Particle Fleet multiplayer VS. possibility

Started by derpendary, March 18, 2018, 11:38:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derpendary

I was thinking about how in almost every game, you are capable of creating the polar opposite (and vice versa for your enemy) of the enemy. in the CW games there is anti-creeper, and in Particle Fleet you have benign Particulate, Emergent, and even ships. I was also thinking about how you are capable of making benign doppelgangers and came up with the idea--what if you play against other players of the game?

My idea was that there could be a mode that pits two or more players against each other--developing ships, focusing Particulate, and targeting the HQ. I have seen a map WITH an enemy HQ ship, so I know it is possible. I also thought about the doppelgangers and came up with another idea for them. Perhaps, a mode that allows the player to, within range of a central point, perhaps the HQ, place energy mines, particulate emitters, doppelganger spawners, and entire ship spawners, at the cost of energy. perhaps a primary cost for a ship/doppelganger price, and a secondary cost for the type it produces.

I think this is a really unique idea, and that it has some real potential, not unlike how Plague Inc. Evolved has managed a great multiplayer mode!

GoodMorning

While it could be done, I doubt that it will be. PF is a finished game, and multiplayer is liable to induce lag in a simulation.

How would you handle pausing, this being a significant element of gameplay, when the players do not agree?
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Sorrontis

I can only imagine simulation lag with two full fleets of large ships. *shudder*
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

GoodMorning

Have the person with the more powerful rig run the sim. The fact that it needs latency of under 0.03sec to run without lag is irrelevant. Good luck running scripting.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.