Custom Map #14: MD 1: The Test

Started by AutoPost, August 16, 2011, 04:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisherck

Quote from: UpperKEES on October 08, 2011, 11:13:16 PM
Nice map again Fish! :)

Looking at your time I'm not sure if the opening text is a bit misleading about what to do first.... ;)
Quote from: Kithros on October 08, 2011, 11:42:44 PM
Not misleading just.. incomplete (at least the way I did it). I might play through this again sometime, I made lots of small mistakes.
I actually did exactly what the opening said. :) For those who understand the gamplay better, I (purposefully ;)) left a "back door". But that comes after what I said in the beginning. I can't think of another way to start the map "economically" without putting shields to block the cavern...
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

UpperKEES

Sorry, I figured you used the same approach that I tried:

Spoiler
Fly the LS to the bottom of the map right at the start and park it under the green gem. ;) Haven't tried to optimize this approach though; I never built any shields, so I had to spend quite some time cleaning up. The nice thing is that you are never in danger.
[close]
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Ranakastrasz

I still cannot find any way to survive with a shield, without backdooring. How do you do it?

Kithros

To start with, don't bother with using repulsors to defend the front - using repulsors in the opposite direction of a directional field is horribly inefficient (to be clear, I'm not saying repulsors are useless on this map - it's ok to use repulsors perpendicular to the fields, just not in the same/opposite direction)

Ideally if you don't fly under you should try to dig down and nullify the emitters quickly to stop the creeper from piling up under the shields - while it's entirely possible to hold the creeper off, it is far better for your time if you can rush to the emitters before you run out of room for shields. If you have to hold the creeper off, be sure to build 4-5 launchers or so to kill off the creeper before using any blasters, blasters against high densities are a bad idea. Once the densities have died down a bit you might want to disable 1 or 2 of the launchers and use some blasters - as long as you've built reactors everywhere you can you should be fine defending yourself at that point.

Ekira84

I restarted this one a fair few times before i clicked on about moving the ship  :-\

It was fun though!