Custom Map: Nice Job 4: The Plumber

Started by AutoPost, April 23, 2010, 07:58:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: Nice Job 4: The Plumber

Author: UpperKEES

Desc:
No tricks or luck required, just skill and persistence. Definitely the hardest map I've made (and will make). I hope you don't mind a few tries to pick up necessary items, find a good starting position and build up your initial economy. Your first attempt WILL fail. Tips on request (see comments).

UpperKEES

Title:
Nice Job 4: The Plumber
Difficulty:
Expert Only
Creeper type:
Land only
Remarks:
No tricks or luck required, just skill and persistence. Definitely the hardest map I've made (and will make). I hope you don't mind a few tries to pick up necessary items (sacrifice some collectors), find a good starting position and build up your initial economy. Your first attempt WILL fail. Tips on request (see comments).
Description:
Today you are a plumber and you have been called for a job:

- Check the tab above the sink.
- Check the shower.
- Check the gooseneck of the toilet.
- Check all drains to the sewer.
- Fix the two leaks in the sewer.
- Mop the mess with Cillit Bang lime power cleaner.

Unfortunately you were clumsy and dropped your tool box, so your equipment is all over the bathroom.
Download page:
Nice Job 4: The Plumber
Full size screen shot:
More maps:
Apply here for another job ;)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Vexsin

Flying around to several points to collect the things before even getting started is a neat concept. I still say the athlete was harder though.

I enjoyed this!

UpperKEES

Thanks! The Athlete was more 'tricky' though. I've stepped away from that, as many people seem to prefer playing straight forward instead of solving a puzzle.

I was just playing EFK-01 Ventil and already restarted 2 times after some nasty spores.... ;) Looking good, expect comments soon.

Sqaz

I must say I didn't found it expert only.

But don't trust me, some of my medium maps are expert only for some.

But it was fun, challenging, fun, a nice map and more fun.

Vexsin

Quote from: UpperKEES on April 23, 2010, 10:42:33 AM
I was just playing EFK-01 Ventil and already restarted 2 times after some nasty spores.... ;)

You think that's bad, wait til the Basin, #5. I manually entered many spore waves to make a pattern you need to memorize and shift all the SAM's around to stop them between waves, lol :)

Karsten75

Too hard for me. Clearly an "expert-only"  map as indicated.

UpperKEES

@ Sqaz:

Yeah, I seem to misjudge the difficulty rating of my own maps easily. Maps that I find very hard are considered normal, and maps that I consider medium only get 3 scores.... Maybe this is because I want to do my maps 'my way' (to obtain a high score).

Glad you had fun though!

@ Vexsin:

No, not that bad (although I expected less), but 3 spores got to the same SAM.... Let's continue in your topic when I finish it; I got busy, but have it still running. Regarding the pattern: I might 'cheat' and write it down from the map editor. :P

@ Karsten:

I'm happy at least someone finds it's a tough map! Future maps will be a little less tough (if I can still judge that, probably not).

Rothlander

I can't seem to get past the area by the blaster tech, once i get there, which is where i start, i cant expand out, but only hold the creeper back at a standstill..help please?

UpperKEES

Spoiler
After getting the blaster tech (and 1 upgrade if you like to sacrifice one more collector), I always move to the area between the sink and the bath tub.
[close]

pizza_steve

After skipping map 2 and 3 I gave this one a try, I lost quickly the first few tries, but then I tried what seemed to be a bad strategy.  I ignored everything and went for the Mortar Tech.  Stuck in the NW corner with nothing but Mortar's to defend me it was slow going.  It took a long time but eventually with I broke my way back to the blaster and away I went.

I can't imagine that's a normal way of finishing that map, but I guess whatever works ....

UpperKEES

Quote from: pizza_steve on May 25, 2010, 02:27:36 AM
After skipping map 2 and 3 I gave this one a try

Besides a common theme there's no story line in my maps, so you can play them in any order. If you still like to finish NJ2 & NJ3 some day, you might wanna have a look at the old comments and/or my custom map thread for some hints how to solve them.

I lost quickly the first few tries, but then I tried what seemed to be a bad strategy.  I ignored everything and went for the Mortar Tech.  Stuck in the NW corner with nothing but Mortar's to defend me it was slow going.  It took a long time but eventually with I broke my way back to the blaster and away I went.

Spoiler
Well, it's definitely the best spot to be after a couple of minutes, but with only mortars you must have had a hard time reaching the other techs. I use the first minute to pick up the blaster tech and 2 upgrades before I move to that north west corner, which will save you a lot of time and energy later on.
[close]

I can't imagine that's a normal way of finishing that map, but I guess whatever works ....

Yep, that's true. I love it when a map can be won by applying different strategies and people posting about their approach, so everybody can learn for each other. Thanks for playing! :)

DethbyIT

Fun stuff!
(And, I beat Anonymous...who should be renamed ubiquitous.)

UpperKEES

He sure is. He played 863 maps (only Laguna2008 has played more). Anonymous even played this map 39 times! :o

Colin

Okay, I know my time is sad, but I enjoyed every minute of it!  ;)

Great map KEES!  :D

now that I know what to do, I'll probably come back and replay it later.
To fight back the Creeper all you need is. . . What? Energy.
My maps CW1 are located here try out my MIS series.