roaming\CreeperWorld3\InputManager.xml

knucracker

Quote from: steelwing on January 09, 2014, 05:48:35 PM
Quote from: virgilw on January 09, 2014, 08:33:10 AM

Slackware x86_64 on kernel 3.12.6, ATI Radeon HD 4350 using the radeon (xf86-video-ati) open source driver.  3D graphics library is Mesa 9.2.5.
Full screen and window versions work fine.
Campaign missions work fine (based on playing and posting from the first two).  Check my scores, posted under the name Steelwing.
I'm starting from scratch in this install, so I don't have access to DMD or Colonial Space yet.  I'll report on those once I've checked them out.
Key changes work, as does zooming by scroll wheel.
In order to exit, I had to click the Exit Game button twice.

Try clicking the exit game button (on the main menu), then waiting a bit (like 30 seconds).  See if the game is just taking a long time to exit or something like that.

nineinchnick

Here's my InputManager.xml but I think there are some more xml files in game assets and they're the problem. Maps also contain double values. Maybe just add a bash script for running that will set LANG=C before executing the binary. Something like:

#!/bin/bash
CWD=`dirname $0`
LANG=C $CWD/CW3.x86

The paths are:
$HOME/.config/CreeperWorld3 - xml files and key
$HOME/.config/unity3d/Knuckle\ Cracker\ LLC/Creeper\ World\ 3 - Player.log
$HOME/Documents/CreeperWorld3/ - mission saves

I just played two missions, one from Alpha and one from Prospector Zone, in window and in full screen and everything works fine. Oh, and I'm on Intel HD4000 with Mesa 10.0.

knucracker

The exception if from InputManager when it is trying to read the XML file.  It uses mono's XmlDocument to try to read and parse the xml doc, and that appears to be throwing an 'Unknown Char' exception on the dot that is in the first line of the InputManager.xml document:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>

If you copied this file over from windows installation, try deleting your InputManager.xml file and letting the game create it from scratch.  I'm curious if it will write it out with the dot in "1.0".

What do you mean by "maps also contain double values"?

jarbinks

Archlinux 64 bits here, I did a Alpha sector mission, it worked just fine with Bumblebee (for nvidia optimus), without it the CPU can't keep up, but that's fine.

Thanks a lot for this Linux version !

Michionlion

I'll be testing it as soon as I get my linux computer up, but in the meantime, will this version also work for SteamOS, or will that require something else?
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

knucracker

It should work on SteamOS.  That's basically just Debian, from my understanding.