Custom Map #8429: a-Maze. By: Heisenberg

Started by AutoPost, May 22, 2020, 11:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #8429: a-Maze

Author: Heisenberg
Size: 256x256

Desc:
The start of this map is pretty ruthless - however if you hang in there, you can slowly start to turn the corner. Due to slow progress I saw creeper as high as 73, didn't know that was even possible. The endgame was absolutely sick due to the massive force - pushed my PC to the limits. It looks to be the hardest map I made so far, or close to it.

Twi

I didn't find this map all that hard, just long? The beginning was a little bit touch and go, but I managed it on the first try. I ended up setting it down after a little under an hour, when I'd just nullified the first emitter and connected to the first totem.
Currently watching: ARIA, Dog Days, and other unlikely things.
And some likely things, too!

Builder17

Quote from: AutoPost on May 22, 2020, 11:34:27 AM
I saw creeper as high as 73, didn't know that was even possible.

You can modify emitters, spore towers and runner nests by double clicking on them (on editor), in case you didn't know.

Just don't set emitter amt too high. :)

Heisenberg

Quote from: Twi on May 22, 2020, 12:44:44 PM
I didn't find this map all that hard, just long? The beginning was a little bit touch and go, but I managed it on the first try. I ended up setting it down after a little under an hour, when I'd just nullified the first emitter and connected to the first totem.

It"s especially securing the first 3 islands - I got off to a very slow start.  Once you have a totem and ore, you become pretty much unstoppable - I haven't found a good design yet to keep you at edge the whole time - also I need to be able to complete the map myself, otherwise I can't publish  8)

Heisenberg

Quote from: Builder17 on May 22, 2020, 01:59:42 PM
Quote from: AutoPost on May 22, 2020, 11:34:27 AM
I saw creeper as high as 73, didn't know that was even possible.

You can modify emitters, spore towers and runner nests by double clicking on them (on editor), in case you didn't know.

Just don't set emitter amt too high. :)

I always stick to defaults, just put a certain amount of emitters - maybe something to look into - can the amount emitted also vary during the game?- that would be nice

marvinitfox

Quote from: Heisenberg on May 22, 2020, 02:19:00 PM
I always stick to defaults, just put a certain amount of emitters - maybe something to look into - can the amount emitted also vary during the game?- that would be nice
To have a specific emitter change its value, requires some crpl programming. this is a bit technical.

But you can have a "normal" emitter with very high output, that also has a very long delay before first output begins.
This works effectively as a timebomb, going off after XX minutes.

What some people also use is a *monster* emitter, on an island surrounded by void.
Once the island creep gets to a ludicrous level (500-1000-ish), it starts spilling over into the void.
This also makes for a nice time-delay menace, and stopping that tidal wave can be difficult!!

marvinitfox

This map is quite easy,
but it is just too coffee-dacious for me.

hm, wrong word.
un-beer-able?
nono, not that either. But it's some sort of beverage i think...

Tea-deous, maybe?

=====
Seriously though.
Using the flooded-plains method to prevent initial expansion *is* a viable tool, but you should be wary of overusing it.
It *does* substantially reduce a map's enjoyability, and adds many minutes to the playthrough without actually adding any value.

Heisenberg

Quote from: marvinitfox on May 23, 2020, 01:25:27 PM

Tea-deous, maybe?

=====
Seriously though.
Using the flooded-plains method to prevent initial expansion *is* a viable tool, but you should be wary of overusing it.
It *does* substantially reduce a map's enjoyability, and adds many minutes to the playthrough without actually adding any value.

Thanks for the feedback - I'm looking at some new methods to keep the player at edge during the whole playthrough - may need a couple of tryouts to make it work

fractalman

I kinda enjoyed this map. Took a little bit to build my actual base; I didn't have much trouble getting established (simply dumping all three command nodes down gave me plenty of energy at the start, even though two were in creeper), and then I just...built up a ridiculous supply of energy, berthas, and other assault stuff to guppy into that spot near the top, for just shy of 40 minutes for my overall time.