Custom Map #1224: Implosion. By: RIS

Started by AutoPost, September 13, 2018, 05:54:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1224: Implosion

Author: RIS
Size: 500x500

Desc:
Collect the data core in the center and all the ship designs. The edges are more forgiving than the center.

Intaka

There is a repeat message of the intro message at the victory conditions. I don't have time to edit and replay with the default fleet just to change that one error.

Also, the map is challenging in my estimation. You have to cover any ground you take with ships, which dilutes your fleet, as well as take into consideration the stun timing and the doppleganger targets.

reddwarf12

Any tips on how to get started?  Anything I try to build just gets overwhelmed by doppelgangers, who can rebuild faster than I can build. Thanks!

pasqualz

I'm in agreement with Reddwarf12. I can barely build a small fleet before the particles and dopples begin to overwhelm me, then the first round of 5 or 6 stunners comes in and paralyzes my mine and fleet! Please give some starting hints, otherwise this is an unplayable map.

GoodMorning

I'll give a few...

Spoiler
Get a second mine from a corner. Maybe pick up a Marauder first.
[close]
Spoiler
Don't even try to build the entire fleet at once - the lathes, and one other, I'd suggest.
[close]
Spoiler
Take your time.
[close]
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Intaka

This is intended to be a tough map. Custom fleet, default fleet, doesn't matter. There is no way to blitz this instantly that I have found. It requires a bit of patience and covering your gains.

Tip 1: The first wave of dopplegangers will be the hardest. Kite your command ship backwards (use shift relocation to keep your orientation while retreating), keeping a single doppleganger in your laser fire (the most efficient damage per energy in the game) until you can soak the core and kill it. If done right you should only lose the very tip of your command ship and be ready for the next doppleganger in seconds. As you get a bit more firepower, you will be able to split up the dopplegangers and leave fleet bits which can withstand the dopplegangers alone as wards for energy mines. The Hammerhead, the Varos, the Big One are all excellent doppleganger killers.

Tip 2: Make sure you take all your upgrades from the start, and stick that extra amp gem on either your command ship or something with a MK7(s).

Tip 3: Capture the edges. Get your energy rolling. The stunners and the dopplegangers are less threatening when they are more spread across the map. Although, keep in mind, your fleet will be spread too. Because...

Tip 4: Use ships like cruisers to "cover" energy mines, by parking them in front to eat particulate. So you can "keep" your gains. There is a ship at every energy mine, use them as blockers.

Tip 5: If you have to "cover" with a ship that can't kill a doppleganger, keep something that can in the next energy mine.

Tip 6: The sooner you can swoop in to kill ANY stunner or doppleganger production structure the easier it gets. Even if you lose a ship or two... getting rid of 1 stunner and 1 doppleganger will make the map 25% easier at the outer edges for the rest of the game. Note that I have been unable to do this as a "starting" move. There's just too much risk in the center without some covering fire.

I hope that's helpful. Appreciate the feedback. Please give these tips a try and see if it becomes a rewarding map to win once you have fought for every inch of ground you gain (and hold)!

Intaka

As of this post, 217 people have downloaded the map. Only 14 have finished. It is not a freebie win by any stretch! If you win, you will have earned it. I actually believe the map is winnable without the 2 x Varos and 2 x Carriers available near the center... but I thought they reduced the clean up slog once you were over the hump.

Johnny Haywire

Hey, I really like this map! It actually IS fairly challenging, but not so much that it's impossible.

The particulate isn't quite as strong as it looks. At least not after playing Sorrontis' maps.  :P

Spoiler
You don't need to take all the outside mines. If you just take two sides, a good bit of particulate will swarm harmlessly around the mines you don't take.
[close]

I took the left and bottom first, then rushed the middle with multiple attacks. Only lost a couple ships, which wasn't nearly as bad as I thought.

Spoiler
The class C is a great tank because of its shield & fuel tank. The Varro can help keep particulates at bay by shooting particulate with the mk7's and also by blowing up ships, which scatters particulate.
[close]

Great job on the map! Thanks for making something that's a bit challenging - it's great to have a change of pace every now and then  ;D ;D
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?