Custom Map #1699: [Boss] Flash Fire 2 ReMaster. By: Jamzs3-AU

Started by AutoPost, June 05, 2021, 06:06:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1699: [Boss] Flash Fire 2 ReMaster

Author: Jamzs3-AU
Size: 256x160

Ranger Von Danger

This map would have been better without the flying enemies. The challenge could come from having tougher vanilla enemies. In my opinion, the custom units that fly directly at you the entire time you're playing really take away from an otherwise pretty awesome map. But maybe I'm just not hardcore enough lol

Squornshellous Beta

Quote from: Ranger Von Danger on June 05, 2021, 07:28:56 AM
This map would have been better without the flying enemies. The challenge could come from having tougher vanilla enemies. In my opinion, the custom units that fly directly at you the entire time you're playing really take away from an otherwise pretty awesome map. But maybe I'm just not hardcore enough lol
Agreed. Not only do they completely block the player's view of what they're doing if they're firing even vaguely in the direction of the main ship, the sheer amount of them combined with how hard it is to beat through the creeper to destroy their spawners means there's little room for strategy to deal with them. Autodefense isn't fast enough to cope and in the time it takes for the player to switch to the sniper and back any progress they might have made on the creeper is lost, so all that can be done is to stand close enough to a ship that its snipers can provide backup and try and hammer away at the enemy through the mass of visual noise.

Durikkan

An interesting map, though it does have a few flaws in my opinion.  The end part is a little difficult to manage, because you can't even see what you're doing part of the time due to the high amount of flying enemies.  Also, you increasing the mortar minimum range really messes with the way I generally play, making it harder to aim the mortar. 
I'm known as Auri in cw4.

Karzon

Malignantmind

I legit don't know how you expect anyone to actually complete this map. The hold objective is the only reasonably accomplishable objective. But after that, the amount of creeper and enemies quickly balloons out of control and no amount of ERN'd units and high powered absorber is gonna stop that wave of death.

MAYBE if you took out the annoying moving units, it'd be possible. Maybe.

InwardChaos

Took two attempt to complete the mission, and the start is the most important part of the mission. I started with Mortar Area, auto-defense (a mistake), and the remaining points into weapons up.

To start, I prioritized destroying the east most enemy boats, before they became active, then moved west, taking out the North and South boats just before they became active. From there, I stayed on the bow of the southern friendly ship, and bombarded the south-west boat to take out the emitter and spawners there. Afterwards, I did the same on the north-west boat, trying to take out the emitter, before moving to the centre friendly boat to bombard the main enemy vessel.
The snipers on your ships are more than capable of handling the spawning enemies, and if you ever feel unsafe, just switch to your own sniper, which has massive fire rate, making double-fire and auto-defense completely pointless.

Eventually the bombardment took out the spawning structures, and I went on a suicide run to destroy the final emitter on the back. Once the Hold objective is achieved, the HP objective becomes disabled, so you don't have to worry about dying. I think I'd take AC breeder and auto-spray over auto-defense if I ran the map again, to make the reclaim cleanup afterwards not as much of a chore.

phischphood

I don't understand how I'm supposed to win this. The AI isn't building anything and I can't do damage to any of the units.

phischphood

Managed it eventually. Their structures should show health bars, they're much stronger than on other levels, so I had no idea I was doing any damage to them. I'm not a fan of the first 30 seconds defining the whole of the game.

I ended up rushing to destroy the emitters, running over creeper where necessary, then focussed on unit-generating structures on the main island. Once all the unit-generating structures were destroyed it was easy. I picked mortar area, auto defence, then auto-spray. AC breeder was completely useless when I tried to use it in my first few attempts, auto defence was key.

Caz

One of the worst maps I've ever attempted.  The flyer spam doesn't just  make this not fun, it's makes it downright stupid.

Dextorplays

This map was an honest challenge. Three restarts before I got the strat down.  Unlike other FPS maps, this one does not have any terrain that hooks the player.  Its just you against the horde.  Starting build for me was AC Breeder, Auto Defense, Auto Spray. Out of the gate I charge the back corner to mortar the Creep spawner, then around the clock going for only the creep spawners dodging flyers.  Then I head back to the boat for the long haul of holding the line while building up the AC Breeders.  Then start clearing the rest of the spawners from back to front as opportunity presents.

Nymus

At first I thought this was impossible, played it ~20 times, and while the hold objective wasn't very hard I wanted the rest.

Came back to it and got it in 10 minutes on my second try.

For anyone that wants to know how to do it:
Spoiler
I took autodefense, mortar area, and auto spray. When the map starts, [very] quickly some AC onto your platforms, with the aim of hitting the small patches of AC spawner. Then as fast as possible going forward and to the side of the map mortar the enemy creeper emitters on each island. Any of the flying spawners you also kill are a bonus, but you don't have much time before the entire area is flooded with creeper and you'll die. Don't bother sniping the flying enemies, you need to just kite them. Once you have all emitters down on the enemy side, fall back to your middle ship which has a bunch of ERN'd snipers and let them take out all the flyers. Then move to the back and take out the two islands behind you, emitters first.

At this point all the emitters should be dead, and the majority of the creeper is coming from the flying enemies. You can clear the two back islands pretty easily, although you need to make sure you aren't pulling the flyers into your more vulnerable ships while doing so, since they generate so much creeper.

Once you have all the emitters and rear islands down you can focus on mortaring the remaining exterior enemy islands. Target priority is obviously the flyer spawners, as they generate so much creeper when they spawn it makes it hard to hit anything. Since they're also moving toward you, you're better off aiming at an angle rather than straight forward (so they aren't flying in the path of your mortars moving your target location forward).

Once you get the flyer spawners on the outside down you're pretty much good, you just have to kill everything else, obviously you want to prioritize the flyers that take multiple sniper hits to kill.
[close]