Creeper World 3D.... again

Started by Grun, April 02, 2013, 09:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grun

Yes Penguin,
but how would you check for such???? Think about it say there 200 packets currently in circulation with an average of 10 nodes to visit each that a check for each time a unit destroyed which would be quite intesive and cause potential lag (well on lower end comps). Now another alternative is to have the node itself a list which contains a of all packet requests which use's itself, this way it only needs to go back on destruction to remove that one packet (or multiple if multiple nodes packets using itself) which in turn can fire the request from the reciver for another packet. This way it would only be intensive if it was a high traffic node such as the ones near comand centre which are less likly to be destroyed. This would be a lot more code but would be a lot better for performance, this is the way I belive I will introduce (when I get chance, just started a new job :P ).

This is what I was trying to explain about the complex aspects of programming, it not the code or API more the logic. It also the thing which I love about programming as I imagine most game programmers do (well it love hate sort of thing).

Grun

Kingo

You hit it on the head, grun.
The logic is what makes games unique and fun, and can make programming fun too, but it can be a real annoyance at some times.

thepenguin

I'll leave it to you, as I don't have the source code to make a judgement on whatever kind of mess you have there. :)
We have become the creeper...

Grun

lol penguin :P

you seem to know your code so will try and explain as quick as i can.....

I have list of all objects including the terrain camera and creeper, these are base classes so have multiple which inherite off which dont effect this proble. Each base class has a matrix so that how to get position of each.

So im thinking..... Take the start and end location and pass to a function, this function would create a duplicate of the object list (may look at way of remofing non route stuff) and take it from there. Other than that im very open to ideas.

Grun

Ninja

I have nothing to say on the coding conversation. :-X I have everything to say on the game and how awesome it looks so far. Keep going, Grun! It looks AMAZING! I'd love to play a 3D creeper world.  ;D

Kingo

thepenguin

I was giving the packet routing more thought, but I can't come up with anything better than what you have.
We have become the creeper...

Grun

Yup penguin think that best I could manage so will look at doing such :)

Kingo, this is just somthing I do in spare time, I will try and best update but lots of other things get priority, will try and do some small quick flashy updates for visual effect but it when I get chance. Still messing with code for the pathfinding, i could get somthing that worked very easy for a demo but I stress test to extreme lengths all I do (tryed a demo with 1000 blaster and still got resonable framerate :) which I didnt record till I had such). There no point in programming just for a video/demo for games. If I get chance Im currently messing with particle effects on other projects, will try and add such to the shot collision with creeper (and sort out height for shot from blaster), that way I can get an update sooner, but you know plans change very quickly. Also..... CW3 on the horizon, think that will put a big delay on this by quite a while :P . Dam Virgil I want CW3 :P

Grun

Kingo

I understand Grun :)
I myself am working on a 2D shooter game, so far i've been making graphics for my game, and its a relaxing experience.