Custom Map: Nice Job 21: The Diver

Started by AutoPost, June 25, 2010, 12:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: Nice Job 21: The Diver

Author: UpperKEES

Desc:
All techs available from the start, plenty of space to build, six upgrades, no spores, each emitter can be capped by just one blaster and no emitters near (a moveable) Odin City. Easy? No, Hard. Keep breathing!

UpperKEES

Title:
Nice Job 21: The Diver
Difficulty:
Hard
Creeper type:
Land only
Remarks:
All techs available from the start, plenty of space to build, six upgrades, no spores, each emitter can be capped by just one blaster and no emitters near (a moveable) Odin City. Easy? No, Hard. Keep breathing!

Description:
You hear on your marine radio that a sailing yacht has sunk close to your location. The ship has broken in two parts and has become a wreck.

Valuable goods are scattered around on the ocean bed. Wreck diving is your specialty, so you decide to give it a shot.

Enjoy your dive! I hope you'll have enough oxygen to make it all the way down....

Download page:
Nice Job 21: The Diver
Full size screen shot:

More maps:
Apply here for another job ;)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

NNR_Alex

you know how easily this could be tweaked to look like another oil spill map? sorry i couldn't resist saying that after i thought for a second 'hey that could be oil spilling from the sunken yacht.  I'll post how i did on this map later.

UpperKEES

Yeah, but I've seen quite some oil spill maps already.

Besides that I prefer diving to oil cleaning.... ;)

Miss Melissa

how u did that in less n 13 mins is obviously beyond me!
great map as usual tho.
keep it up, thanks.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Miss Melissa on June 27, 2010, 09:28:13 AM
great map as usual tho.

Thanks Melissa! :)

how u did that in less n 13 mins is obviously beyond me!

I'm a certified diver; maybe that helps? ;)

I'm actually a bit surprised with the relatively low number of scores for this map till now. Of course it could be the nice weather, the soccer matches on tv or just the fact that it's weekend (I don't see many scores for other maps as well), but maybe this one is a bit on the tough side (or I just got a bit spoiled with the many scores for my latest maps.... :P).

Spoiler
As I wrote here, this is one of the maps that I designed to force the use of a mortar, because I was solving most maps by just using blasters and that got a bit boring, so the gameplay for this map is more versatile.
[close]

So an important tip is:

Spoiler
You can hold off the creeper for an amazingly long time by using 1 mortar and 2 blasters (if well placed, close to the 2 nearest totems).
[close]

keep it up, thanks.

Four more maps to come in this series (NJ-25 will be the last).

After that I'll start another series called "Hard Art". Not sure yet how many maps it will contain (I'll let it depend on the popularity of CW and the release of CW2), but the idea is that I take famous (often modern) paintings as the basis for a CW map. The next one in the Nice Job series (The Artist) will be a good example (although it's probably my hardest map ever, so I count on maybe 3-4 people able to finish it).

NNR_Alex

Quote from: UpperKEES on June 27, 2010, 01:05:59 PM
So an important tip is: you can hold off the creeper for an amazingly long time by using 1 mortar and 2 blasters (if well placed, close to the 2 nearest totems).

thanks for the tip i was thinking getting a mortar up almost right way would be a good idea after my failed attemps to use the blasters

UpperKEES

Quote from: NNR_Alex on June 27, 2010, 01:45:50 PM
So an important tip is: you can hold off the creeper for an amazingly long time by using 1 mortar and 2 blasters (if well placed, close to the 2 nearest totems).

thanks for the tip i was thinking getting a mortar up almost right way would be a good idea after my failed attemps to use the blasters

Spoiler
You still need a blaster first to prevent the creeper creeping up the bow of the yacht, but you'll have enough time to make some energy first. For a good score you always want to add weapons as late as possible and let them only shoot at creeper causing trouble. When the mortar is targetting shallow creeper better deactivate it temporarily or relocate it for a while.
[close]

Good luck and let me know if you need more tips. :)

Fisherck

Hmmm... My score did not show up again. I wonder why? Well, I will redownload the map, try again and see if that works.
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

UpperKEES

Man, that must be a pain in the *ss! That's about 5 times now, isn't it? Make sure your network card doesn't go into power save mode after not using your connection for a while. Laptops often have that feature. You might want to activate your connection by switching to your browser before submitting your score. The good thing is that you'll most likely improve your score.... ;)

Miss Melissa

After that I'll start another series called "Hard Art". Not sure yet how many maps it will contain (I'll let it depend on the popularity of CW and the release of CW2), but the idea is that I take famous (often modern) paintings as the basis for a CW map. The next one in the Nice Job series (The Artist) will be a good example (although it's probably my hardest map ever, so I count on maybe 3-4 people able to finish it).

as an artist myself, id be interested to see what u come up with.  :)

RichieRich

No idea how you got that time  :DI was almost 7 minutes alone getting the power up to spread out.

I need to rethink things. The last few maps have been very challenging to get good times in.

Thanks again.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Miss Melissa on June 28, 2010, 06:56:26 AM

as an artist myself, id be interested to see what u come up with.  :)

You are? Do you paint? If you are creating modern art (because that's easier to convert into a map because of the shapes used), I could use one of your works as well if you like. I've not heard of any other painter playing CW, so you're probably the most famous artist in Creeper World. ;D It would be an honour to design something for one of the best players of my maps. :)

Quote from: RichieRich on June 28, 2010, 08:11:55 AM
No idea how you got that time  :DI was almost 7 minutes alone getting the power up to spread out.

Spoiler
Hmmm, I'm not exactly sure how much time it took me to set up all power, speed nodes and weapons (I guess 5-6 minutes), but I just filled up the complete area around OC (bordered by the water surface and the ship's mast). Never added anything after that, but went straight for the totems (2 fronts).
[close]

Quote from: RichieRich on June 28, 2010, 08:11:55 AM
I need to rethink things. The last few maps have been very challenging to get good times in.

Yeah, I guess they got a little harder. ;) Three out of the last four will be ever tougher, but when I look at the completion times that people are able to obtain I assume that players are getting better and offer more competition. Playing a lot of maps is the best available tutorial possible, so hopefully I've contributed a bit by giving tips while letting people find the main solution themselves.

I really wouldn't doubt your skills though, as I noticed yesterday that you have the 3rd spot for Alien Alter Ruin. :) I consider this one of the toughest maps available, so you're doing fine! ;)

Fisherck

That might just be the problem. I checked and made sure it was connected and it worked. Only time will tell if it keeps working.

I broke twenty! not bad. :) I did improve too, so no complaints I guess. ;D
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

UpperKEES

Great score Fisherck! I have the impression you improved your skills quickly lately. :)

I hope we've identified the problem, so you won't experience it again. You can turn off power save mode for your network card separately; that might be the best option, so you don't have to 'activate' your connection over and over.