Map construction advice, learned the hard way.

Started by GoodMorning, June 06, 2017, 11:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoodMorning

While every map is different, I think the following usually apply:

• Symmetry is bad. Not aesthetic symmetry, which can be pleasant, but strategic symmetry. If assaulting the left is exactly like assaulting the right, then your map is twice as large as it needs to be.
  • "The One True Path" is generally either frustrating or dull. If there's only one way to win, then better times are a matter of framewise play. Unless it's invisible to the player, in which case it's merely irritating to trial-and-error through.
  • Aeon Construction, Inc. went out of business some time ago. If your map requires a supercapital to win, prebuild it or use some of the scripting available in other topics on this board.
  • Repeating repeated repetition becomes dull fast. If you have many similar, elements, ensure that taking one or two of them will make the rest fall relatively easily. For instance, taking two of five powerful turrets might allow a strike at the energy mine supplying them.
  • Climb out of the sandbox. If your map is to test ships, don't upload it. If it can be steamrolled with the initial fleet, it is probably dull.
  • Don't hide critical information in late pages of dialogue. Tell what needs telling immediately, and let those who are interested turn the page.

Many of these I have learned by making inferior-quality maps (such as what is now the second-lowest rated map on the Exchange). At present, I have completed every map on the Exchange, and so some of these are based on trends there (happily, these are clearing up).

Does anyone else have suggestions?
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Sorrontis

Yep.. I've got one or two.

• Challenge yourself as a map maker. Attempt to create things you didn't think of before. They can make for interesting maps!
  • Build maps that make you want to rage quit. And then, understand why you feel that way. Others will feel it too.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

J

• Try to beat your map in ways you didn't think of. I've often left a very easy way to victory in a map, taking away the intended challenge.