More energy storage

Started by cclloyd9785, July 07, 2011, 08:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranakastrasz

Quote from: Wolf Shadow on July 10, 2011, 02:36:19 PM
Quote from: UpperKEES on July 10, 2011, 02:16:39 PM
(And again, what's the problem?)

I agree. WHAT is the problem?

The problem now appears to be that because highscores are already submitted, and noone is willing to wipe them to allow a fix to what really seems to be a defect in the game, so regardless of any solutions anyone comes up with, There is no possibility of a fix.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Ranakastrasz on July 10, 2011, 03:42:40 PM
The problem now appears to be that because highscores are already submitted, and noone is willing to wipe them to allow a fix to what really seems to be a defect in the game, so regardless of any solutions anyone comes up with, There is no possibility of a fix.

Man, you really know how to interpret things incorrectly, or are you just trolling? Please read this post again.

As for making changes (not fixes) to the game: no unnecessary changes (affecting the scores or not) will be made, especially because the game is great as it is, but if Virgil adds improvements he will certainly take the scores into account when making decisions.

As for fixing bugs: only things that are broken need to be fixed.

If you don't mind I step out of the discussion here, because it's no use repeating the same things over and over and I think the 'how' and 'why' are both clear now.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Grauniad

Quote from: Ranakastrasz on July 08, 2011, 12:15:38 AM
I think I would really prefer that energy upgrades are equivilent to ore upgrades in both the number and effect of upgrades, and obviously the energy distribution rate should be equal to demand if the energy is availabe.

Quote from: Ranakastrasz on July 10, 2011, 03:42:40 PM

Reading your first and last posts, I do not see what the issue is that you claim is "broken" and needs a fix.

In ancient pre-beta history, Karsten75 was probably responsible for some of this issue. The early versions of the game would use ore and gem resources before depleting any resources generated by reactors or rigs. He complained that this seemed illogical to tap a source that need not be depleted while the energy production from reactors would go to waste if there was no storage for them. That seemed to make sense and Virgil switched the algorithm to consume first from the generated resources and then from the resources that could be dug up. I hope this much is clear to all.

Then later, in beta, it became apparent that for those with huge farms of resource generators, it would never be possible to utilize the gem energy, since all energy needs for "normal" consumption could be met from the generated resources.  At this time Virgil introduced a clever little gimmick in the game. One could, if one had an inventory of resources, consume those resources at the rate of the stored resource (energy in this instance).

This brings an interesting wrinkle to game play. If one is careful in husbanding ones mined resources, the energy cap becomes less of a limitation and makes certain strategies possible - the best demonstration I've seen of this was Kithros's famous video showing how he did Day 20 in the story missions without using one single unit of stored energy - giving him the theoretical ability to use 2,000 energy/sec in a final assault.

If you see this as a defect that affects game play, I'd like to read a justification for what aspect of the game it breaks and why it should be changed.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Ranakastrasz

OK, I Suppose the main reason I do not like this method of implementation to fix the initial problem that had this (patch? fix? Change?) is because I have trouble keeping above a deficit. I think that it would be possible to manage this by either planning out how much power you will have and make sure you do not overbuild to such an extent that you deplete your crystal supply, however, that is a lot harder for me at least, than I wish it was. I think that because of the added permanent disadvantage of once you hit deficit you permanently lose packet production rate, rather than the temporary effect of everything slowing down. (unless you overbuild sufficiently that in some of the more difficult levels than you get wiped out.) I suppose I will have to just try harder to predict the future results of my actions.