Better Sound Quality

Started by Mathias, June 09, 2011, 09:51:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathias

Can we please have a better sound quality in an update? I mean what good is it to have stereo sound, when both channels sound like shit because they only have 22050 Hz sampling frequency? Its not the 90s anymore.

J

I allways mute it and play other music ;D

UpperKEES

Nothing wrong with the sound quality of this game. I'm playing the sounds over my high quality surround system which sounds all fine to me. It's not like you listen to a studio recording; sampling at a higher rate is only interesting when the original recordings are of a higher quality as well.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Mathias

If you don't hear the difference between 22kHz and 44/48kHz sound then you obviously paid way to much for your high quality audio system.
I'm mainly talking about the music BTW.
I don't know how the music was created, but I very much doubt it couldn't have been exported with a higher sampling frequency. Every synthesizer produces higher quality then 22 kHz and unless you use your cellphone or a cheap headset to record audio the quality will improve from a higher sampling frequency.

UpperKEES

Just saying I'm not bothered, because I'm playing a computer game instead of listening to an orchestra. I always have the volume of the music lower than the volume of the game sounds.

Mathias

Well ok but from my point of view there is a huge difference between "Nothing wrong with the sound quality of this game" and "I'm not bothered". I am bothered, thats what I was writing. If youre not bothered, your win.

Grauniad

Dude, seriously. The music will be dead boring after the 3rd mission. Use the options, turn down the music volume and then play your own music selection. That way not only do you get great sound quality, you also get stuff you like and a lot of variety.  You win all-around.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Mathias

Ok, I give up, just keep the crappy music. I wonder why it is there in the first place when youre supposed to turn it off to not get ear cancer.

Grauniad

We were hoping you were *not* going to turn it off.....  :)

Ebon Heart

Quote from: Grauniad on June 09, 2011, 04:30:14 PM
Dude, seriously. The music will be dead boring after the 3rd mission. Use the options, turn down the music volume and then play your own music selection. That way not only do you get great sound quality, you also get stuff you like and a lot of variety.  You win all-around.
the cw1 music got kinda boring... but the cw2 music was epic! of course, even that gets old... maybe for cw3, the missions all need their own sound track or something. Or at least something else to play during the exiting parts.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

knucracker

The music is encoded at 48kbps, stereo, and 'best' mode in flash CS5. This is 44khz, stereo, 16bit music. How are you determining that it is 22khz encoded?  I've run it through a 5.1 surround system in a 20x15' theater room and it sounds pretty reasonable to me. 

Grauniad

He has pretty "good" ears. No cancer there. :)

Mathias

Well first I heard the sound was pretty bad. Then I thought about posting, but then I thought why not look up why its that bad. So I used some swf resource extractor to extract the MP3s. And at least mediainfo and mplayer tell me its 22kHz.
To be honest, I thought about filing it as a bug, because I don't think it was intended...
You and kees probably have a development/beta version, perhaps its already fixed? I have ver 0212 which is the latest public one I guess?
Or perhaps flash thinks that 48kbps is to low for Stereo, so it decreases the quality to 22kHz to compensate?

BTW: Are there a bunch of not played MP3s in the swf or do I just not remember them?

Kamron3

Looks like we have a music hipster.

Unless it sounds blocky. I can't tell a single difference between 22kHz and 48kHz.

Too lazy atm to install a decompiler, take a few screenshots or something to quell the anger of the music hipster.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Mathias on June 09, 2011, 08:19:43 PM
You and kees probably have a development/beta version, perhaps its already fixed? I have ver 0212 which is the latest public one I guess?

Nothing changed between build 0212 and the current one (regarding sound).

Glad to read both my ears and surround system are working fine. :) *cancels doctor appointment*