Linux and OS X users

Started by knucracker, September 15, 2016, 08:01:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanTheGoodMan

macOS Sierra here.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
Processor: 2 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536MB

I am able to play the demo just fine. I do experience a crash when I try to start the game and I have my 4K external monitor attached as a second screen. If I disconnect the screen, however, then I can start the game and reattach the screen and play just fine. Attached is the crash dump.

Portelly

Quote from: DanTheGoodMan on September 29, 2016, 01:03:11 PM
macOS Sierra here.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
Processor: 2 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536MB

I am able to play the demo just fine. I do experience a crash when I try to start the game and I have my 4K external monitor attached as a second screen. If I disconnect the screen, however, then I can start the game and reattach the screen and play just fine. Attached is the crash dump.

Same problem here with a dual screen on my Mac mini. Same solution.
Although my screen are not 4K but 2 ASUS VW266H (1920x1200)

PnutbutterSasquatch

Works fine on my MBP:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
2.8 GHz Intel Core i7
Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
Built-in Display 2880x1800

ljw1004

I had two problems: "all black on launch" and "wrong aspect ratio"

MacBook Air (11", Early 2014)
1.4GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB
OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

I've not tried the demo on this machine. I just purchased the game, unzipped it, did Ctrl+Click > Open to get past Gatekeeper. The game spent about 30 seconds before it popped up its window. When it did pop up the window, the music plays, but the screen is completely black.

Then I did Window > FullScreen. At this point I was able to see the screen, and see it asking for my license key.

I did Window > FullScreen again, and it restored to a normal window, and it continued to display properly.

I'm playing through the prologue now. When I play it in full-screen (from Window > FullScreen) it displays in the wrong aspect ratio - a bit too stretched horizontally. When I play it in windowed mode, it has the correct aspect ratio.

If I enter fullscreen by going to the in-game settings menu and clicking the fullscreen button, then it displays fullscreen in the correct aspect ratio. Okay, I've played up to story level 3 like this.

Dang it's hard to play on a Mac trackpad! I'm going to go buy a mouse tomorrow.

coruun

I successfully tried the demo in VirtualBox with a fresh Ubuntu 16.04. Though, the performance was horrible.

The game is running very fine with Steam on ArchLinux. But I noticed two problems:

• The already reported vertical lines on land.
  • The fonts are sometimes too large, which leads to cropped text.

Kharnellius

Quote from: Jonny_D on September 20, 2016, 03:40:48 PM
Hey Virgil,

Sent you my specs before but I might as well send you them here too. I'm attaching a screen snippet from my specs info. For the most part the game runs okay aside from that vertical line thingy on the land pieces. Right now she's clocking at around 12 to 16fps on a very large map with busy particle action. Kinda wish I could get the performance higher but it might be my graphics card. Other than that the game runs perfectly fine :)

Yeah, the 256MB for the graphics card is very low.  For comparison, my gfx card has 4GB (4000 MB) or in other words, 16 times the memory yours has.  That doesn't even take into consideration the difference in processing speed.  Granted mine is brand new, but there are even cards with 6GB, 8GB, and (coming soon) 16GB.

UncleBod

At last one problem is solved.
In the Steam Fora nanognome wrote:
QuoteNote for non-English Linux users - this game is affected by Unity locale bug
Just like many other Unity games, it basically doesn't work properly on non-US locales on Linux. On Russian locale I wasn't even able to complete the very first mission.

Standard workaround - click "Set Launch Command" in Steam's game properties dialog and set it to
LC_ALL=C %command%
With this workaround it seems everything works fine.

Now I remember. KSP has the same issue with non english Linux installs. Unity takes the language inforamtion for how to hanlde numbers. Several European countries uses comma in stead of decimal point, so Unity gets lost...

So, in steam, add the line above at "Properties"/"Game launch options".
If you run the Demo from a shell prompt use the line:
LC_ALL=C ./PFLaunch

/UncleBod
Have fun playing. I will.

krz

Hello everyone,

Didn't work for me at first on Steam version, Mac OS X 10.10. The screen turned almost empty and looked like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0su8fwio2hn8lhq/Screenshot%202016-10-01%2011.30.36.png?dl=0

Disabling Steam in-game overlay resolved this issue. (in Game settings)

stdout

From Day 1 PF has been working great for me on Linux (Fedora and Centos).

One thing has cropped up, though: it seems waypoints don't work. You select a ship, hold shift and click elsewhere, but that does nothing. Isn't that the right way to make the waypoints?

GoodMorning

Intended behaviour. Waypoints are Omni-only at the moment, likely to prevent easy over-land invincibility exploits.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

stdout

I missed that detail, thanks. Confirmed Omni waypoints do work.

spenneps

hello runnug ubuntu 16.04 on i5 laptop 4g ram 64bit, onboard intel graphics.  Game runs fine exept slow going between menu screens and main menu screen is glitchy, ie options flash, problems only on menu screen and only visual functionality unimpaired.
Thanks for great game

thumbmaster

My son is running this on his 13" MacBook Pro (1280x800). When he uses the mission editor, some palettes go off-screen and there's no way to move them. For example, the "General Settings" palette in this screen shot. The laptop is running 10.11.6.
Twas a sad day when we mothballed Creeper World for Particle Fleet.

Karsten75

Quote from: thumbmaster on October 12, 2016, 06:10:36 PM
My son is running this on his 13" MacBook Pro (1280x800). When he uses the mission editor, some palettes go off-screen and there's no way to move them. For example, the "General Settings" palette in this screen shot. The laptop is running 10.11.6.

Try adjusting the UI scaling in the Graphics menu.

thumbmaster

Quote from: Karsten75 on October 12, 2016, 06:56:53 PM
Quote from: thumbmaster on October 12, 2016, 06:10:36 PM

Try adjusting the UI scaling in the Graphics menu.

That took care of it! Thanks! He's never been so excited about a game (except Minecraft).
Twas a sad day when we mothballed Creeper World for Particle Fleet.