[spoilers] what will you do in the editor

Started by superzip, May 24, 2011, 06:03:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ebon Heart

The problem with land mines is, you can see what terrain cells have creeper in them.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

Nemoricus

Realistically, who's going to check every single cell for the presence of Creeper in them? And if it's just in one subcell of a terrain tile, it would be easy to miss. It'll probably be an effective trap the first time a person plays a map, though if they get overused that won't work as well.

Ebon Heart

ehh, subcells.... that's differnt I guess. But realistically, how do you fill just 1 subcell with creeper?? From what I understand, making entombed creeper atm involves creating a square of terrain around the space you want loaded, filling it when creeper, then making a terrain space in the creeper square... then removing the surrounding terrain. Like building a shield overlapping anti-creeper.

ontheworld

And if you look to your right,  you see a radar that shows all the creeper there is, even entombed creeper!

Ranakastrasz

Well, the campaign has creeper occupying the same spot as some terrain, and just the center sub-cell, so I would expect it would be extremely simple to do, as I imagine that the creeper overlay is separate from the terrain overlay, and since you can paint creeper, well. I think that there should be a required key like shift or ctrl, when painting creeper on teraign, as it would be somewhat hard to see that you made a mistake like that.

Sqaz

Quote from: Ranakastrasz on June 05, 2011, 09:42:35 AM
Well, the campaign has creeper occupying the same spot as some terrain, and just the center sub-cell, so I would expect it would be extremely simple to do, as I imagine that the creeper overlay is separate from the terrain overlay, and since you can paint creeper, well. I think that there should be a required key like shift or ctrl, when painting creeper on teraign, as it would be somewhat hard to see that you made a mistake like that.

I once heard that in order to create fields below a piece of terrain you first had to place the fields and then the terrain, because it wouldn't work the other way around.
If that's still the case and the same counts for creeper, you just have to paint your creeper, and place a piece of terrain above it.

Ebon Heart

Sqaz

Quote from: Ebon_Heart on June 05, 2011, 11:26:06 AM
that's what I said! lol

Just stating it with prove (as long as you can call a vague reference somewhere can be called evidence).

I just thought of this, in the first development video, mister V. cut of a part of creeper with terrain. Maybe there's a small frame where you can see whether there's creeper below it.

Katra

So what would happen if you detonate a conversion bomb next to a square of creeper saturated ground?
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

UpperKEES

Quote from: Katra on June 05, 2011, 08:28:32 PM
So what would happen if you detonate a conversion bomb next to a square of creeper saturated ground?

Good question! I think it shouldn't affect the entombed Creeper and it probably already works this way.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Ebon Heart

Quote from: UpperKEES on June 05, 2011, 08:43:28 PM
Quote from: Katra on June 05, 2011, 08:28:32 PM

Good question! I think it shouldn't affect the entombed Creeper and it probably already works this way.
I wouldn't be so sure. Remember, entombed creeper can be destroyed by launcher splash damage.

Kithros

I think conversion bombs probably won't hit inside terrain because the conversion bomb works by line of sight - launcher missiles and blasters probably ignore line of sight on their splash damage for performance issues (like in CW1).

UpperKEES

Quote from: Kithros on June 05, 2011, 09:30:37 PM
I think conversion bombs probably won't hit inside terrain because the conversion bomb works by line of sight - launcher missiles and blasters probably ignore line of sight on their splash damage for performance issues (like in CW1).

Exactly. This however doesn't prevent the player to time the detonation of the CB precisely with the last dig packet hitting the terrain cell.... ;)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview