Custom Map #7017: Creeper World meets Tower Defense. By: BilboGCL

Started by AutoPost, January 24, 2019, 10:03:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #7017: Creeper World meets Tower Defense

Author: BilboGCL
Size: 126x102

Desc:
This is a remake of a map of a great TD series game - GemCraft! Shoot down birds and hornets with snipers, drown wasps in AC, fight bugs with snipers and beams and don't forget the creeper itself! The game is over, when one enemy gets to the top left moon. Thanks to: Game in a Bottle for the texture of the path and the map layout. MapMaking Community (Cornucanis, Regallion & Grabz) for bug hunting and fixing.

Karsten75

Nice map. Great effort. One niggle that I personally find hugely annoying - if I have to keep shooting at things that explode with the same sound as my units make when they explode.

Of course, other than GemCraft, I have to start in the back. ANd I find it devilishly difficult to maintain supply lines to my Ore deposits.

BilboGCL

The sound... of course I forgot about it as I always play muted...
The ore line is not that difficult when you cut the digitalis: one, two cannons next to the emitters and a handful of strafer do the job.
I attach a screenshot after 11 minutes.

Greetings from The Shire!
Hey, come to the dark side Discord, we have cookies!

DoomDutch

I beat Bilbo's record by 5 min ;)
Once that constant stream of bugs comes, it's over. The only question then is how long further you could possibly hold out.

BilboGCL

stdout

Enjoyed this really unique game play! Thank you for taking the time to make it.

Helper

Not sure what's up with the scoring on this. I did a quit run through of just starting and watching (4:01 time). I've since played to 1:11 and 1:18, but the score hasn't improved.
This map kind of reminds me of a Heinlein book, but I misremember the title.

EDIT: More coffee is always the right answer. Clearly, "winning" the game in 4 minutes is a better score than over an hour. The 30+ players who apparently let the game run through to see how it player (and won in about 4 minutes), will not have a score that reflects how well they survived the onslaught.

BilboGCL

Hi!

Stdout: Thanks, you're welcome!

Helper: You can sort the leaderboard by score, you are right now on #9 with a score of 270639

DoomDutch

BilboGCL

And I guess, you will stay there for a while - your score is really good, you must have managed to kill some more bugs than anybody else :)

Greetings form The Shire!

Helper

Quote from: BilboGCL on January 25, 2019, 06:40:10 AM
Hi!
Helper: You can sort the leaderboard by score, you are right now on #9 with a score of 270639

Thank you. Excellent information - which I've never known in all these years on board.

Also, the Robert A. Heinlein book was "Starship Troopers". I read that back in junior high school. "Killing bugs."

Johnny Haywire

I know this is an older map, but I just did it and just in case ya might still be around and thinking of making another one I wanted to say Thanks! for making something different and cool! My first run, I realized I messed up and should've just restarted so it wouldn't record the score, but the second time was a little over 93 minutes, which oddly enough made the score in the top 10 (?). I say "oddly enough" because I didn't watch the game finish. Once you get through the first 20-30 minutes, it's pretty much the same easy stuff for I dunno how long (I walked away from the game at about 60 minutes and came back at about 90).

IMO, the game at 60 minutes was just taking too long. I didn't have a supply problem with my ore because I
Spoiler
landed a CN right next to the ore - that seemed pretty obvious to me but I dunno. I built defenses all around because... well why not, right?
[close]

I wouldn't mind a faster-developing version of this... perhaps a bit more on a multiplicative scale rather than linear. The difficulty up to 20 minutes was fine I think... Maybe have it become more difficult @ 25 minutes, then expert level @ 30 and then downright impossible @ 35. And then make it so the elite guys can't go more than 40.

All things considered, I thought this was a great map and the concept & execution is fantastic. Love your maps, dude!  ;D ;D
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?