CW3 Server Connection Failed

Helper · 222

Helper

on: October 13, 2021, 04:03:29 am
Anyone else having trouble connecting to the servers?
Starting about 1900 hours (U.S. Eastern) last night, my CW3 can't connect.
Screen shot below.
I can play previously downloaded games (CS and DMD), but cannot post finished games or download new ones.
Starting some seriously serious Jonesin'  for some CW3 action.

All other Internet connections work fine and CW4 comes up and functions normally.
Thanks,
H
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 04:52:51 am by Helper »

Karsten75

Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 10:44:42 am
The log file shows nothing out of the ordinary. That might simply be because knucracker omitted to log any relevant errors to the log file.

We get intermittent reports from various folks about issues accessing/downloading maps.  Since this is usually isolated to a single person we know that it is not a server outage.

What may cause this are glitches in the network matrix. There are numerous intermediaries, and at any time, one of them may go awry for a moment. usually this gets fixed after a while.

You may want to run some tests to determine if it is caused by routing errors on your computer, perhaps your router, perhaps in routing tables of your ISP (Wide Open West?)

Steps you can take:
   Internally, the game uses some URLs to retrieve data. You can enter the same URLs in a browser and see if you get a result.

the maps metadata page:   https://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld3/queryMaps.php?query=maplist
           This will return a zipped file of all the maps on the server.

specific map download page:  https://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld3/queryMaps.php?query=mapid&id=1
         Replace the id=1 with any map number to downlead that specific map.  Rename the file to the map number.cw3 if you wish to  then play the map in CW3.

You can also find an internet utility (or use the built-in Windows commands) to do a Ping and a TraceRoute command from your computer to knucklecracker.com to see if your ISP is routing  your requests correctly.

Sometimes these things gets resolved by restarting your computer, your Internet router and any other devices that make up your connection to the Internet. Sometimes (rarely)  you might have to involve your ISP help desk. It will help if you have done all the above when you do contact them.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 01:36:47 pm by Karsten75 »

'If you want to live a happy life, tie it to a goal, not to people or things.'

Albert Einstein
(1879-1955)

Helper

Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 02:31:08 pm
Thank you for posting.
Multiple tries at pinging have just started resolving 100% and tracert times out.

Both links you posted end up timing out.

Is there another way to access that zip file?
Having that stored locally would be a real bonus.

Karsten75

Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 04:07:00 pm
Thank you for posting.
Multiple tries at pinging have just started resolving 100% and tracert times out.

Both links you posted end up timing out.

If you use an Internet service such as 

https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ 

or

https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/

you should be able to talk to your ISP and have them look into why the site is down for you.

Is there another way to access that zip file?
Having that stored locally would be a real bonus.

The zip file with all the metadata?  Not sure what "access" means in that context. You can download it, open it and see if there is something you want.

The other file is a .cw3 save file, as long as the .cw3 extension is present, the game will open it.

But I'm not sure I'm understanding your request, so I may be not answering the question.

Edit: On second thoughts. How come you're able to post here? the URL for this site is resolving the same as the URL for accessing/downloading maps.  If one fails in your browser, the other should fail as well.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 04:18:03 pm by Karsten75 »

Albert Einstein
(1879-1955)

Karsten75

Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 04:22:29 pm
Also, see if you can download this

Albert Einstein
(1879-1955)

Helper

Reply #5 on: October 13, 2021, 06:12:18 pm
Also, see if you can download this

Yes, it downloaded.
Is that game number 9709?
What folder should it be sitting in? (Windows 10).

BREAK -

I just reopened CW3 and can now see all (or at least hundreds) of maps.
I will try to play and save one of the ones that got hung up last night and this morning.
Update soonest.
Thanks,
H

Helper

Reply #6 on: October 13, 2021, 06:22:31 pm
Some kind of computer magic must have happened (FM).
I can see, play, and save in both CS and DMD.

I did install the October GeForce driver, but can't imagine that affected packet traffic - but who knows?

Thanks again for the suggestions.
H