Maker Production Multiplier keyboard shortcut

Started by Hadamard, May 19, 2011, 10:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hadamard

Almost all actions have a keyboard shortcut, which is great: one hand on the keyboard + one on the mouse == high efficiency.
But surprise: there's no shortcut for setting production multipliers for makers. That forces a few extra mouse clicks. It's obviously not a game breaker, but (at least for me) it disrupts the flow of commands (click to select unit, keypress to issue order, space, and on to another unit right next to the previous one, requiring only minimal mouse movement).
All in all, it's minor, but enough to make me write this post, so take notice :)

UpperKEES

Yeah, same for repulsor beam length. Hopefully Virgil will add them later on.

And even more convenient: apply these kind of actions to multiple unit selections as well, just like (dis)arm and (de)activate.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

thepenguin

maybe a  j|k|l
j=1
k=2
l=4

???

not used by anything already (that I know of)

and repulsors can use the numpad
We have become the creeper...

mthw2vc

Grauniad

It also has been a requested feature since before beta.... :(

Maybe soon Virgil will get a round tuit. :D
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Fisker

Quote from: thepenguin on May 20, 2011, 06:48:05 AM
maybe a  j|k|l
j=1
k=2
l=4

???

not used by anything already (that I know of)

I'd say a radial menu for all of them, keybinds only make sense on the maker, the repulser, maker, darkbeam, etc. might as well be controlled by mouse, because we're wasting precious time if we have to let go of the mouse to use the numpad.

UpperKEES

Quote from: mthw2vc on May 20, 2011, 08:41:40 AM
Quote from: thepenguin on May 20, 2011, 06:48:05 AM
No, not all keyboards have numpads...

They do, but you may have to use the Fn-key (often indicated in blue).

Quote from: Fisker on May 20, 2011, 11:07:37 AM
I'd say a radial menu for all of them, keybinds only make sense on the maker, the repulser, maker, darkbeam, etc. might as well be controlled by mouse, because we're wasting precious time if we have to let go of the mouse to use the numpad.

Use your right hand for the mouse and your left hand for the keyboard (or switch if left-handed). Key binds always work faster and all functionality is already accessible by mouse.

Fisker

Quote from: UpperKEES on May 20, 2011, 01:50:34 PMUse your right hand for the mouse and your left hand for the keyboard (or switch if left-handed). Key binds always work faster and all functionality is already accessible by mouse.

I do know how a keyboard works, good luck accessing the numpad with your left hand.

UpperKEES

I've played many FPS's and always bound my weapons & scripts to the numpad.

There is a nasty trick involved though! You have to move your keyboard 20-30 cm (8-12 inch) to the left.... :P

Besides that it concerns functionality that you won't use every 10 seconds.

Fisker

Quote from: UpperKEES on May 20, 2011, 02:10:32 PM
I've played many FPS's and always bound my weapons & scripts to the numpad.

There is a nasty trick involved though! You have to move your keyboard 20-30 cm (8-12 inch) to the left.... :P

Besides that it concerns functionality that you won't use every 10 seconds.

Well since you've used it yourself, then you must also be aware that a simple mouse radial menu would be much faster and comfortable than using the numpad :)

UpperKEES

Personal preferences I guess....

I like to keep my mouse for moving and selecting units and I like to be able to see all parts of the screen at all times. :)

Fisker

Well i agree with that, but i still think that most people will be just as annoyed with a numpad as they are annoyed with the current system of manually selecting the option with the mouse, even binding 1-8 would be better in my opinion.

However my idea wasn't about making some complex radial menu system (Which is also why i left the maker out, as it doesn't make sense for that type of unit), but you would simply select the unit, then hold it down, and then just place the mouse in the direction you want it to face.

It's technically still a radial menu, but it's completely invisible.

Grauniad

I play on a laptop, and to turn on the numpad, I have to hit a Fn+NumLk, then I nerf keys U, I, O, P, J, K, L, and a few others.  Guess what I need the "P" key for?
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

UpperKEES

Quote from: Fisker on May 20, 2011, 04:21:21 PM
you would simply select the unit, then hold it down, and then just place the mouse in the direction you want it to face.

Oh, I like that! :)

Quote from: Grauniad on May 20, 2011, 04:24:32 PM
I play on a laptop, and to turn on the numpad, I have to hit a Fn+NumLk, then I nerf keys U, I, O, P, J, K, L, and a few others.  Guess what I need the "P" key for?

Well, Fn+P isn't the same as P, but I agree it isn't the most convenient setup (which goes for any key combo). I guess it's the price you pay for using a laptop with a limited keyboard. I'd plug in a USB-keyboard if I were you. (No, I actually wouldn't have bought a laptop if I were you. ;) They s*ck for gaming!)

Edit: I suggested being able to pick your own key binds ages ago....

Ebon Heart

Quote from: Fisker on May 20, 2011, 04:21:21 PM
Well i agree with that, but i still think that most people will be just as annoyed with a numpad as they are annoyed with the current system of manually selecting the option with the mouse, even binding 1-8 would be better in my opinion.

However my idea wasn't about making some complex radial menu system (Which is also why i left the maker out, as it doesn't make sense for that type of unit), but you would simply select the unit, then hold it down, and then just place the mouse in the direction you want it to face.

It's technically still a radial menu, but it's completely invisible.
that could be helpful, but it could also suck if yours mouse freezes up and you point it in the exact wrong direction.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!