Started by AutoPost, November 09, 2011, 03:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #433: CEPHEID VARIABLE

Author: Eudrick

Desc:
The last "known" Styglek star misson.

SmileyCoder

A nice concept map, of how to use stacked emitters. I however think that some extra time spent on balance, would take your maps a level up.
Best of luck with your game,
TheSmileyCoder

TheSmileyCoders YouTube channel feat. tutorials on using Treeviews in Access
I might have promised fool proof, but I never promised user proof.

Karsten75

Fun map. Eudrick, your last few maps was a pleasant surprise. It used to be these immense slugfests, but the last few I played were not like that and were good fun.

eudrick

Quote from: SmileyCoder on November 09, 2011, 04:23:32 AM
A nice concept map, of how to use stacked emitters.
Quote from: Karsten75 on November 09, 2011, 09:18:01 AM
Fun map. Eudrick, your last few maps was a pleasant surprise. It used to be these immense slugfests, but the last few I played were not like that and were good fun.
Thanks!
Quote from: SmileyCoder on November 09, 2011, 04:23:32 AMI however think that some extra time spent on balance, would take your maps a level up.

What, or where, would've you changed in order to balance this better.  I spent close to 5 hours over a period of 8 days (time away from work and days off) tweaking the fields and emitters.  I agonized over the pre-built power (note that the reactors are double stacked) but opted to shorten the playing time by not forcing the player to build infrastructure.
Spoiler
Don't click on the next one unless you want to really spoil  the mystery
Spoiler
By doing that "rushers" miss out on the later power ups of the star.
[close]
[close]
Not complaining, I really want to know as balancing is one of my major flaws when designing maps.
Never teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Lazarus Long, Time Enough For Love, Robert A. Heinlein

DethbyIT

I thought the balance was just fine.
Based on the comments here, I laid back and watched things develop when I first played - good graphics and use of the map.

On the second run through I misjudged the mix of weapons, but still had some fun.

Thanks for yet another fun map.
dbit

PMouser

i cant figure out how to destroy such a huge emitter. you even have to hit it 20 tines. ty
Hi, I am a Bible believing christian.
I am a Youngevity distributor.