Custom ship editor: build ships up to size 128x128 (v0.3.4)

Started by kajacx, December 20, 2016, 08:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

planetfall

Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

kajacx

Automatic Particle Fleet data folder detection is going wonderfully (sarcasm).
Ubuntu, what are doing?
[close]
Why do work yourself, when you can write a program that will do the work for you.

tornado

Quote from: kajacx on March 23, 2017, 11:07:34 AM
Automatic Particle Fleet data folder detection is going wonderfully (sarcasm).
Ubuntu, what are doing?
[close]

I just....What?
This seems to be an issue with Ubuntu, so not much anyone can do about is(short of finding another way of finding directories).
All I can offer is my sympathy.
Now CEO of Particular Endeavors. http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=23752.new#new
We apologize for all inconveniences that we caused.
Quotefirst, you have to imagine a very big box, fitting inside a very samll box.
then, you have to build one

kajacx

Thankfully its not an issue with ubuntu, there were some invisible characters in there. I got the path from planetfall (I think) on chat, so the chat client probably insterted some line breaks since the whole paths didnt fit into the chat window.
Why do work yourself, when you can write a program that will do the work for you.

Bluepikmin64

I don't know how complicated this would be, but maybe put the starting command module in the center of the editor. Because most ships usually have a centered command module and it's a bit of a hassle to move it to the center. I don't know, that's just my opinion.
"They named us the Straxoi, the blind. They named themselves the Seloi, the enlightened. . . I leave this message for whoever's next. When the time comes. . ." ~ Unknown source

Keeper Decagon

Quote from: Bluepikmin64 on March 24, 2017, 05:18:33 PM
I don't know how complicated this would be, but maybe put the starting command module in the center of the editor. Because most ships usually have a centered command module and it's a bit of a hassle to move it to the center. I don't know, that's just my opinion.

Instead of moving the command module to the centre, you can simply delete it and rebuild it in the centre of the grid, since you can replace the command module at will anyways.
"For me, there is no honour or glory. No praise to be had for what I do. I fulfill my purpose for the protection of all... neither of us are going to make it out of here alive." - ?? ??, 145th CE

kajacx

Quote from: Bluepikmin64 on March 24, 2017, 05:18:33 PM

To be honest I don't know what you want. Do you want the staring ship (5x5 block with 1 command module) and loaded ships be at the center of the editor, instead of the left-top corner? Yea, that would be quite easy to do. What I don't understand is how moving the command module (which is quite easy, jsut delete it and place it elsewhere) is related to moving the entire ship in the editor.

Bluepikmin64

QuoteWhat I don't understand is how moving the command module (which is quite easy, just delete it and place it elsewhere) is related to moving the entire ship in the editor.

1. I didn't know what exactly to call the starting 5X5 square so, I just called the whole thing the "Command Module."
2. I realize this now, but when  wrote the comment, it had never gone through my head that I could just delete the starting part and put it in the center. And most of my extra large ships have a centered or mostly centered Command Module, so I constantly click the move buttons to get the 5X5 to the center. My comment was mainly because I can be incredibly ignorant at times. :D
(P.S. Deleting the command module and rebuilding it will actually make designing ships so much easier.)
"They named us the Straxoi, the blind. They named themselves the Seloi, the enlightened. . . I leave this message for whoever's next. When the time comes. . ." ~ Unknown source

tornado

Woot. This is getting more and more awesome. Couple of minor complaints.
1: Ony way to remove ship parts is to delete the .png and .txt file.
2: Updates too often, I can't keep up[Sarcasm :) ].

Also, you got it working on Linux! now all i have to do is figure what I'm doing.
Now CEO of Particular Endeavors. http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=23752.new#new
Quotefirst, you have to imagine a very big box, fitting inside a very samll box.

tornado

Bug Report!
Not sure how to describe this, just look at the picture.

Second report:
Turns out that mirror mode doesn't auto-flip custom sections, like those little laser thing i have on this ship. if I was mirroring vertically, they would be backward.

kajacx

Hm, interesting. Can you give me more info on how did this happen? Your ship is definitely symetrical, however the mirror is placed one cell off. Did you place the mirror there now, or was it there like that the entire time? Also I assume you are placing the laser in the center on the screenshot.

Also "if it was mirroring the verticaly, they would be backward". Yes they would, but you are using a horizontal mirror, so the lasers seem to be rotating corretly.

There is, however, a rotation bug where parts are not rotated correctly if you use both vertical and horizontal mirror at the same time. It will be fixed today.

As to the wrong position, there is a bug when placing ship parts that I managed to recreate only twice and have no idea what is causing it. Resetting the program fixed it both times, so just save your ship and try to restart.

tornado

ok, the first bug was me placing the mirror one line off(and missing that somehow).
The second one is reproducible, weirdly.
See images.
Note: it works in the horizontal mirror, vertical mirror, and the rotation mirror, just not vertical and horizontal at the same time.
I can see how you missed that, as that's kind of and edge case(And is most likely the kind of error you get when rounding is based off of equivalent string length).

RedAlien

So, If you look at the pictures, it shows whats going on (For the most part). And I was wondering if this had something to do with the fact that I have a OSX platform. So basicly, whenever I try to save the ships as well as export them, the ship.txt doesn't convert into a .dat file (Says it cannot preform that task). If you have anything that could help me in this situation please tell me

Three_Pryme

I may be overlooking this whole thing but As much as i want to download and use this program in particle fleet to make supermassive ships. It looks very complex and hard to use. Being the computer noob that I am, I have no experience in coding, programing, or using any programs like java, so i may not be able to use it due to me not knowing how to.

EDIT: If anyone would be willing to take some time, i have a few ship requests for you to make for me. PM me if you would like to help me out. Thanks
Commanding officer in particle extermination

Steam ID:Three_Pryme

Sorrontis

hello Three_Prime

download  the program, make your ship, and then press the export button at the bottom of the program. Copy the export data in notepad and send it to me. I'll convert it to a vessel file that you can insert into your ships folder for you to use.

Don't forget to give it a name, a designer (you) and a description.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."